Player Watch #7 Harry Cunningham

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry.jpg

Harry Cunningham

Player Profile

Harry Cunningham is one of the quickest players at the Sydney Swans, is clean by hand and foot and can play in defence, on a wing and in the forward line. The 2012 draftee was in blistering form over the opening seven rounds of the 2019 campaign, before injury limited him to just two games over the remainder of the season, so expect him to be hungry for a comeback 2020 year. Draft history: 2012 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 93; 2012 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney) selection No. 107

Harry Cunningham

DOB: 06 December 1993
DEBUT: 2012
DRAFT: 2012
RECRUITED FROM: Turvey Park (NSW)/NSW-ACT U18/Wagga (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to bump the thread of someone whose thread hasn't been bumped in a while and I chose Cunningham. I think more so than any other area of the game, a back 6/7 is only as good as its weakest member. If there is a liability then it can have a knock-on effect as the rest have to pick up the slack.

And no I am not for one second suggesting Cunningham is the weakest member of our back six. But think about how easily he could be. Not a big gorilla who can take the glory of a Coleman Medallist scalp, not a player afforded the license to play loose and rack up intercept marks, not a flashy, prolific rebounding type who can blow up the Fantasy scores. He could easily get lost or go into his shell or not know his role or place.

But Cunningham is bloody good, and when I think of him lately I think steady. How many times a game is there just this frantic mad scramble of a pack deep in defence, where any loose ball spilling out could lead to an opposition goal, and Cunningham is always just... there. Ready for the handball receive, the smother, the tackle, whatever will be needed to avoid some catastrophic **** up 15m out.

Our defence might cop it for marks inside 50 against them but the very best defenders in the comp have been made to look silly when the opposition can waltz in unimpeded and hit targets lace out. Our defenders are awesome and if those up the ground can put more pressure on, they'll be even better!

Sorry for the rant.

I just wanted to bump the thread of someone whose thread hasn't been bumped in a while and I chose Cunningham. I think more so than any other area of the game, a back 6/7 is only as good as its weakest member. If there is a liability then it can have a knock-on effect as the rest have to pick up the slack.

And no I am not for one second suggesting Cunningham is the weakest member of our back six. But think about how easily he could be. Not a big gorilla who can take the glory of a Coleman Medallist scalp, not a player afforded the license to play loose and rack up intercept marks, not a flashy, prolific rebounding type who can blow up the Fantasy scores. He could easily get lost or go into his shell or not know his role or place.

But Cunningham is bloody good, and when I think of him lately I think steady. How many times a game is there just this frantic mad scramble of a pack deep in defence, where any loose ball spilling out could lead to an opposition goal, and Cunningham is always just... there. Ready for the handball receive, the smother, the tackle, whatever will be needed to avoid some catastrophic **** up 15m out.

Our defence might cop it for marks inside 50 against them but the very best defenders in the comp have been made to look silly when the opposition can waltz in unimpeded and hit targets lace out. Our defenders are awesome and if those up the ground can put more pressure on, they'll be even better!

Sorry for the rant.
Couldn't agree more about Harry. Solid as a rock, cool as a cucumber and makes a lot of good choices. Durable. Plus he's one of the most damaging tacklers in the team. Riverina boy.

Good man Harry. :)

Really surprised he hasn't been signed up past this season.
Still doing the job onfield and just seems like a popular and quiet leader around the club.
One of those 'glue' players.

Noticed in the article;
'Cunningham was first introduced to Redkite by former Swans player Rhyce Shaw....'

Of all our former players/coaches Rhyce would be the one I'd love to get back into the fold.
Fine reserves coach, but also a bloke so many former players (eg Alex Johnson, Sam Naismith) compliment as being the guy who provided so much emotional support when they were out with long term injuries.
And a terrific all round mentor.

Good man Rhyce as well. :)

It's crazy how Cunningham is nearly every one of the boys' pick for the nicest bloke at the club (at least out of those who have mentioned that) and so you think, geez he's a likeable guy, surely the more we find out about him the less likeable he'll become. And then you find out more and it's like ohhh he's also heavily involved in charity and community work as well! What an arseh*le!

Good man Harry. :)

Really surprised he hasn't been signed up past this season.
Still doing the job onfield and just seems like a popular and quiet leader around the club.
One of those 'glue' players.

Noticed in the article;
'Cunningham was first introduced to Redkite by former Swans player Rhyce Shaw....'

Of all our former players/coaches Rhyce would be the one I'd love to get back into the fold.
Fine reserves coach, but also a bloke so many former players (eg Alex Johnson, Sam Naismith) compliment as being the guy who provided so much emotional support when they were out with long term injuries.
And a terrific all round mentor.

Good man Rhyce as well. :)
100% on all counts, especially Shawry, but I wouldn't worry about Harry being offered another contract. I only wonder whether he might be taken down the rookie road to create a senior spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7 Harry Cunningham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back