Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd be a better sub than Taylor.

I wish I could double-react this.

It deserves a 'thumbs up' for accuracy, and a 'laugh' for being funny.

Should we be concerned about this bloke? Wait another pre-season and then form an opinion? What does he need to do to break into the seniors?

Obviously a handful of possessions and a solitary goal in the VFL isn't enough. There's been more than a few similar games this year including in in the AFL.

Is he a midfielder who goes forward or the other way around? I'm hopeful, as the talent is obvious. I'm just concerned with the output.

Should we be concerned about this bloke? Wait another pre-season and then form an opinion? What does he need to do to break into the seniors?

Obviously a handful of possessions and a solitary goal in the VFL isn't enough. There's been more than a few similar games this year including in in the AFL.

Is he a midfielder who goes forward or the other way around? I'm hopeful, as the talent is obvious. I'm just concerned with the output.
Tricky conditions on the weekend in the VFL. His game vs. Collingwood a month ago was his best for the year, and a good reflection of what type of player he might be in time. I think he'll have the flexibility to play across HF, Wing and onball. Would be good to see him string a couple of strong performances together in the VFL so he can finish the year in the seniors. Definitely too big for his boots early in the year, and that reflected in his performance.

He is still probably our highest skilled player. I wouldn’t think there is reason to worry about a 190cm lean young forward in his first year of AFL - in a team that makes Larkey look like he is meeting his pizza delivery driver at the front of his house on a pair of ice skates and in the dark.

Last edited:
In Barlow, Lynch and the other coaches we trust. I think the Audi might have been let out of the garage a little early. The Giants game in Rd 1 we saw and heard the purr of the motor and all got very very excited.

But Junior talent and reputation only get you so far. Would like to see him earn 1-2 games before the season finishes. 2025 will see the Audi again purring in our forward line.

Zane’s role is just extremely difficult for first year players.

He’s not that half back uncontested player.

He needs to compete directly with blokes that have had several seasons (and preseasons) under their belt. To be honest what hes shown through raw talent is that even now he can make some of those guys look silly at times.

But he needs that big preseason under his belt where he comes back ten kegs heavier with tank to match.

He reminds me a lot of Taryn. The kind of bloke that pisses silk

I just cast my eyes over the drafts since 2021 and here are the guys I think have adjusted best to AFL level from those crops:
Daicos, Gulden, Ashcroft, Sheezel, JHF, Reid, Wardlaw, Wanganeen-Milera and Mckercher.

So that's 9 guys:
4 of them entered the comp with already elite endurance bases: Daicos, Gulden, Sheezel, Mckercher
3 of them entered the comp at ideal body weight for their size/position: JHF, Reid, Wardlaw (honestly you could probably put all of the above guys in this category too which is probably why they've been more consistent than these 3)

Ashcroft had a mix of close enough to ideal body weight, and having a very solid tank. He's the only real exception to this rule though if we're being strict about it.
Wanganeen-Milera had to build his tank and weight. He came into the AFL weighing 70kg and has that up to 76kg, still slender but helpful nonetheless. He averaged 66% TOG in his first season and then got that up to 82% in his second season which he has sustained this season - so he's built the tank, even though he's on the skinny side.

So elite tank or built ready to go - which does Duursma have?

189cm, 79kg - Not ready to go from a size perspective. Needs another 5-6kg
6:54 2km at the combine - If this means nothing to you, there were 47 guys that ran the 2km at the National Combine, and Zane came in 38th. 6 of the 9 guys that finished behind Zane were 195cm or taller (including our own Goad and Dawson), and 4 of those 6 were 200cm+.

There have been comments RE: professionalism and perhaps not working hard enough - working on your endurance is about as important as anything in modern day football. If he can flick the switch and work hard on his tank, he'll be fine.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just cast my eyes over the drafts since 2021 and here are the guys I think have adjusted best to AFL level from those crops:
Daicos, Gulden, Ashcroft, Sheezel, JHF, Reid, Wardlaw, Wanganeen-Milera and Mckercher.

So that's 9 guys:
4 of them entered the comp with already elite endurance bases: Daicos, Gulden, Sheezel, Mckercher
3 of them entered the comp at ideal body weight for their size/position: JHF, Reid, Wardlaw (honestly you could probably put all of the above guys in this category too which is probably why they've been more consistent than these 3)

Ashcroft had a mix of close enough to ideal body weight, and having a very solid tank. He's the only real exception to this rule though if we're being strict about it.
Wanganeen-Milera had to build his tank and weight. He came into the AFL weighing 70kg and has that up to 76kg, still slender but helpful nonetheless. He averaged 66% TOG in his first season and then got that up to 82% in his second season which he has sustained this season - so he's built the tank, even though he's on the skinny side.

So elite tank or built ready to go - which does Duursma have?

189cm, 79kg - Not ready to go from a size perspective. Needs another 5-6kg
6:54 2km at the combine - If this means nothing to you, there were 47 guys that ran the 2km at the National Combine, and Zane came in 38th. 6 of the 9 guys that finished behind Zane were 195cm or taller (including our own Goad and Dawson), and 4 of those 6 were 200cm+.

There have been comments RE: professionalism and perhaps not working hard enough - working on your endurance is about as important as anything in modern day football. If he can flick the switch and work hard on his tank, he'll be fine.

Question for the pundits: how have his brothers fared in their 2km times?

Question for the pundits: how have his brothers fared in their 2km times?
Zane went from a 520 yo-yo in 2022 pre-season testing to 640 in 2023 pre-season testing.

Willem tested at 680 in this year's pre-season testing yo-yo and he'll obviously have time to improve that by next year.

I unfortunately don't have Xavier's numbers.

I'd like to see how he goes off halfback and in midfield for a stint, VFL of course. I reckon a bit of simple 'see ball-get ball' will help his development.

May have exaggerated, I think it was around page 40.
It wasn't that rough. Don't be TDKs mum.

Anyway its looking like a good call the longer the year goes on. Duursma has had some games in the VFL where he played like Thomas has in the past. Showed similar dynamism, ran out the front of packs to send it long to the forward line etc etc.

No 100% like for like but close enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back