AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Because there's no story.
They're 'preparing' an offer. So, there is no offer.

It's a 'godfather offer', whatever that is, because there is no offer.

Has he even met with them? If there's a meeting I might pay attention. Until then, it's crap.
It is a story and they will meet with his manager .

you kind of hope that his management when asked the question of ‘can we get Zach out of Essendon’ would turn around and be like ‘absolutely 0 chance of leaving, he’s the captain etc etc’ … but this story kind of makes you think he’s a bit wobbly… which is concerning

Interesting. I assumed Merrett and Scott were on the same page, they certainly appeared to be. Would set the club back a long way, if it were to happen - not just because of his playing ability.
Aligning yourself with an inconsistent ageing 'star' and a barely best 22 defender, in a career sense, is a bit weird. If true.

Until there's a meeting and an actual offer, it's a bullshit story to me.

It's like the story where I'm preparing to become Prime Minister. That's also a story.
Well you are not looking at how the whole game is played. It is not reported wrongly. They are looking to make an offer. That is the game clubs and mangers play. Looking for leverage . There will be other clubs offering their two cents worth as well
. Do you expect them not to report it ? Not like it says Merrett meets with the Saints. It is just run off the mill totally standard off season stuff.

If I was Zach, seeing similar ages players leave that would cement no chance of finals next few years, then I would leave now.
If I was the club, I'd be doing everything possible not to have him leave.
Merret gone will be us doing a North Melb moving on Boomer, sending us in a bottom 3 doomloop.

Merrett is definitely our best player—his kicking is on point, he’s super consistent, and he’s always trying to better himself and push his teammates. Still, if the right trade came along, I wouldn’t completely rule it out.

As for the next captain, I’m not super familiar with everyone’s personalities. A few names pop into my head, but some of the younger guys might not be ready for that kind of responsibility. Crazy idea, but I think I’d actually consider Draper, he’s got a good vibe and seems to know how to rally the team!

It's hard to say with certainty from outside the club but Merrett and the coach seemed to be very much on the same page with regard to leadership and culture.

Anyway, it's probably just trade season clickbait. I have no doubt most gun players in the comp have 'godfather' offers from rival clubs.
They are in the same page but we have had a few little groups within the group.
Of course it is normal off season stuff but that is how the clubs and player managers play the off season. Would not just be saying it is click bait. It is behind the scenes leverage. Chirping away like tryin to find opal n a rock wall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this just a move by his management to get Zac more coin??
Didn’t he sign a long term contract 3 years back making him our highest paid player but no increase in line with the industry increase? So he may be on $850k when he should be on a million.
Doubt it. It is not about the money for Zack.

I'll fully melt if Zach leaves. Zach's ability to kick a football is the only reason why we've been semi competitive for the last 8 years. If he leaves, we're done. And who is supposed to be our captain? That's even more laughable.

What does 'Done' mean?

No finals in 20 years, highest finish is 7th in 22 years, I'm pretty sure we've been done for a while.

I'll fully melt if Zach leaves. Zach's ability to kick a football is the only reason why we've been semi competitive for the last 8 years. If he leaves, we're done. And who is supposed to be our captain? That's even more laughable.

tbh 2016 was one of the more enjoyable seasons watching AFL for me, such a ride. I'd probably find 2025 more engaging if something like Merrett being traded happened, would make the entire season such a wildcard.

If he requested a trade you let him go, wasted enough of his career with us. Money would be nice but I’m sure he just wants to win a final.

Can't say that I think this gets off the ground but I see it the same way.

As a club we have not been able to hold up our end of the bargain for a guy who is as driven as Zach is. Sure, we can hold him to his contract but why are we doing that? Because we're going to be making our long awaited foray beyond week 1 of the finals next season? LOL.

As long as we get fair value I have no issue and he goes with well wishes. Fair value is an interesting idea. Zach turns 29 in a few weeks. What's the going rate for a player who would be playing his first season as a '30 year old' if born a few months earlier? Clearly a first round pick is reasonable, particularly as the Saints have a decent pick. But I don't think we're looking too much after that.

We could spend all trade period arguing about it, and pretending that we are maintaining credibility (the organisation does not have), or we could act like a bunch of secure grown ups, take a reasonable offer, and move on. We could make a statement that isn't cliched drivel about professional standards. The press release would write itself.

Life goes on, a point which AFL, when compared to other sports, doesn't really recognise. Specifically for Essendon fans, and their concern about replacing x, y and z? We've been shifting deck chairs on the Titanic for the best part of a decade and have absolutely nothing to show for it. What are you really clinging to, letting yourself be sucked into a false dawn every 12 months? In true Essendon fashion, maybe the only way we ever build something good from here is to have a rebuild forced on us.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back