Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

What's so ridiculous about that? He has great endurance and speed for a big man, all he needs is to hone his skills.

Skills and an ability to read the play and be involved for longer than 5 minutes. There are some very good footballers in the league who are not elite. Majak becoming one of them is a long shot.

they say good players get themselves involved in games, which is true.... but from what i saw we barely went to Hansen....

Nothing wrong with Majak's skills. In fact I'd say he has very good skills. And FWIW, I did not say Maj will be elite. But it's certainly a possibility.

Lachie squandered the limited opportunities that came his way on Sunday.

Lachie squandered the limited opportunities that came his way on Sunday.

It's true, he could have marked Mullet's goal on the line but decided to shepherd it through. He could have also yelled harder when LT ignored him to kick his second goal in the second quarter when Lachy was 20 metres in the clear.

Disagree. Petrie is soon to be an older player, playing him down forward will keep him around for longer.

On Hansen, I must be watching a different game because I really don't think he is playing that badly. Not great, sure, but he creates a lot of movement and I woudn't be surprised if Brad is ok with where he is at. I reckon he is close to a good game that will shut his detractors up for a spell. To be honest, I reckon it's Robbie that's under the pump if it's time for Daw to come in - he is slower than Hansen, not as good at creating space and too often fails to make any sort of impact at the contest.

I think most supporters are just about 'over' the Hansen experiment, he is just a further-progressed Jack Watts, he should probably be dropped and marked 'break glass in case of emergency' ie to cover injuries.

Disagree. Petrie is soon to be an older player, playing him down forward will keep him around for longer.

On Hansen, I must be watching a different game because I really don't think he is playing that badly. Not great, sure, but he creates a lot of movement and I woudn't be surprised if Brad is ok with where he is at. I reckon he is close to a good game that will shut his detractors up for a spell. To be honest, I reckon it's Robbie that's under the pump if it's time for Daw to come in - he is slower than Hansen, not as good at creating space and too often fails to make any sort of impact at the contest.
Agree that Hansen isn't playing too badly. But the question is, do we go with him in this form or try Black who may provide something different. You don't always have to play badly to be dropped. It could also be about team structures. I can certainly see arguments both ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they say good players get themselves involved in games, which is true.... but from what i saw we barely went to Hansen....

i noticed over the weekend at least 2-3 times Hansen was on his own in the forward 50 but the other players chose to ignore him and either kicked the goal outside 50 or passed it to someone else. Do other players have confidence in Hansen?

Do other players have confidence in Hansen?

I think they do but were just sticking too rigidly to plan. Impossible to know but I would hazard a guess one of our top 5 on the whiteboard at the moment is 'FFS stick to plan' and that can have it's drawbacks, especially with a young team against quality opposition. Note the irony as it was an effin brill plan that got us in front in the first place.

Dropping Lachie is a tough peel for me to swallow. He was a country-pumpkin blinded by the bright lights of Aegis Park and was directly involved in 2 score assists last Sunday. He just needs to practice a bit. I mean, I'm a perfect example of this. I speak 4 different languages (Croation, Mandarin, English and Latin) but if I don't practice, I forget a lot of stuff.

Dropping Lachie is a tough peel for me to swallow. He was a country-pumpkin blinded by the bright lights of Aegis Park and was directly involved in 2 score assists last Sunday. He just needs to practice a bit. I mean, I'm a perfect example of this. I speak 4 different languages (Croation, Mandarin, English and Latin) but if I don't practice, I forget a lot of stuff.
Exactly Clokey. This is what the Hansenists out there don't get. You would have to search far and wide within the AFL ranks to see a forward provide 2 goal assists. And let me tell yah the dummy leading by Lachie was a site to behold on the weekend. The way he led into space to create space for others to lead into space was a selfless act. I would travel all over the country side to watch that type of football. :stern look

Exactly Clokey. This is what the Hansenists out there don't get. You would have to search far and wide within the AFL ranks to see a forward provide 2 goal assists. And let me tell yah the dummy leading by Lachie was a site to behold on the weekend. The way he led into space to create space for others to lead into space was a selfless act. I would travel all over the country side to watch that type of football. :stern look

Hansenists are a plague on society, no doubt about it.

But if you want to discuss players being unfairly targetted, spare a thought for Ben Jacobs. Legend has it that he switched play on the weekend, yet the Jacobites are still calling for his head.

The humanity.

Kicked it to Tarrant and made a contest which resulted in Bastinacs goal.

Also created the contest that allowed Tazza to run and jump at his first mark. Unfortunately most here only look at the "stats" and aren't capable of noticing the other things that happen. Running to space, decoy leads to allow Petrie his opportunities etc. Those watching the replay might want to take note of the 4-5 times when he was on the lead that our mids kicked it at his ankles or over his head.

Oh yeah and he was our second highest goal kicker against the Pies in Round 1.

So we ruling out Hansen in the backline?

Not from me but everyone knows where I stand on this. If not dropped then playing down back on Reid is a great match up. If its wet then Hansen out and Daw in. Daw has good defensive pressure and will make the opposition look over their shoulder re Geelong praccy game plus the fact he has had 17 tackles in his first two game for Werribee.

Lach does a power of work off the ball. If he goes out of the forward line his replacement must be able to run the same leading patterns as him for the same amount of time as he does, otherwise the talls will not function properly. I have doubts that Daw has that capacity just yet. Black might. The other option is to plonk Daw at FF and let Drew play Lach's role but do we want to have our best key forward roaming around half forward for most of the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back