Player Watch #51 Jacob Blight - Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Why the **** would we recruit Jai Cullen?
2. Why would we recruit Blight as part of a plan to send west later?
3. Jack Graham not worth $560k a year when the salary cap has gone up to $17.7m. Watch West Coast play a game, they have so many terrible footballers on their list it’s hard to comprehend. Graham will be in their top 10-15 players, and with a league average getting close to $500k, $560k is nothing for him.

I still think we require Blight for the next season or two. Give him a full pre-season & give him a chance to learn whatever our new gameplan will be. At worst he is a backup in a position we are not overly strong in & maybe he might flourish in a professional environment. He will also come incredibly cheap for insurance in the back half of the ground, & give us time to recruit or draft in, over the next few seasons when we have abundance of salary cap to spend.
Sounds good but not up to us as if i was offered a one year backup contract or another team offers 2 years with playing first team football I know which i would take.

What Wtf GIF by avalbano

If he wants to go back to WA good luck to him.
He is shit.

By about rnd 18 2021 it was obvious we were past contending. That was quite a few years ago.

By end of next season the time between the moment it was obvious the team was not capable of contending any more will be longer than the entire period of the dynasty & the club has barely started the rebuild
With the benefit of hindsight you're probably right. Various reasons have contributed to that.

But, don't forget, we were a disgraceful arc decision from being in week 2 of the 2022 finals.

Either way, there's no doubt where the club is now and I'm excited about watching the rebuild after banking 3 premierships. It's the only way.

I still think we require Blight for the next season or two. Give him a full pre-season & give him a chance to learn whatever our new gameplan will be. At worst he is a backup in a position we are not overly strong in & maybe he might flourish in a professional environment. He will also come incredibly cheap for insurance in the back half of the ground, & give us time to recruit or draft in, over the next few seasons when we have abundance of salary cap to spend.
I reckon Blight and Grey were offered the same one year deal. Blight not signed & WCE needing cheap Barassi replacement.
Here we have Gibcus & Balta 1st choice then depth of Young Miller, Kosi.
Blight stays here on one year 100k + match payments. Rookie wages vs a better financial offer from WCE + Girl fiend playing netball there on 80k.

What's the process How does a Midseason draftee get traded ?

Blight won't be hanging around.

Last edited:
I reckon Blight and Grey were offered the same one year deal. Blight not signed & WCE needing cheap Barassi replacement.
Here we have Gibcus & Balta 1st choice then depth of Young Miller, Kosi.
Blight stays here on one year 100k + match payments. Rookie wages vs a better financial offer from WCE + Girl fiend playing netball there on 80k.

What's the process How does a Midseason draftee get traded ?

Blight won't be hanging around.
What a campaigner

No way on earth would we have recruited blight intended to route to wc later for peanuts , that’s bf fantasy ,
Whilst it may be highly unlikely... a recruiter could have looked at the following:

• Gibcus out for a year = Stop Gap solution
  • 1 year deal on mid season recruit = minimal risk
  • Bolton/Baker potentially back to WA = can include back as 'steak knives' in any potential deal that nets a higher pick (and maybe just gives the kid what he actually wants)

Don't get me wrong, I don't suggest that we would have picked any WA footballer in the hope of including them in a trade back 6 months later, but it wouldn't have hurt his chances (along with our good strike rate of WA players recently)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a campaigner
any draft's a gamble . MSD **** is tattslotto... one win with Pickett, loses with Parker, Coulthard. Miss out on Durham, Massimo.

Grey being worth giving another year is the plus.

Toce didn't predict Barass leaving for Hawthorn and WCE allegedly being interested in Blight. Good luck to the campaigner, footy careers are short and if WCE take him, it'll be double the coin RFC will pay. at home with girlfriend.

G/Friend now playing with WCE

Last edited:
any draft's a gamble . MSD **** is tattslotto... one win with Pickett, loses with Parker, Coulthard. Miss out on Durham, Massimo.

Grey being worth giving another year is the plus.

Toce didn't predict Barass leaving for Hawthorn and WCE allegedly being interested in Blight. Good luck to the campaigner, footy careers are short and if WCE take him, it'll be double the coin RFC will pay. at home with girlfriend.

G/Friend now playing with WCE
Mclachlan was one we missed , will be a player

Whilst it may be highly unlikely... a recruiter could have looked at the following:

• Gibcus out for a year = Stop Gap solution
  • 1 year deal on mid season recruit = minimal risk
  • Bolton/Baker potentially back to WA = can include back as 'steak knives' in any potential deal that nets a higher pick (and maybe just gives the kid what he actually wants)

Don't get me wrong, I don't suggest that we would have picked any WA footballer in the hope of including them in a trade back 6 months later, but it wouldn't have hurt his chances (along with our good strike rate of WA players recently)
Gibcus & Young were 1st choice KPDs in 2024 ground zero. Miller was OK stop gap for a while but lost form. 2025 Balta should be KPD# 1 and Gibcus # 2.
Then Young. Then Miller. Then Kosi.

Blight was not even AFL standard in the Hawks game. I could see him playing a game or 2 max in 2025.

Eagles interest in Blight does everyone a favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #51 Jacob Blight - Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back