AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Jack Billings and pick #5 be around the mark?

trading out the one bloke who has openly tried to change the shit show culture this football club is absolutely brainless

If he were to go, the football club is even more stupid than I had (not wanted) to give it credit for.

DO NOT TRADE OUT YOUR CAPTAIN. EVER!!!
Same bloke who wants to give Stringer & Lav longer term deals cause they are mates. Let him go

I don’t think Zach would go.
However he is linked to Lyon - he wanted the club to hire him after Rutten was sacked and in the past has gone to him seeking guidance on his game (also went to Buckley, Selwood and so on).

If there is legitimate tension between ZM + Scotty at the moment I’ll be a bit worried about how this plays out. 0% chance the club lets him go, but really don’t want a Petracca situation

Scotty has issues with all 3 of Merrett, Leverde, Stringer.

He wants Merrett out of the wolfpac.

Merrett is filthy that the Wolfpac are on the way out.

Maybe the leak today is a message to Scott.

Scotty has issues with all 3 of Merrett, Leverde, Stringer.

He wants Merrett out of the wolfpac.

Merrett is filthy that the Wolfpac are on the way out.

Maybe the leak today is a message to Scott.
interesting. you've posted this for a while. i've always found it hard to imagine those three as friends but the way the last few weeks have played out, it looks on the money.

I'll fully melt if Zach leaves. Zach's ability to kick a football is the only reason why we've been semi competitive for the last 8 years. If he leaves, we're done. And who is supposed to be our captain? That's even more laughable.
Yup, I was completely dejected after we lost Daniher, Saad and McKenna.
But if we lose Merrett I think I'll feel similarly about the club as I did in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly - I'm 50/50 about it.

Con - he's a hard worker, our current best player and would be hard to replace next year

Pro - he doesn't play in our next flag, we'd be looking to reduce his CBA over the next 2 years to preserve his body and the draft capital we could source would help us to rebuild quicker

Con - he's a hard worker, our current best player and would be hard to replace next year

Pro - he doesn't play in our next flag, we'd be looking to reduce his CBA over the next 2 years to preserve his body and the draft capital we could source would help us to rebuild quicker

Wouldn't surprise me to see him still playing at 36.

I'm not sure any person playing in our next flag is born yet

Not seeing him go to the Saints. It will not be about the money. If he goes it will be to a team that is in contention to win a flag.
If we go full rebuild then I have no issues if we let him chase some finals success but that is not likely to be known until mid next year.

Bullshit.
Why bullshit ?
I would not be shocked if a couple of others are not asking his manager if everything is all good with him at Essendon.
They can offer.

I do not think I would be talking out of school to say that the dynamics are changing.
Heppell / Shiel / McGrath were pretty close. Heppell gone and Shiel will be before 2026 season.
Zacks boys in the same boat. Not sure that Merrett / McGrath are all that aligned. Bit like the left and right of a political party.

Why bullshit ?
I would not be shocked if a couple of others are not asking his manager if everything is all good with him at Essendon.
They can offer.
Because there's no story.
They're 'preparing' an offer. So, there is no offer.

It's a 'godfather offer', whatever that is, because there is no offer.

Has he even met with them? If there's a meeting I might pay attention. Until then, it's crap.

I do not think I would be talking out of school to say that the dynamics are changing.
Heppell / Shiel / McGrath were pretty close. Heppell gone and Shiel will be before 2026 season.
Zacks boys in the same boat. Not sure that Merrett / McGrath are all that aligned. Bit like the left and right of a political party.
It's hard to say with certainty from outside the club but Merrett and the coach seemed to be very much on the same page with regard to leadership and culture.

Anyway, it's probably just trade season clickbait. I have no doubt most gun players in the comp have 'godfather' offers from rival clubs.

Because there's no story.
They're 'preparing' an offer. So, there is no offer.

It's a 'godfather offer', whatever that is, because there is no offer.

Has he even met with them? If there's a meeting I might pay attention. Until then, it's crap.
100%. Seems like a Tom Morris fill in the blanks type of story.

No doubt he talked to his source at St Kilda and said something like “any others you’re looking at?”

“yeah, like, we would love a player like Merrett”

“really? What would you offer him?”

“Oh, it would have to be a godfather like offer I would assume”

Morris edits it, you have a story.

No doubt he talked to his source at St Kilda and said something like “any others you’re looking at?”

🤷‍♂️
It's as likely as not.

You're all over the process, have you considered a career in sports journalism? With natural talent like this you'll climb the ladder in no time

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back