AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! 🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

Um he’s a better player and not a natural back flanker I guess
Patrick Dangerfield is a better player than Joel Selwood
Martin better than Cotchin
Shuey better than Hurn (half back flanker)
Bont better than Easton Wood (half back flanker)
Mitchell better than Hodge (half back flanker)
Kennedy better than Jarrad McVeigh (half back flanker)
Bartel better than Ling
Pendlebury better than Maxwell
Ablett/Bartel better than Harley

Sam Mitchell was the last player to be a premiership captain that was also the club's best player. All the way back in 2008.
Ahh what’s McGrath showed enlighten me
McGrath has shown to be a strong leader on the track and has shown far more work ethic defensively than Merrett. He should be captain ahead of him.

McGrath needs to figure out his own role and get good at it consistently before adding any extra pressure.

Making someone captain doesn't mean they stay captain until they retire, but for now Merrett is the best equipped to do it and it's not likely to affect his performance. As I recall they made Sam Mitchell captain for a year or two before Hodge was ready. Could be something like that.

Merrett is the one to drive us forward. Yeah he's an imperfect player but he's still the best player on our list and thrives on leadership. He's very much in the mould of a Goddard where his standards would be applauded within another clubs playing group, yet within ours it's met with apathy.

I don't dislike McGrath but honestly he needs to focus on his own game. We don't even know what position he is nearly halfway into his rather middling career. Not against him in the future (likewise Hobbs) but Merrett is the no brainer choice for now.

I firmly believe, despite how good Merrett has been, we still haven't seen the best of him. Give Merrett a team who legitimately buys in and a coach who knows how to coach and drive standards, and I don't think we will regret the decision.

Patrick Dangerfield is a better player than Joel Selwood
Martin better than Cotchin
Shuey better than Hurn (half back flanker)
Bont better than Easton Wood (half back flanker)
Mitchell better than Hodge (half back flanker)
Kennedy better than Jarrad McVeigh (half back flanker)
Bartel better than Ling
Pendlebury better than Maxwell
Ablett/Bartel better than Harley

Sam Mitchell was the last player to be a premiership captain that was also the club's best player. All the way back in 2008.

McGrath has shown to be a strong leader on the track and has shown far more work ethic defensively than Merrett. He should be captain ahead of him.
I might be dumb or something but I seen guys at my level tear it up on the the track but come to game day they couldn’t transfer it. Correct me if I’m wrong but Zach a lot of the time is in the top 20 of the competition of 18 clubs on Brownlow night the last 5 to 6 years. If he is doing that I don’t care if he has the personality of Bruce Doull.

McGrath needs to figure out his own role and get good at it consistently before adding any extra pressure.

Making someone captain doesn't mean they stay captain until they retire, but for now Merrett is the best equipped to do it and it's not likely to affect his performance. As I recall they made Sam Mitchell captain for a year or two before Hodge was ready. Could be something like that.
Agree. Not to say McGrath can't improve on field and become captain later in his career, but this season he was lucky to be playing seniors some weeks (along with a number of others). He might be one that goes to another level when they are given more responsibilities, but we don't want to take the risk of having another captain that is only getting games because they're captain.

Like others have suggested, hopefully he is moved to the backline and dominates, or works on his deficiencies in the off season, but with where the club is at, it's a massive risk to have him as our next captain.

From what the club has published of the review, training standards have been identified as one of the major deficiencies. Makes sense to have Merrett as captain to drive that (from reports is a hard trainer but not previously known as a great relationship builder). Can probably get away with him as a captain to drive that for a couple of years to set standards and develop a high performing culture. Bit like having a coach that drives hard standards/a strict gameplan and then replacing them with one that gives them more freedom (eg Collingwood). If he grows into the role and the players love him, great. If not, Redman, Draper, an improved McGrath or Hobbs are waiting in the wings

I might be dumb or something but I seen guys at my level tear it up on the the track but come to game day they couldn’t transfer it. Correct me if I’m wrong but Zach a lot of the time is in the top 20 of the competition of 18 clubs on Brownlow night the last 5 to 6 years. If he is doing that I don’t care if he has the personality of Bruce Doull.
It sounds to me like you are looking for a captain that you as a supporter can get behind, rather than the ones that the players will get behind. The role is about 12.5% about game day, and needs to not only be a person who can demonstrate standards, but also foster them. I say foster rather than the word 'drive' that people like to use, because it requires balancing all the tools of behavioural change force, persuasion, manipulation and authority. Over-do any one of those tools and the people around you start to resent, buckle and rebel.

Zach, would be good at using a couple of those tools but if he can't build good relationships then it will be hard to use persuasion, which is the most sustainable of the tools.

No one on the list looks to have the perfect profile of respect (natural authority) and those interpersonal skills. You would have to say McGrath was selected above Taranto and McCluggage because he had natural and practical leadership skills, so he would have to be in the mix. But as others point out, if he doesn't build respect on the field then he too will struggle for that reason.

EDIT: Or you might feel that the actual leadership part and driving standards is the coaches job, and the Captain just tosses the coin and goes on photo opportunities (which might well be the truth).

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you are looking for a captain that you as a supporter can get behind, rather than the ones that the players will get behind. The role is about 12.5% about game day, and needs to not only be a person who can demonstrate standards, but also foster them. I say foster rather than the word 'drive' that people like to use, because it requires balancing all the tools of behavioural change force, persuasion, manipulation and authority. Over-do any one of those tools and the people around you start to resent, buckle and rebel.

Zach, would be good at using a couple of those tools but if he can't build good relationships then it will be hard to use persuasion, which is the most sustainable of the tools.

No one on the list looks to have the perfect profile of respect (natural authority) and those interpersonal skills. You would have to say McGrath was selected above Taranto and McCluggage because he had natural and practical leadership skills, so he would have to be in the mix. But as others point out, if he doesn't build respect on the field then he too will struggle for that reason.

EDIT: Or you might feel that the actual leadership part and driving standards is the coaches job, and the Captain just tosses the coin and goes on photo opportunities (which might well be the truth).
You were close. I’m looking for less talk more action (I am a big fan of Clint Eastwood ). We have been embarrassing for the last six or so years yeah we made finals. The only constant I have seen in this time despite all of his deficiencies (which a lot point out) is Zerret!!! I don’t dislike McGrath but the bottom line is I don’t he will live up to his potential! Redders I think will peak in 2 years and I’m just sensing something special with drapes as ruckman can be like wine, get better with age but Zach is the captain for now I believe it just feels right

He'll be made captain for want of anyone better suited but from the outside I'm not sure his leadership is that great compared to other captains across the AFL.

I think the most likely outcome is he captains for 2-4 years until Hobbs or Humphrey/Clarke (assuming we draft one of the guys with leadership ability) are ready to take over.

He'll be made captain for want of anyone better suited but from the outside I'm not sure his leadership is that great compared to other captains across the AFL.

I think the most likely outcome is he captains for 2-4 years until Hobbs or Humphrey/Clarke (assuming we draft one of the guys with leadership ability) are ready to take over.
All I will say is we got to stop looking outside and emulating Richmond and such. What’s good for them is not necessarily good for us I’m sick of being Richmond Mark 2 and not our own thing. Look at Geelong they weren’t copying anyone. 10 clubs are likely to change captainship why should we worry what others do? Let’s do us for a change create or own brand. (Preferably not Essington).

All I will say is we got to stop looking outside and emulating Richmond and such. What’s good for them is not necessarily good for us I’m sick of being Richmond Mark 2 and not our own thing. Look at Geelong they weren’t copying anyone. 10 clubs are likely to change captainship why should we worry what others do? Let’s do us for a change create or own brand. (Preferably not Essington).
Selecting strong leaders as captain is definitely something we should try and emulate lol

Of course Merrett's a better player. How many of the best players at their clubs are captain?

Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Port, St. Kilda and the Dogs. Less than half the club's.

Again, what leadership has Zach displayed over McGrath at this stage? I can't see it
I don’t have a strong view on this Merrett v McGrath question to be honest, but why the talk in absolutes here?

You keep saying Merrett hasn’t displayed much in the way of leadership, but has McGrath either, really?

If so, how has McGrath done so?

Personally I have nothing against McGrath. It’s nots his fault he got selected as a number 1 pick as a back flanker. Dodo is the the root of all evils.

What has he done to earn it? Played well? A good player doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be a good leader. He's not great defensively, he doesn't take us on his back and drags us over the line, his interpersonal skills aren't great. I just don't see it.

McGrath outstrips him in every facet of leadership from what I've seen. He has to be captain for me and will be a long term one as well.

Merrett being captain over him would be like Zaharakis over Heppell. A bizarre choice.
I agree with what you've identified about Merrett and I prefer McGrath as well, but if 'taking us on his back and dragging us over the line' is in the criteria, McGrath doesn't do that either. The cupboard is so so bare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it such a poison chalice not to give him the leadership? I know it’s not just me and maybe a few others that think it can’t be any worse in what we have already done.

What has he done to earn it? Played well? A good player doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be a good leader. He's not great defensively, he doesn't take us on his back and drags us over the line, his interpersonal skills aren't great. I just don't see it.

McGrath outstrips him in every facet of leadership from what I've seen. He has to be captain for me and will be a long term one as well.

Merrett being captain over him would be like Zaharakis over Heppell. A bizarre choice.
Would not say every aspect. Merrett has only had one real issue as a player and that has been his poor defensive game. He has always prepared and trained as good or better than anyone. He also did not just crack the shits when he was dropped from the leadership group. Instead he has worked harder on his defensive side and was open to playing a different role for Truck.

Personally I think they would be the same. It is not like McGrath was know for his defensive running when he played midfield either. In fact often if you tracked him during a game he was in slow jog mode as well. McGrath ends up being Heppell version 2 which is not terrible but not a step forward either.

Merrett has limitations as well but as captain he has the scope to be more inspirational on field and having watched him live in games this year you could see his defensive positioning was improved and the effort was being made to keep improving. He had a couple of poor games where it fell away but for the best part of the year you could see the effort. He was also doing a bit more of the team stuff as well. A few blocks and some more physical work.

This is why I have been saying we have a issue with leadership for a while. Both Merrett and McGrath will be okay captains in my view. It is why I am not totally against drafting Jhye Clarke as a combination of him and Ben Hobbs as future leaders is exactly where we need to head. Not that we will draft Clarke.

As a side note I was not a big fan of Maxwell and Mitchell as leaders. If McGrath somehow manages to be be the next captain all I say is I hope it brings the best out of him.

Would not say every aspect. Merrett has only had one real issue as a player and that has been his poor defensive game. He has always prepared and trained as good or better than anyone. He also did not just crack the shits when he was dropped from the leadership group. Instead he has worked harder on his defensive side and was open to playing a different role for Truck.

Personally I think they would be the same. It is not like McGrath was know for his defensive running when he played midfield either. In fact often if you tracked him during a game he was in slow jog mode as well. McGrath ends up being Heppell version 2 which is not terrible but not a step forward either.

Merrett has limitations as well but as captain he has the scope to be more inspirational on field and having watched him live in games this year you could see his defensive positioning was improved and the effort was being made to keep improving. He had a couple of poor games where it fell away but for the best part of the year you could see the effort. He was also doing a bit more of the team stuff as well. A few blocks and some more physical work.

This is why I have been saying we have a issue with leadership for a while. Both Merrett and McGrath will be okay captains in my view. It is why I am not totally against drafting Jhye Clarke as a combination of him and Ben Hobbs as future leaders is exactly where we need to head. Not that we will draft Clarke.

I would not say he only has one real limitation. I’d add (1) doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough and (2) overhead marking. Still a really good player though.

I still remember the look of disgust he gave me at one of the sponsor’s shindigs at Windy Hill when I asked him if he had bourbon in his coke when he was a first year player. That was the look of a future captain.

You might have to deal with it for a bit eth-dog

I still remember the look of disgust he gave me at one of the sponsor’s shindigs at Windy Hill when I asked him if he had bourbon in his coke when he was a first year player. That was the look of a future captain.

You might have to deal with it for a bit eth-dog
As I said, I have no doubt that he'll be captain or vice captain but I still think it would be a mistake

We aren't really spoiled for choice right now.

Who do you suggest if not Zach and why?
McGrath. Whilst I acknowledge he has his own issues, I feel like he's a better leader from what I've seen.

McGrath. Whilst I acknowledge he has his own issues, I feel like he's a better leader from what I've seen.
McGrath would have laughed if I asked him if his coke had bourbon in it I reckon. Stringer would have said yes, Draper would not have understood the question and Redman prefers Emu export.

I would not say he only has one real limitation. I’d add (1) doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough and (2) overhead marking. Still a really good player though.
Well I was saying one real issue and not limitation :cool:
Not sure you can pot 180cm players for not being strong overhead. As far as hitting the scoreboard goes you can say that about 80% of midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! 🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅

Remove this Banner Ad

Back