AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Zachs prolly pissed about his Fortnite crew all getting the boot (Lav, Hind & Stringer). Might be his way of acting out.

Anyway we have so many midfielders and we aren't winning a flag in the next 3 years, if we can actually get an insane deal from the Saints we should do it.

Then we can use that to get Harley Reid :)

He's been a far better captain than I projected but a tag us still his kryptonite and that has him just below the level of irreplaceable for mine.
think it's because we don't have anyone who can perform in his place

tbh 2016 was one of the more enjoyable seasons watching AFL for me, such a ride. I'd probably find 2025 more engaging if something like Merrett being traded happened, would make the entire season such a wildcard.
You're right. The Melbourne and Carlton wins were fun.

If he really ends up wanting to go, then cash in now before Tassie compromises the draft. Take three top 10 selections before a Kako bid, win the spoon next year and draft Dyson Sharp with pick 1.

Let's do a proper rebuild.

He's been a far better captain than I projected but a tag us still his kryptonite and that has him just below the level of irreplaceable for mine.
how many players genuinely break a tag week in and week out ?
Players at good club’s get some help from teammates.
Sometimes Zack ends up playing more defensive when he has the tag.
For me the issue is not Zack not being able to handle it. The issue is the support crew either do little to help him break it or are not up to taking over the mantle and running with it when he does get a solid tag.

What does 'Done' mean?

No finals in 20 years, highest finish is 7th in 22 years, I'm pretty sure we've been done for a while.
I mean whatever we've been trying to build since 2020 is over. Meaning we need to do a proper rebuild from the ground up. Take St Kilda's first two selections (Battle compensation) and do it over again. This is a great draft to build on Caddy and Roberts.

This story makes no sense from either side. From Zach's side, if he's desperate for success, why go to a club that's won 1 flag in 150+ years that's not in a premiership window & plays in front of small crowds week in week out? He may be frustrated with us (rightly so) but St.Kilda?

From St.Kilda's perspective - are you really believing you're Zach Merrett away from contending? Especially when the price will be steep from a picks or player + salary perspective?

Story sounds like a massive load of Tom Morris bullshit to fill a quiet trade-news week.

I'm really unsure how to feel about this potential trade. In many ways it would signify a totally ruthless list rebuild approach, should he ask to leave. Personally one to me that is starting to feel quite necessary due to the significant failures of Dodoro and co. This could very well be a turning point for the club in many ways...

No one player is bigger than the club, but what price it's soul?

I mean whatever we've been trying to build since 2020 is over. Meaning we need to do a proper rebuild from the ground up. Take St Kilda's first two selections (Battle compensation) and do it over again. This is a great draft to build on Caddy and Roberts.

Zach will stay, can't see it happening, but...

I think him leaving for 2 1st rounders is the exact thing we need. We need a circuit breaker, the list is not good, the captain leaving is a genuine line in the sand moment, it's a completely new path with a new administration.

If you give Rosa pick 7, 8, 9, and Kako it's genuinely ground zero. That's super exciting for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea who'd be Captain, no idea who'd step up as a player or leader, no idea how we'd perform and whether it was galvanise the playing group or break them. Among other things.
Adversity can sometimes be the making of group - but not always.

New voice, new responsibility, new standards, new direction.

For me, so much of this would depend on how the football department is now set up to manage what could be, rather than the actual playing group.

Scott said it would take time and I back him in here, because we can't just keep doing the same.

Not seeing him go to the Saints. It will not be about the money. If he goes it will be to a team that is in contention to win a flag.
If we go full rebuild then I have no issues if we let him chase some finals success but that is not likely to be known until mid next year.

I think it will have a lot to do with the coach also.
Brad Scott has made a lot of mistakes, with the players and on field.
If he feels like he doesn't believe in the direction, and can't lead that message, then he'll probably leave.

Anyone think Zach's reported issues with Lav & Stringer being pushed out have more to do with the clubs plans to rebuild/refresh the list than about losing his mates? If he's seeing the writing on the wall that Scott & Co are moving towards a rebuild and youth focus when he really only has another 2-3 'guaranteed' years in of his prime (he may do a Pendlebury and kick on at a high level to 36/37 but that's a very rare genetic trait) then there may be something to him at least being somewhat open to considering moving to a club that at least wants to have a crack at success that better fits his career timeline

I get where you're coming from, but I think it's important to see the "rebuild" as more of an ongoing evolution than just starting from scratch every few years. The foundations we’ve been laying since 2020(or before), even if they haven’t fully paid off yet has to be a part of a longer-term strategy to accumulate talent and depth. Sure, we’ve got some gaps in leadership and depth right now, but that doesn’t mean the entire project is a bust.

It's about continuously adding quality pieces like Caddy and Roberts among others, while also developing the guys already in the system, which is where i would target the efforts, we dont develop the talent we have like other teams and when you look a the teams that succeed consistently they don’t just tear it all down—they keep refining, adding to the mix, and growing/developing from what’s already there.

Obviously the overall goal from the club(I hope) is to get to a point where we’re not just competing in flashes, but consistently. That’s where an ever evolving build, rather than resetting every few years, makes more sense so keep Zach unless the Saints have a brain fart and offer way overs.

some serious gymnastics to take a guy who is 28 and turn him into a 30 year old. he's pushing 40!

Next year the 2013 / 1995 born draftee turns 30.

Josh Kelly, for example will start the season having turned 30 as he was born in February). Merrett will play the season not yet having turned 30 because he was born in October.

Merrett is no less a '30 year old' for the purpose of the trade discussion that will follow.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back