AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

How are you judging this list in a few years based on the now?
I just don't see McKay, McGrath, Parish, Langford, Redman, Ridley, Wright, Duursma, Gresham and Draper ever being good enough, these blokes are on long term deals on good money, some injury prone and they all play important roles.

All of those blokes will be here next season, Merrett included, so we'll find out if they finally find some resolve and stop going to water when the pressure is on.

Taken his Essendon bio out of his Instagram page..
Are we certain that it was in there in the first place? His page is about 60% full of Essendon posts. If he was going to do that, wouldn't he delete all the pictures too?
Yep he did it seems. I remember seeing the red and black dots and maybe his number. But I'm pretty sure he has done that before to disconnect from football over the off-season

It's not just Zach who needs to agree, if he's under contract the club would need to agree as well.

I doubt he needs the money, and given the choices he had a couple of years ago and still chose Essendon, with whatever money and hopes for team success we had at that time, it seems unlikely he'd cut and run now for St Kilda's money.

And unlike Joe, I can't see Zach sitting on the fence for the rest of his contract if he decided he wanted to go and then didn't. He's more principled than any other player I've ever come across.

But... 🤷‍♀️

Something like this would potentially lead to Zach getting a pay rise, and could cause a ripple effect that allows them to shake loose someone like Tsatas or Shiel instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can't get our shit together as a club, which I have my doubts we ever will, losing players like Merrett is just gonna be the reality of where we're at.
It's pretty much certain that we've gotta go backwards if we're ever gonna move forwards, and I think we can all agree that ZM is built to play in a team that's contending for a flag.

Something like this would potentially lead to Zach getting a pay rise, and could cause a ripple effect that allows them to shake loose someone like Tsatas or Shiel instead.
Yep, all an elaborate ruse to shake a lemon from the top of the tree. After expressing their disinterest over a couple of seasons now they've surely lowered his value, it's a very diabolical plan.

Well you are not looking at how the whole game is played. It is not reported wrongly. They are looking to make an offer. That is the game clubs and mangers play. Looking for leverage . There will be other clubs offering their two cents worth as well
. Do you expect them not to report it ? Not like it says Merrett meets with the Saints. It is just run off the mill totally standard off season stuff.
As I said, to me there's no story until something actually materialises. It is run of the mill totally standard off-season stuff, so click away!

As I said, to me there's no story until something actually materialises. It is run of the mill totally standard off-season stuff, so click away!
Here is the article with all the relevant quotes. I've removed the ones from Tom Morris talking gobshite...

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09...plains-the-saints-audacious-bid-to-lure-zach/ “Just play it out, he’s the captain of the footy club, contracted long-term … it just couldn’t happen,” Cornes said.

Morris agrees.

That's it. No actual quotes or sources of information. It's a big pile of crap to get people clicking. Rather than defending a journalists right to create some such news, a better question to ask is if anyone is concerned about it. I think there is where your answer lies.

Here is the article with all the relevant quotes. I've removed the ones from Tom Morris talking gobshite...

That's it. No actual quotes or sources of information. It's a big pile of crap to get people clicking. Rather than defending a journalists right to create some such news, a better question to ask is if anyone is concerned about it. I think there is where your answer lies.
Thread title nails the guff tbh.

I mean whatever we've been trying to build since 2020 is over. Meaning we need to do a proper rebuild from the ground up. Take St Kilda's first two selections (Battle compensation) and do it over again. This is a great draft to build on Caddy and Roberts.

3 top 10 draft picks... what could possibly go wrong?

It is not the media making this stuff up. They get fed the info. People need to pull their heads out of the sand.
Morris would have been fed the story. It is his job to report it. He even said it is unlikely but that is how it works. Funny how if it is Essendon then it is just garbage click bait but if it is anyone else then lets read it.
It is not a big pile of crap. It is a bloke reporting on info that a club is going to look at offering big coin to an opposition teams captain. That is the story. The fact that anyone wants to take it further and say it is crap and it will not happen is on them. That is not what was reported.
If these story's where simply crap that no one wanted to hear then no one would run with them. No one would post them. It would be a non event.
Blame the clubs and the player managers. They are the ones leaking the info. We do it as well.

i knew it was bullshit - when was the last time a player from the deep state cabal establishment was successfully targeted? it doesn’t happen

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Staying at Essendon! -16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back