Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

If Wayne Carey can go back, Lachlan Hansen or Drew Petrie can certainly do it when required.

I find it hilarious that people are against this.

FFS The greatest CHF in the history of the game moved into the guts in the 1999 Grand Final and tore it to shreds.

Who in their right mind would **** with a 180 goal forward line?

It would be just as effective with Daw or Black down there if Hansen (or Tarrant or Petrie for that matter) went back temporarily or permanently. ATM the triple towers are ok but they're a bit weak below the knees and we have a major problem developing down back. There can obviously be other solutions but I think this one is worth experimenting with in the NAB cup. potential win/win.

Who in their right mind would **** with a 180 goal forward line?

Where did you pluck that figure from? The triple towers only kicked 111 between them for the year of which 27 came against top 8 teams. This whole triple towers thing is a bit of a misnomer against quality teams. While against these teams we conceded far more goals than we kicked.

Where did you pluck that figure from? The triple towers only kicked 111 between them for the year of which 27 came against top 8 teams. This whole triple towers thing is a bit of a misnomer against quality teams. While against these teams we conceded far more goals than we kicked.

Our permanent forward line consisted of Petrie, Hansen, Tarrant, Thomas from round 12 2012.

This combination of 4 averaged 8.63 goals per match for a 22 game extrapolated tally of 189.86 goals.

I did not bother including the behinds.

Our permanent forward line consisted of Petrie, Hansen, Tarrant, Thomas from round 12 2012.

This combination of 4 averaged 8.63 goals per match for a 22 game extrapolated tally of 189.86 goals.

I did not bother including the behinds.

You're kidding. How about we extrapolate how many goals Franklin, Podsiadly, Hawkins and Darling kicked against us over 22 games?

Hansen has played his best footy for us a forward and that is enough for me to leave him where hes at. He sucked defensively and hes not going to improve us going back. You use a players strengthe when positioning them and Lachies is at CHF.
Lachie went back in 2011 and we were too slow, couldnt score and got thumped by the better sides repeatedly. He was then dropped. And now after the blokes settled down forward, spent all of his time since October in the offensive half and played his best footy in years in 2012 as part of the 3 talls set up, we move him?
St.Kilda in 2010, Collongwood in recent years, Geelong all had field days when Lachy was CHB.
Hansen, Thompson, Grima, Firrito, McMahon is too slow and defensive and it showed.
There is a reason JMac, Atley and Wright were put down there.
We needed to attack.
Who spot does Hansen take if we decide to move him there?

When our midfield is dominant our forwards kick goals. Otherwise they are mediocre and have been for a number of years.

If Wayne Carey can go back, Lachlan Hansen or Drew Petrie can certainly do it when required.

I find it hilarious that people are against this.

FFS The greatest CHF in the history of the game moved into the guts in the 1999 Grand Final and tore it to shreds.

I am not for Hansen going back permanently, but with Grima out he should and the next best player picked to give our best 22 each week.

Scotts refusal to bend his 'structures' cost us two wins in 2012. PA and WC (in Hobart) by taking game on rather than accept we didnt have momentum and use key players like Petrie to our advantage to suit the situation.

I am not for Hansen going back permanently, but with Grima out he should and the next best player picked to give our best 22 each week.

Scotts refusal to bend his 'structures' cost us two wins in 2012. PA and WC in Hobart by taking game on rather than accept we didnt have momentum and use key players like Petrie or Hansen to our advantage.

Correct! Neither am I, but we need to against certain teams.

Not to mention the arrogance of our team selection in round 1. And the stupidity of 10 tall defenders v Hawthorn in that shammozle.

You could put Petrie, Hansen and Tarrant in our backline when the midfield is crap and we still wouldn't win.

Most likely correct if they are replacing defenders.

However Drew would be a very handy loose defender to fill the hole in games that require shutting down. That lack of (simple) tactical move did cost us. Scott's plan A is great, his Plan B is........well, what Plan B?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On average they would have kicked 180 if they all played 23 games together.

On average they would have kicked 180 if they all played 23 games together.

Let's see how they go this year with a tougher draw. Their record isn't flash against quality teams. If they can kick 45 goals each on average this year then I will shut up. -:)

Let's see how they go this year with a tougher draw. Their record isn't flash against quality teams. If they can kick 45 goals each on average this year then I will shut up. -:)

The triple towers and LT played against 4 sides that finished top 8 in 2012, between rounds 12 and 22, for combined totals of 10.7 (Adel), 8.3 (WCE), 11.3 (Coll) and 6.3 (Freo).

35/4 = 8.75 goals
16/4 = 4 behinds.

= 56 points.

~9 goals * 22 = 198 goals.

The forward line is set in concrete.

If you want a defensive scapegoat then you will have to find one somewhere else.

The triple towers and LT played against 4 sides that finished top 8 in 2012, between rounds 12 and 22, for combined totals of 10.7 (Adel), 8.3 (WCE), 11.3 (Coll) and 6.3 (Freo).

35/4 = 8.75 goals
16/4 = 4 behinds.

= 56 points.

~9 goals * 22 = 198 goals.

The forward line is set in concrete.

If you want a defensive scapegoat then you will have to find one somewhere else.

I'm about to quote Rick Aylett.

Scotts refusal to bend his 'structures' cost us two wins in 2012. PA and WC (in Hobart) by taking game on rather than accept we didnt have momentum and use key players like Petrie to our advantage to suit the situation.

Scott's 'structures' won a lot of games too
had us 7 goals up v PA in the last qtr

maybe time to acknowledge that wc were a much better team than us last yr

I'm convinced.

I'd hate to see a scenario where Hansen is doing 'pretty well' in the forward line, we're getting smashed up the creek in defence, and Aaron Black is tearing it up in the seconds.

Hansen to defence, Black as the third 'tower'. It looks good to me.

I'm convinced.

I'd hate to see a scenario where Hansen is doing 'pretty well' in the forward line, we're getting smashed up the creek in defence, and Aaron Black is tearing it up in the seconds.

Hansen to defence, Black as the third 'tower'. It looks good to me.

Have you seen him play?

Nah scrap that, let's persist with Delaney at CHB for a couple of years, leave a gaping hole there. I overlooked the fact that flags are won through 3 tall dudes kicking 25 goals each, not defence.

Didnt you read the OP or did you just read the title. If you watch North and can't see the structural issues we have down back then I'm glad you're not on the selection panel.

Oh yeah short sighted? Good lord.

Did read you opening post maybe should have added Delaney I only trust to pay on certain types of players. The times that Delaney was vulnerable was when he had little support from his team mates. Agree needs to earn his spot as well hence he won't be in the team round 1

You suggested Thompson be moved up the field because of one of his attributes being his field kicking!!!
Are you forgetting the job he did on Travis cloke? Are you forgetting his ability to inception balls in the defensive 50 with his ability to read the play- also he has improved s balance between zoning off and being accountable.

We played some exciting footy this year and spread well- however through improved fitness in the younger blokes and finding at balance between spreading and running hard defensively we will or leak as many goals.ideally also Goldstein needs to step up in this area and support the back six more- looking at the way currie plays if he gets a chance think he will fill this role.

Don't think placing another tall down in the back half is going to help us.
You will then have Narni, firrito, Thompson and Hansen. Which then we will not be mobile enough when teams play 2 high half forwards three talks and a small tall in most instances. Also I don't think that neither one of our key forwards has the motor other than Hansen to present as much as he does ie refer to the time trials run

Sure we got monster end by Shultz, franklin, darling/ lynch. But if we apply more defensive pressure in the midfield the ball will not be getting to these guys more freely. We improved on the years before with Thompson developing to almost an all Australian this year in that position.

Have you seen him play?

Have you seen Hansen play or are you just sticking up for a bloke because you love him?

Black as talented, if not more talented than Hansen... and can kick and mark. Hansen might be abel to run (which is good) but if you can't mark or kick straight your no good in the forward line. Taz already takes that role. The time for the move has come surely.

Nah scrap that, let's persist with Delaney at CHB for a couple of years, leave a gaping hole there. I overlooked the fact that flags are won through 3 tall dudes kicking 25 goals each, not defence.
Dupree you are making perfect sense to me and most posters don't worry... Hansen obsessed is Hard to Beat!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back