AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Do any of our players learn actual trades outside of footy or is it all video games and clothing brands?
Most of them end up with property portfolios if they’re in the league for more than a few years, half of them do a degree part time, and a handful were mature age recruits that already have a trade they can go back to. The rest don’t have long enough careers for it to matter.

Most of them end up with property portfolios if they’re in the league for more than a few years, half of them do a degree part time, and a handful were mature age recruits that already have a trade they can go back to. The rest don’t have long enough careers for it to matter.
They can't all be like ROB: https://www.afl.com.au/news/988043/...-driving-reliable-adelaide-crow-reilly-obrien

If reports are true that he's asking for longer deals regarding Stringer & Co he can also look elsewhere imo
Not sure it's anything like this, a bit of a beat up. You can probably tuck the pitchfork away for now.

Wonder if we are getting towards another cross road with Merrett. He is very driven as far as winning finals now and pushing up the ladder but it is starting to look like the club is looking longer term and maybe is having a double take on exactly where the list is at.

Wonder if we are getting towards another cross road with Merrett. He is very driven as far as winning finals now and pushing up the ladder but it is starting to look like the club is looking longer term and maybe is having a double take on exactly where the list is at.

I think he stays. If we get it right he will be there for the finals when we get there. (I don't think we are far off, we fatigued again this year but were better than the year before) Slow build.

I would hate to lose him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not suggesting any trade. Just wondering what happens if we get to the end of next season and they look to unload a few more experienced guys.

I think if there is any kind of reset he's part of it.

And if there was, I hope he is traded, It would be cruel to keep him.

Not suggesting any trade. Just wondering what happens if we get to the end of next season and they look to unload a few more experienced guys.
I would hope he is one of the last senior guys that we want to move on if we do a reset, cant think of any of the other guys in his age bracket that have shown the drive and willingness to adapt that he has.

I dont think losing Stringer and Laverde actually changes the demographic of the list at all. More just Zach not getting a couple of 30 year old mates contracts extended when they are already signed 🤪. Its not his call in the slightest. Shiel and probably Wright dont really make a dent in things either in terms of changing course or slowing or speeding up when we contend. If we did something like trade a few from the Langford, Draper, Redman, Parish, Ridley group i think Zach would wonder what was going on.

I dont think losing Stringer and Laverde actually changes the demographic of the list at all. More just Zach not getting a couple of 30 year old mates contracts extended when they are already signed 🤪. Its not his call in the slightest. Shiel and probably Wright dont really make a dent in things either in terms of changing course or slowing or speeding up when we contend. If we did something like trade a few from the Langford, Draper, Redman, Parish, Ridley group i think Zach would wonder what was going on.
This year is not exactly my point.
Was more thinking along the lines of if there is another purge at the end of next year. If more guys simply do not buy into defense again.
Zack is driven to win finals. What will his decision be if we purge a few more at the end of 2025 and push the finals window back further ?
I know it is not his choice but he may well look elsewhere if we go into rebuild mode again.

This year is not exactly my point.
Was more thinking along the lines of if there is another purge at the end of next year. If more guys simply do not buy into defense again.
Zack is driven to win finals. What will his decision be if we purge a few more at the end of 2025 and push the finals window back further ?
I know it is not his choice but he may well look elsewhere if we go into rebuild mode again.
Yeah I agree and its partly his responsibility. He wants to win, and he himself is one that buys in to the defence. If we did get rid of a few because they wont buy in then shouldn't he be happy that they've been moved on? Nothing is guaranteed as we know, but Essendon are a chance every year. He's not guaranteed success if he stays for the rest of his career, and he's not guaranteed success if he jumps ship.

Yeah I agree and its partly his responsibility. He wants to win, and he himself is one that buys in to the defence. If we did get rid of a few because they wont buy in then shouldn't he be happy that they've been moved on? Nothing is guaranteed as we know, but Essendon are a chance every year. He's not guaranteed success if he stays for the rest of his career, and he's not guaranteed success if he jumps ship.

Also might well be a case of someone having a blind spot for their mates

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back