Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the umpire was reasonable - he was making sure Logan didn’t accidentally play on (although I thought they changed the rules and you could still get a bit of an arc in the run up?).

I do wonder if Logan would have been more confident if we were down by two points instead of one. I suspect his mindset was “don’t lose it, don’t fall short” rather than “it’s a chance to win it with a kick after the siren, let’s see how I go”.

To be honest, if this is the case then it is either bad coaching (they should have taken the players through how the rule works after the siren, and helped the players understand what that means for their routines) or he just froze up.
Or he was fatigued and knew he was going to struggle to make the distance.

Jude Bolton said on MMM he will struggle with the kick

I thought the umpire was reasonable - he was making sure Logan didn’t accidentally play on (although I thought they changed the rules and you could still get a bit of an arc in the run up?).

I wasn't saying the ump was wrong, just that Logan let the discussion take him out of his routine, he never looked ready.

He would , would blame himself and at the very least be annoyed he couldn't score from there, when 9/10 times he would at least score a behind from there.

Hopefully fuels him .

Jude Bolton is one of the worst special comments people in the game. Stop making excuses for him. He stuffed the kick. Move on. As plenty have said was not the reason we lost. Apathy early in the game with some abhorrent decision making and some pig headed coaching against a very disciplined focussed side on the day was.

I think the whole play on business when kicking a set shot after the siren is rubbish. Players should be given a bit of license in that situation because players have different run ups / arcs when kicking the footy.

Firstly, the last thing you want is for the game to be decided by a whistle if there's a 50/50 call.

Secondly, it really detracts from the moment, which is a player lining up for a shot to win the game. And instead of focusing on their regular goal-kicking routune, the player's thoughts are consumed with making sure they're not veering too far off their line (which in itself is pretty much an arbitrary measure). It adds unnecessary pressure to an already difficult situation.

Jude Bolton is one of the worst special comments people in the game. Stop making excuses for him. He stuffed the kick. Move on. As plenty have said was not the reason we lost. Apathy early in the game with some abhorrent decision making and some pig headed coaching against a very disciplined focussed side on the day was.
All i said was what JB1 said , it was a terrible kick . Would like to know his stats from 51

I think the whole play on business when kicking a set shot after the siren is rubbish. Players should be given a bit of license in that situation because players have different run ups / arcs when kicking the footy.

Firstly, the last thing you want is for the game to be decided by a whistle if there's a 50/50 call.

Secondly, it really detracts from the moment, which is a player lining up for a shot to win the game. And instead of focusing on their regular goal-kicking routune, the player's thoughts are consumed with making sure they're not veering too far off their line (which in itself is pretty much an arbitrary measure). It adds unnecessary pressure to an already difficult situation.
Think there was close to zero chance Logan gets pinged for playing on after siren in that situation. His normal drop punt has that distance but he was clearly overwhelmed in the moment. Adrenaline alone would have given him another 5-10m.

What I don't get is that as far as I'm aware, a player doesn't have to run straight they simply have to kick over the man on the mark. So if a player wants to take an arc, they can simply line up at a 45 degree angle to the mark, take their arc, then kick over the man.

Think there was close to zero chance Logan gets pinged for playing on after siren in that situation. His normal drop punt has that distance but he was clearly overwhelmed in the moment.

What I don't get is that as far as I'm aware, a player doesn't have to run straight they simply have to kick over the man on the mark. So if a player wants to take an arc, they can simply line up at a 45 degree angle to the mark, take their arc, then kick over the man.
Correct but that ump did his head in and his normal technique went out the door

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think there was close to zero chance Logan gets pinged for playing on after siren in that situation. His normal drop punt has that distance but he was clearly overwhelmed in the moment. Adrenaline alone would have given him another 5-10m.

Agree he wouldn't/shouldn't get called playing on, but the fact that the ump made such a big deal about it sewed the seed of doubt in Logans mind and distracted him from focusing on his normal routine.

It was a big moment, so he would have had that running through his mind. But on top of that he was probably thinking "don't veer to the side and kick over the man on the mark" which psychologically prevented him from being able to go through his usual motions without second guessing himself.

In the end, I think he tensed up a bit as he went to kick the ball and we all know the result.

It's just unnecessary pressure, and not only a distraction for the player but it detracts fans from the moment.

They need to be trained how to handle these situations. Longmire said he just needed m to back his routine, but as you have correctly pointed out, they need a slightly adjusted routine after the buzzer (as the man on the mark rule means in normal play you can swing out slightly to play on with the risk of a smother).

They need to practice the swing out for extra distance while still kicking over the man on the mark - while also being confident that they won’t get pinged (which they shouldn’t do).

They need to be trained how to handle these situations. Longmire said he just needed m to back his routine, but as you have correctly pointed out, they need a slightly adjusted routine after the buzzer (as the man on the mark rule means in normal play you can swing out slightly to play on with the risk of a smother).

They need to practice the swing out for extra distance while still kicking over the man on the mark - while also being confident that they won’t get pinged (which they shouldn’t do).

i think the kick is being overanalysed ... i reckon he'd kick the goal probably seven out of 10 times (and would at least score probably 95 times out of 100), he's usually a pretty good kick
it was pretty much symbolic of a shithouse day ...
just feel sorry for him that with all the garbage he's copped on here lately, it was him that had that last kick

To be honest, if this is the case then it is either bad coaching (they should have taken the players through how the rule works after the siren, and helped the players understand what that means for their routines) or he just froze up.
Looked a bit of both. He appeared uncertain in the moment. No-one there to help calm him. He then looked as if he felt under time pressure and rushed. Horrible moment for him. I'm sure the other players and the coaches will get around him but he might need a couple of sessions with the psych to straighten it out in his own head.

i think the kick is being overanalysed ... i reckon he'd kick the goal probably seven out of 10 times (and would at least score probably 95 times out of 100), he's usually a pretty good kick
just feel sorry for him that with all the garbage he's copped on here lately, it was him that had that last kick
Agree ... the moment got to him and it was a poor kick, that's all.

Looking at the kick from behind, he got under it too much, didn't get thru it properly with a slight push to the right ... pretty much like half of my iron shots into the green (which come up short and right 🤷‍♂️⛳🏌️‍♂️🤦‍♂️)

It's simple he lost his normal routine in the moment , game over , on to St Scum

Hard when some lazy bastard hasn't started the thread

Apart from the last kick thought he and McLean were our best two up forward

We did everything wrong (from selection to not kicking well in front of goal), yet we lost by 1. Least it’s a round 16 game or whatever it is and not a final.

The kick is probably being over-analysed but the Pies have been there and thereabouts for last couple of years coz they've got these endgames just right (until the weekend and a certain prelim final). We absolutely should be preparing for these types of scenarios and getting them right in the heat of the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Back