Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Ant has posted, JD can benefit the team more playing as a high forward - Have noticed he is getting to more contests and therefore is displaying increased endurance - His marking is a bit more consistent than in 2015 - Lots to work with but the club needs to realise, he is not the number one pod in the forward line - JD can learn from Petrie how you bring the ball to ground despite having three players hanging off your body.

He hooks the ball because he holds the ball in the centre of his body rather than over his kicking leg. Simple as that.
Yep ends up kicking it off his big toe/inside of his foot. There's three efficient ways to kick; Hawkins - ball placement square, kicks to left, ball spins left to right, Ablett - ball placement square, kicks to target, no spin, Franklin - ball placement square, kicks to right, ball spins right to left. Franklin style is the easiest style and the longest, but can short side your self if ur a right footer in the right pocket.

Solution for Joey's Kicking:

Do it better.

I know, I know. I'm practically printing money with every idea I suggest.

In all seriousness though, it wouldn't hurt the club to invest in the following:

- Hire Lloyd as a temp trainer for Joe (again)
- Hire a Six Sigma/Kaizen associate to document the hell out of said process
- Have Joey invest a lot of time executing the process, which may ultimately help shake off his bad habbits over the years to come.

Just my two cents worth.

Solution for Joey's Kicking:

Do it better.

I know, I know. I'm practically printing money with every idea I suggest.

In all seriousness though, it wouldn't hurt the club to invest in the following:

- Hire Lloyd as a temp trainer for Joe (again)
- Hire a Six Sigma/Kaizen associate to document the hell out of said process
- Have Joey invest a lot of time executing the process, which may ultimately help shake off his bad habbits over the years to come.

Just my two cents worth.
"You, strawberry - hit a home run!"

Dermie hit the nail on the head yesterday, he is trying to play power forward and wrestle blokes when that is not his go. Never has been. I saw Langford out wrestle him at training in marking contests when Langford was in his first year. Even at under 18 level his game was about leading up at the ball.
Currently he is not working hard enough, not enough multiple leads leading up the arse of players in front of him and trying to wrestle blokes. It makes defending him easy.
Have mentioned he is more of a CHF plenty of times. He is not going to be a FF who kicks 5 or 6 goals. At his best he will be a player who had 18 or so possessions and kicks 2 or 3 goals but before he gets to that he needs to change his thinking and his work rate as he is playing very dumb footy at the moment.

Get Carey to the TVSC.

He'd probably start by berating the midfielders for hardly getting the ball to Daniher's advantage. Even that one in the middle which Joe should have caught was 1.5m higher than it should have been.

I'm not sure that Daniher is not a 5 or 6 goal forward. He has plenty of shots on goal in a number of games (lots of 1.3, 1.4 and 2.3 games) though I accept that he will be at his best playing more as a CHF as he did against Melbourne (when he also had 8 or 9 shots on goal).

From the few games I've seen this year, still playing like a schoolboy. Firstly needs a haircut and a kick up the bum.

But in all honesty when the midfield is struggling to get the ball into the forward 50 and when it does it butchers it.. it doesn't give much chance to a forward that is out of form and needs confidence. Midfield played well against Melbourne he got plenty of oppurtunity and confidence grew.

We have scored 10 less goals than the second worst side. Our midfield is shot to pieces. They can't win it and they can't run. Very difficult for a forward still developing.

He hooks the ball because he holds the ball in the centre of his body rather than over his kicking leg. Simple as that.
The fact he tries to kick a 60m punt when a 30m kick will suffice doesn't help either. Every time he kicks the ball for goal, he kicks it with enough force to put the ball into low orbit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dermie hit the nail on the head yesterday, he is trying to play power forward and wrestle blokes when that is not his go. Never has been. I saw Langford out wrestle him at training in marking contests when Langford was in his first year. Even at under 18 level his game was about leading up at the ball.
Currently he is not working hard enough, not enough multiple leads leading up the arse of players in front of him and trying to wrestle blokes. It makes defending him easy.
Have mentioned he is more of a CHF plenty of times. He is not going to be a FF who kicks 5 or 6 goals. At his best he will be a player who had 18 or so possessions and kicks 2 or 3 goals but before he gets to that he needs to change his thinking and his work rate as he is playing very dumb footy at the moment.
He'd probably start by berating the midfielders for hardly getting the ball to Daniher's advantage. Even that one in the middle which Joe should have caught was 1.5m higher than it should have been.

I'm not sure that Daniher is not a 5 or 6 goal forward. He has plenty of shots on goal in a number of games (lots of 1.3, 1.4 and 2.3 games) though I accept that he will be at his best playing more as a CHF as he did against Melbourne (when he also had 8 or 9 shots on goal).
Love reading your posts ant555 and BrunoV :thumbsu: Really can't argue with that!

From the few games I've seen this year, still playing like a schoolboy. Firstly needs a haircut and a kick up the bum.

But in all honesty when the midfield is struggling to get the ball into the forward 50 and when it does it butchers it.. it doesn't give much chance to a forward that is out of form and needs confidence. Midfield played well against Melbourne he got plenty of oppurtunity and confidence grew.

We have scored 10 less goals than the second worst side. Our midfield is shot to pieces. They can't win it and they can't run. Very difficult for a forward still developing.
Good post except for the first bit... probably don't need to sledge the poor kid, however bad his (lack of) haircut is.

His development is pretty on track for a KPF, considering the aforementioned midfield situation and the cloud we've been under basically the entire time he's been here. He hasn't had the advantage of an older, wiser KPF to play deep and take some of the scoreboard pressure off either... Every year the other KPF in the forward structure has changed at least once, if we've had one at all. He's literally our only pure forward, everyone else who can play forward spends time in other roles, so if they don't kick a bag you can say 'oh he laid X tackles or got Y disposals' or whatever... for Daniher everyone just judges him on the 7.12 he's kicked so far this season.

So basically; forward structure, team dynamics, finding his role and developing consistency?

weight of the world on his shoulders.

Every time he gets a quarter of a chance in the front half I get the feeling that he thinks he has to ping it, because if it's not him who else will? That's not necessarily the case, but I suspect that's how he's thinking.
Those further afield aren't doing him any favours at all but I want to see him demanding it, even if it means they kick it to a pack and he just destroys it and hopefully takes out a defender or two with him.

No surprise that he looked like a million bucks when we managed to get the game on our terms and move it quickly against the dees

Love reading your posts ant555 and BrunoV :thumbsu: Really can't argue with that!

Good post except for the first bit... probably don't need to sledge the poor kid, however bad his (lack of) haircut is.

His development is pretty on track for a KPF, considering the aforementioned midfield situation and the cloud we've been under basically the entire time he's been here. He hasn't had the advantage of an older, wiser KPF to play deep and take some of the scoreboard pressure off either... Every year the other KPF in the forward structure has changed at least once, if we've had one at all. He's literally our only pure forward, everyone else who can play forward spends time in other roles, so if they don't kick a bag you can say 'oh he laid X tackles or got Y disposals' or whatever... for Daniher everyone just judges him on the 7.12 he's kicked so far this season.

So basically; forward structure, team dynamics, finding his role and developing consistency?

JD playing schoolyard kick to kick for is an apt description one which - Will never reach his potential unless he improves his work-rate and finds footy smarts.

JD playing schoolyard kick to kick for is an apt description one which - Will never reach his potential unless he improves his work-rate and finds footy smarts.

I hope you don't teach English over there in Asia Yaco. :) I think I agree though. I'd love to see him stop getting cheap kicks and start getting them where he is dangerous more often.
He has the ability and plenty of time. I suspect all he lacks is a touch of self-belief.

The fact he tries to kick a 60m punt when a 30m kick will suffice doesn't help either. Every time he kicks the ball for goal, he kicks it with enough force to put the ball into low orbit.

Basic fundamental of kicking for goal is to kick through the ball as you would from 50m out, regardless of where you are taking the shot. Stabbing at it to kick it 30m will only increase margin for error.

Last edited:
Basic fundamental of kicking for goal is to kick through the ball as you would from 50m out, regardless of where you are taking the shot. Stabbing add it to kick it 30m will only increase margin for error.

Yep, starting to poke at it would make it so much worse

Trying to kick it 60 every time isn't the issue if he does the same thing every time....

I remember Wayne Carey on the radio said once "when i was running into kick a set shot the only thing i was thing was i'm going to kick this goal"

Guaranteed JD is thinking about hooking it or kicking it out on the full. The biggest thing these guys need to practice is clearing their head. if you cant clear your head good technique will not follow no matter how much you practice it,

I don't like how he stands in the goal square with his arm up indicating to kick it high and long. He will not mark 90% of those balls, he's still not strong enough. He should be leading anywhere to get away from his opponent, like Derm said yesterday. Do figure eights, multiple leads or anything else, son.

Not sure why but for some reason tends to chew off more than he can swallow on a regular basis - trying to goose-step, sell candy or out run people much quicker than him. Appreciate that he is atleast trying to take the game on but needs to remember he is 201cm lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back