Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about it, the less disappointed in Joe I get. The more I get disappointed in Essendon for not only allowing Joe to get into a position he is in medically, but for Essendon to not have us in a position where he is irreplacable. We have guys who can play a similar role but no where near the standard either now, or in the future.

I agree. You would've thought that player welfare would be front and center after our "indiscretions" some years back, but apparently not enough that a key player feels life would be better at another club.

While there is an element of luck involved in bringing players into the club (i.e. if there is anyone suitable to begin with and if they're perma-injured like Stewart) it is pretty piss poor that there hasn't been any KPFs coming up through the ranks to add depth and give Daniher a bit of support. Drafting Gown was a good move but too little too late. I wonder if ideally we'd have drafted more KPFs after drafting Daniher but draft sanctions got in the way and limited our choices.

Either way, it just builds on the frustration that the drugs saga wasn't used as a reset to introduce professionalism and competence into every level of the club's activities the way Richmond have been able to do.

I agree. You would've thought that player welfare would be front and center after our "indiscretions" some years back, but apparently not enough that a key player feels life would be better at another club.

While there is an element of luck involved in bringing players into the club (i.e. if there is anyone suitable to begin with and if they're perma-injured like Stewart) it is pretty piss poor that there hasn't been any KPFs coming up through the ranks to add depth and give Daniher a bit of support. Drafting Gown was a good move but too little too late. I wonder if ideally we'd have drafted more KPFs after drafting Daniher but draft sanctions got in the way and limited our choices.

Either way, it just builds on the frustration that the drugs saga wasn't used as a reset to introduce professionalism and competence into every level of the club's activities the way Richmond have been able to do.
Don’t forget that pre saga we had Carlisle and Ryder as very capable support.

The real sliding doors moment for me is what if we had realised that Hooker was very good forward earlier and didn’t try to play Carlisle forward? Hooker and JD a great combo and Carlisle a very good KP defender.

Not a zero chance. There's been some rumblings about Cameron wanting to play in front of big crowds and in big games (direct opposite of Joe) - balancing that dream with the being closer to family factor (direct opposite of Raz). It's not about money for him - and even if it was, we'd have a lot of room left after Joe and Raz leaving. Then there's his mate Devon Smith, who he used to spend summers with fishing and such (Shiel a familiar face too?), so it would pretty much feel like home and not too out of place.

And what better way for Cameron to repay his maiden team with some gratitude while balancing that desire than to fetch them 6 draft picks, 3 of which could all be in the first round? GWS would be mad to turn down that offer.

Not a zero chance, at all.

Dodo will get it done.
Not what I hear.

The more I think about it, the less disappointed in Joe I get. The more I get disappointed in Essendon for not only allowing Joe to get into a position he is in medically, but for Essendon to not have us in a position where he is irreplacable. We have guys who can play a similar role but no where near the standard either now, or in the future.
We did everything we could for Joe medical wise.

Yeah, lets get all these picks so our legendary longstanding list manager Dodoro can recruit more flankers turn midfielders and skinny built players, and waste all those picks......yeah, no worries, he will get the job done !!

Not a zero chance. There's been some rumblings about Cameron wanting to play in front of big crowds and in big games (direct opposite of Joe) - balancing that dream with the being closer to family factor (direct opposite of Raz). It's not about money for him - and even if it was, we'd have a lot of room left after Joe and Raz leaving. Then there's his mate Devon Smith, who he used to spend summers with fishing and such (Shiel a familiar face too?), so it would pretty much feel like home and not too out of place.

And what better way for Cameron to repay his maiden team with some gratitude while balancing that desire than to fetch them 6 draft picks, 3 of which could all be in the first round? GWS would be mad to turn down that offer.

Not a zero chance, at all.

Dodo will get it done.
We love Joe. But this has a lot of credit. Might be time to be bold and make a play whilst we can.

Just on the media. I have come in to bat for them, mainly because I know a couple of them and related to another but it is reporting like the John Ralph article today that sets the standard for given an inch take a mile. He said Tim told listeners Daniher definitely wanted a trade to Sydney. I was listening and he didn't say definitely . He said Joe would like to be in Sydney in the context that he would like the life style .

For what it is worth I think Joe may go. Not because he hates us or has issues with how we treated him. Simply because he is mentally drained , the operation has not given the results expected and he feels he needs a fresh start where he can just be some bloke in a suburb and not make the news because he has two beers at a pub. I may be wrong but I think the scales have tipped slightly towards leaving.

I know for a fact he loves the club and the players which is why the decision has taken so long and has been hard for him.
Any negatives comments about our treatment are simply uninformed rubbish. Several medical opinions where sort when he first got injured and they all called for rest. When he did not come up again more opinions where sort and in the end they went with the Sydney surgeon that did Buddys groin op which worked pretty well for Bud. They went above and beyond to try and find a solution.

We love Joe. But this has a lot of credit. Might be time to be bold and make a play whilst we can.

Well there is no play to be had right now. GWS are not letting Cameron go and in the last two years they have landed every fish they wanted to keep.

Just on the media. I have come in to bat for them, mainly because I know a couple of them and related to another but it is reporting like the John Ralph article today that sets the standard for given an inch take a mile. He said Tim told listeners Daniher definitely wanted a trade to Sydney. I was listening and he didn't say definitely . He said Joe would like to be in Sydney in the context that he would like the life style .

For what it is worth I think Joe may go. Not because he hates us or has issues with how we treated him. Simply because he is mentally drained , the operation has not given the results expected and he feels he needs a fresh start where he can just be some bloke in a suburb and not make the news because he has two beers at a pub. I may be wrong but I think the scales have tipped slightly towards leaving.

I know for a fact he loves the club and the players which is why the decision has taken so long and has been hard for him.
Any negatives comments about our treatment are simply uninformed rubbish. Several medical opinions where sort when he first got injured and they all called for rest. When he did not come up again more opinions where sort and in the end they went with the Sydney surgeon that did Buddys groin op which worked pretty well for Bud. They went above and beyond to try and find a solution.
This post seems to be sought of on the money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Joe really want to shadow his fathers journey and go to Sydney? Most young guys want to tread their own path.

So How would that three way trade actually end up (there would need to be some other moving parts surely)

Essendon out: Daniher and 2020 2nd
Essendon In: #5 and #9

Sydney out: #5, Papley and #51
Sydney in: Daniher and 2020 2nd

Carlton out: #9
Carlton in: Papley and #51

Something like that?
I think we should stuff Carlton and ask for pick 5 and Papley, especially if Fantasia goes.

So How would that three way trade actually end up (there would need to be some other moving parts surely)

Essendon out: Daniher and 2020 2nd
Essendon In: #5 and #9

Sydney out: #5, Papley and #51
Sydney in: Daniher and 2020 2nd

Carlton out: #9
Carlton in: Papley and #51

Something like that?
looks pretty good to me.

Its a Baby Bombers reference.
Maybe your a bit too young Dougy, so here have some candy 🍬
Handing out candy to children you don’t know 🤨

Creepy baby as your avatar 🤨