Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne can confirm midfielder Daniel Wells suffered a calf strain in the VFL on Saturday playing for North Ballarat.

The 30-year-old was competing in his third game at the lower level, but was forced from the ground in the third quarter according to Kangaroos’ Director of Football Geoff Walsh.

“Daniel felt some tightness in his left calf during the match and came off for medical assessment,” Walsh explained.

“We made the decision not to take any risks with him and he played no further part in the game.”

Walsh says Wells will be monitored throughout the week.

“Our advice is that the injury is a low-level strain, so nothing major or of too much concern which is a good result in the circumstances and given his recent Achilles history.

“The medical team will work with him closely over the next couple of days to see how he responds to treatment before we determine his availability.”

Walsh stated the club hasn’t given up hope of seeing Wells return for the senior side.

“We’ll aim to get Daniel back up and running as soon as possible,” he said.

“We’re still two weeks away from the start of finals so we have some time to get him right all going well.”

More By Heath O'Loughlin

Doneski.

Set him up for 2016.

If it truly is a calf strain, let him go for broke this year if he can. It is his achilles that dictates the long term view, not the calf.
If the calf is on the same leg as the achillies I would be overly cautious and put him in rehab until January.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldnt hold much hope for him to get back this year. Low level strain for most players would be 2 to 3 weeks minimum. Given his history and explosive way he plays I would actually say no chance of him holding up in a final. He is obviously not a fast healer either.

I saw Wells first hand from the opposition coaches box on Saturday, and after qtr time he was clearly slowing down.

Was benched and had his legs worked on for the last 10 minutes of the second term and we (Coburg) thought he may have been done for the day.

Came on 3 minutes into the 3rd term and played deep forward only. Hardly sniffed it and didn't have a second effort. When his calf went, he walked/hobbled 60 metres very slowly past the ongoing play, and obviously wasn't keen to get involved at all.

This "minor strain, he might get up" stuff from Walsh doesn't seem consistent with what I saw to be a season ending calf strain.

Aren't Calf strains also known as old mans lnjury, 2 weeks would be extremely optimistic prognosis going by previous examples IIRC
Correct, calves usually linger for several weeks and are prone to reoccurring. I think we should just write this season off for Wells and get a big preseason into him in preparation for a huge 2016.

I saw Wells first hand from the opposition coaches box on Saturday, and after qtr time he was clearly slowing down.

Was benched and had his legs worked on for the last 10 minutes of the second term and we (Coburg) thought he may have been done for the day.

Came on 3 minutes into the 3rd term and played deep forward only. Hardly sniffed it and didn't have a second effort. When his calf went, he walked/hobbled 60 metres very slowly past the ongoing play, and obviously wasn't keen to get involved at all.

This "minor strain, he might get up" stuff from Walsh doesn't seem consistent with what I saw to be a season ending calf strain.
Thanks for the info

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back