Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about it, the less disappointed in Joe I get. The more I get disappointed in Essendon for not only allowing Joe to get into a position he is in medically, but for Essendon to not have us in a position where he is irreplacable. We have guys who can play a similar role but no where near the standard either now, or in the future.
What team, in what league, has a back up Joe Daniher sitting in the reserves?

Haven't Sydney come out and said they want to keep pick 5 as it's the first early pick in almost a decade.
I don’t think they’ve really said much.

I would not find it hard to believe though that Daniher would tell Sydney he wouldn’t come unless they pay a big price. Joe still loves his teammates and probably still the club and would feel guilty leaving.

What team, in what league, has a back up Joe Daniher sitting in the reserves?

I was referencing the fact that we had failed to address drafting, and develping a key forward until last year (Noah Gown). The last 18 year old key forward we drafted was Ariel Steinberg (who ended up a defender) and before that it was a young Jake Carlisle back in 2009 (at pick 24 for those of you playing at home).

We've tried a number of mature aged guys who have been role players and continue to do so.

I would not find it hard to believe though that Daniher would tell Sydney he wouldn’t come unless they pay a big price. Joe still loves his teammates and probably still the club and would feel guilty leaving.
If a player wants out, I don't think helping their old team while hurting their new teams prospects is as big a thing as what we fans hope it is.

I get the feeling that's not entirely accurate. He and Merrett used to be thick as thieves almost inseparable but Merrett pretty much added fuel to the trade fire the other week. Not sure that would've been something Joe wanted. There just seems to be so much going on here imo.

If Sydney offer picks 5 & 9 then take it and ****ing run.

If Joe doesn't want to be here, then trade him. The Tigers got rid of Deledio when he decided to **** around with them and they were better for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney have never been one to over rate draft picks. Always (well at least since Roos became coach) been willing to cough up for players they target.

Agree that a second probably goes the other way.

To be fair, they've been able to package up average picks for elite talent these last few years far more than most clubs.

I wonder if this is this the most watched thread on BigFooty.com at the moment....I!!! I find it bizarre that some people on here think he’s the most important player at our club...just don’t get the hype - yes Joe is a great mark and has a huge tank, but he’s a tad over rated in my book - 1.8 goals a game not a great average for a key forward - this is a reflection of his poor kicking - and with his injuries who knows what the future holds....Trade him now while he has some currency I say!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Guessing you haven’t visited too many other boards lately then... the Tim Kelly thread in the DTFA did 900 posts yesterday alone. If there’s anything that threatens that kind of traffic elsewhere I’m yet to hear of it.

Big chance. Sydney have now stated that they’re not trading Papley (who’s contracted for four years) under any circumstance. Could just be bluff of course, but if genuine they won’t that second first rounder this year.
I'm thinking pure logistics though. Sydney have an apparent top 3 academy prospect next year and should be able to rise up the ladder with the addition of Daniher. Pick 5 and a future first makes a lot more sense as it would mean they essentially still use 2x first round picks the next two years, instead of just the one.

Zero chance Cameron leaves GWS. When Patton goes they have fixed their last cap issue and will have plenty of coin for Cameron and Whitfield.
They have not lost anyone they really wanted to keep in the last 3 years.

Not a zero chance. There's been some rumblings about Cameron wanting to play in front of big crowds and in big games (direct opposite of Joe) - balancing that dream with the being closer to family factor (direct opposite of Raz). It's not about money for him - and even if it was, we'd have a lot of room left after Joe and Raz leaving. Then there's his mate Devon Smith, who he used to spend summers with fishing and such (Shiel a familiar face too?), so it would pretty much feel like home and not too out of place.

And what better way for Cameron to repay his maiden team with some gratitude while balancing that desire than to fetch them 6 draft picks, 3 of which could all be in the first round? GWS would be mad to turn down that offer.

Not a zero chance, at all.

Dodo will get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back