AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…

Remove this Banner Ad

The latte sippers donโ€™t like his interpersonal skills. BRING HIM IN
In tough nut circles he would be known as a weird cat who keeps to himself

Latte sippers are worried he hasnโ€™t yet purchased a vintage typewriter to make cute little personalized motivational cards for his teammates next year

Either way, nothing is screaming โ€œnatural captainโ€

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Itโ€™s about brainer imo this guy has to be our captain next year. Heโ€™s not perfect but he has clearly been our best player the last five years. His 5 dominating weeks in the Brownlow was a reminder of what he is capable of. His leadership style I would expect to be polar opposite to Dyson and I definitely think him and Brad would make a great Cap/Coach. I like when Brad indicated that the coaches would select the leaders opposed to a mediocre group of footballers selecting one (He didnโ€™t say that explicitly) but I knew what he meant.

Given Brad Scott will seemingly be appointing the leadership group and the captain (and seems to favour a handover prior to the last season of the previous captain) I think we can be sure that it won't be Heppell, and that whatever decision he makes will not necessarily be the one anointed by previous media departments.

If he gets the gig it would be because he's the best available person for it... unless it's written in a contract somewhere ๐Ÿ˜ฌ (I don't think it is though)
Was possibly in the previous contract given it was his post-ban contract

Don't think he should be captain at all. I think he's a lesser leader than McGrath comfortably and even the likes of Shiel, Redman, Wright, Draper.

No doubt he'll be captain or vice captain but I still think he shouldn't be.

Don't think he should be captain at all. I think he's a lesser leader than McGrath comfortably and even the likes of Shiel, Redman, Wright, Draper.

No doubt he'll be captain or vice captain but I still think he shouldn't be.
I could see Redders or Drapes possibly in the future as I think these guys are on the verge of being something special. Iโ€™m a bit old school where is see leadership is earnt and not given. I would be surprised if they donโ€™t give Zerret the leadership. The only other one I can see as a long shot is Redders.

I could see Redders or Drapes possibly in the future as I think these guys are on the verge of being something special. Iโ€™m a bit old school where is see leadership is earnt and not given. I would be surprised if they donโ€™t give Zerret the leadership. The only other one I can see as a long shot is Redders.
What has he done to earn it? Played well? A good player doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be a good leader. He's not great defensively, he doesn't take us on his back and drags us over the line, his interpersonal skills aren't great. I just don't see it.

McGrath outstrips him in every facet of leadership from what I've seen. He has to be captain for me and will be a long term one as well.

Merrett being captain over him would be like Zaharakis over Heppell. A bizarre choice.

What has he done to earn it? Played well? A good player doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be a good leader. He's not great defensively, he doesn't take us on his back and drags us over the line, his interpersonal skills aren't great. I just don't see it.

McGrath outstrips him in every facet of leadership from what I've seen. He has to be captain for me and will be a long term one as well.

Merrett being captain over him would be like Zaharakis over Heppell. A bizarre choice.
I didnโ€™t say he was perfect but I challenge you to say whoโ€™s been a better player than him for us over the last 6 years? Iโ€™m guessing your preferred leader is McGrath? Interpersonal skills = talk but what is talk without actions?

I didnโ€™t say he was perfect but I challenge you to say whoโ€™s been a better player than him for us over the last 6 years? Iโ€™m guessing your preferred leader is McGrath? Interpersonal skills = talk but what is talk without actions?
Of course Merrett's a better player. How many of the best players at their clubs are captain?

Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Port, St. Kilda and the Dogs. Less than half the club's.

Again, what leadership has Zach displayed over McGrath at this stage? I can't see it

Of course Merrett's a better player. How many of the best players at their clubs are captain?

Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Port, St. Kilda and the Dogs. Less than half the club's.

Again, what leadership has Zach displayed over McGrath at this stage? I can't see it
Um heโ€™s a better player and not a natural back flanker I guess

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back