60% say Ablett is best

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll normally take the power forward at their best. Throw a blanket over Judd, Goodes, Ablett and Black. Judd and Goodes are more damaging. Black a better decision maker. Black and Ablett is lineball, I'm probably basing a bit of that on their career form.

i agree if a player is in hot form they have the biggest effect if they are up in the forward line...but imo ablett atm is a step above the rest

I'll normally take the power forward at their best. Throw a blanket over Judd, Goodes, Ablett and Black. Judd and Goodes are more damaging. Black a better decision maker. Black and Ablett is lineball, I'm probably basing a bit of that on their career form.

judd has very little strength in his body and is also a very poor defensivley.Goods dosent have enough X factor about him and black is to slow.All guns , but have a few faults.

judd has very little strength in his body and is also a very poor defensivley.Goods dosent have enough X factor about him and black is to slow.All guns , but have a few faults.
I would have thought Goodes has the biggest 'x factor' about him. He is the most inconsistent out of the four players but when he is switched on, he is extremely hard to beat.
Judd would have unbelievably good core strength. That's why he is so hard to tackle to the ground and everyone goes nuts because he holds on to the ball for so long before getting pinged. Speed works against Black but his decision making is probably better.

Ablett is rubbish this year compared to 2008. He's getting the ball in less damaging positions and doing far less with it. There is no way that he's the best in the comp this year - unless you're talking about racking up handballs and handball receives.

This year, from 14 games, he's had 49 inside 50s @ around 3.5 a game.
In 2008, from 21 games, he had 122 inside 50s @ nearly 6 per game.

He's hardly kicking the ball and when he does it lacks his usual penetration. Steve Johnson, Joel Selwood and Paul Chapman have been more important.

Something is afoot... or agroin.

Ablett is a teriffic footballer. Yet IMO, the best player in the league means more then just ability and being able to get alot of the football. You have to be able to turn a match off your own boot, you have to have courage and leadership. And going off that criteria i do see Riewoldt and also Brown as the number one footballers in the league. Someone mentioned Ablett is more consistent then anyone else, yet apart from Riewold't first game against Sydney he hasn't played a bad game. Brown hasn't been quiet as consistent, yet he is still such a commanding figure and hasn't kicked less the two goals in a game for the entire year.

I would have it:

Riewoldt
Brown
Ablett
Swan
Hayes

Ablett is a teriffic footballer. Yet IMO, the best player in the league means more then just ability and being able to get alot of the football. You have to be able to turn a match off your own boot, you have to have courage and leadership. And going off that criteria i do see Riewoldt and also Brown as the number one footballers in the league. Someone mentioned Ablett is more consistent then anyone else, yet apart from Riewold't first game against Sydney he hasn't played a bad game. Brown hasn't been quiet as consistent, yet he is still such a commanding figure and hasn't kicked less the two goals in a game for the entire year.

I would have it:

Riewoldt
Brown
Ablett
Swan
Hayes

if swan or hayes gets tagged like ablett i bet their effectiveness would drop as well

I would have thought Goodes has the biggest 'x factor' about him. He is the most inconsistent out of the four players but when he is switched on, he is extremely hard to beat.
Judd would have unbelievably good core strength. That's why he is so hard to tackle to the ground and everyone goes nuts because he holds on to the ball for so long before getting pinged. Speed works against Black but his decision making is probably better.

by X factor i mean having a touch of magic about , where something happens every time you touch the ball.The perfect example of a player with X factor is steve johnson.nearly everytime ablett touches the footy something happens , he has a creative ability about him that the others dont possess.

judd breaks tackles with speed and dosent do it as well as ablett.
black is a good decission maker but no better than ablett.

i challenge anyone to watch a copy of abletts earlier games this year( the crows and lions games are good examples) and than say abletts best is not the best

Maybe Swan but Hayes gets tagged all the time anyway.

not like ablett does...correct me if im wrong but doesnt dal santo normally cop the no. 1 tagger and then hayes gets a player that will play close one on one football

I would have it:

Riewoldt
Brown
Ablett
Swan
Hayes

the problem is that in the last few years ablett hasnt had alot of chances to win a game off his own boot, well not as many as riewoldt or brown.however if you go back to the 07 prelim when the game was on the line in the last quarter it was ablett who stept up and got the cats over the line.

riewoldt can simply not be considerd the best player in the comp with his current finals record.

riewoldt can simply not be considerd the best player in the comp with his current finals record.
It should be based purely on this season though. If you start taking into consideration previous seasons and final series where do you draw the line. Cousins, Akermanis or Black could be rated the no.1 player if we just rate them on their careers.

the problem is that in the last few years ablett hasnt had alot of chances to win a game off his own boot, well not as many as riewoldt or brown.however if you go back to the 07 prelim when the game was on the line in the last quarter it was ablett who stept up and got the cats over the line.

i think there is no doubt riewoldt has been the most damaging player in the afl this year but u only have to look back one year and people who seriously questioning the way this guys ability

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a good point. And how so? he was best a field in the semi final against Collingwood last year with 5 goals and 15 marks.

i think there is no doubt riewoldt has been the most damaging player in the afl this year but u only have to look back one year and people who seriously questioning the way this guys ability

I don't understand this? Last year? he was considered probably as the second best key forward in the game and was All Australian.

It should be based purely on this season though. If you start taking into consideration previous seasons and final series where do you draw the line. Cousins, Akermanis or Black could be rated the no.1 player if we just rate them on their careers.

because its based on the level of football that a player is currently capable of producing.cousins and aker are well passed their prime and could not produce anywher near the level of footy they used to produce.

just basing it on one year dosent give us enough to rate them on, although it has alot of weight other seasons should be taken into account.its like doing a survey , just asking 10 people isnt going to give you enough data.

by the way if riewoldt plays well in september than he can join the likes of ablett, judd, brown but that hasnt happend yet.

I don't understand this? Last year? he was considered probably as the second best key forward in the game and was All Australian.

well ever since he was drafted he has been expected for real big things...but last year with his start to the year, kicking for goal and the saints final series he started copping quite a bit of criticism

because its based on the level of football that a player is currently capable of producing.cousins and aker are well passed their prime and could not produce anywher near the level of footy they used to produce.

just basing it on one year dosent give us enough to rate them on, although it has alot of weight other seasons should be taken into account.its like doing a survey , just asking 10 people isnt going to give you enough data.

by the way if riewoldt plays well in september than he can join the likes of ablett, judd, brown but that hasnt happend yet.
What has Brown done in the finals apart from that game in 2004? Riewoldt has had his bags of 3 goals on numerous occasions just like Brown. Cousins was pretty good on the weekend. Aker was in AA form early in the season. Where do you rate Barry Hall as a player?

well ever since he was drafted he has been expected for real big things...but last year with his start to the year, kicking for goal and the saints final series he started copping quite a bit of criticism

I think you just made that up. People were still saying he's one of the best players in the game. He kicked 5 goals and took 15 marks in the semi final last year. He is capable of playing well in finals. He has definitely produced since being drafted. He's won 4 best and fairests and been a 3 time all australian. he won the Leigh Matthews trophy, probably the most accurate award for the best player in the league in '04 and statistically that year was the best year we have seen from a key forward since Wayne Carey in 1998.

I think you just made that up. People were still saying he's one of the best players in the game. He kicked 5 goals and took 15 marks in the semi final last year. He is capable of playing well in finals. He has definitely produced since being drafted. He's won 4 best and fairests and been a 3 time all australian. he won the Leigh Matthews trophy, probably the most accurate award for the best player in the league in '04 and statistically that year was the best year we have seen from a key forward since Wayne Carey in 1998.

bloody hell mate...im not doubting hes a good player..im a huge riewoldt fan the way he has led the saints this year is nothing but spectacular

all im saying is if you can remember his start to the year last year people started doubting him and he was copping quite a lot of criticism...the criticism i dont think was warranted coz liek u stated hes accomplished so much already...my point is just the way the media changes its opinion of players so quickly when they have hit a rough patch of form

What has Brown done in the finals apart from that game in 2004? Riewoldt has had his bags of 3 goals on numerous occasions just like Brown. Cousins was pretty good on the weekend. Aker was in AA form early in the season. Where do you rate Barry Hall as a player?

being pretty good on the weekend and close to AA form early in the season does not mean you are capable of producing a level of football that gives you the title of best player in the comp.

perhaps you have a point about brown in finals, point still stands that riewoldt has been very poor overall in finals games. he only imposed himself once against the side that finished 8th on the ladder.

hall was a gun, champion power forward.

im not saying riewoldts not a gun , he is , would take him anyday at geelong.his record in finals means he cant the best player in the comp.

ablett was voted the best player in the comp because he has no fault at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

60% say Ablett is best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back