Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't posted on BF For a really long time but thought I would bring this up here.

I was watching Wells very closely at the game on Saturday (Went down with my daughter using my new membership) and just before he was subbed he was in a contest and got up very gingerly. He limped over to the bench and didn't come back on (Was subbed off). Looked like it might have been a corkie in the lower calf but potentially a little worse. So I think unless he comes up 100% its a good week to rest him (A long flight otherwise)

Yes but you would have to be at the game to see that.:rolleyes:
It was pretty obvious he was uncomfortable and a rest would do him the world of good. It is no surprise as he had months without contact footy and has now endured 5 weeks of being battered.

YOUNG Port Adelaide player Chad Wingard doesn't think North Melbourne's Daniel Wells will remember him if he lines up on the Kangaroos star on Saturday, but Wells certainly left an impression on the future gun years ago at AAMI Stadium.

Wingard, like many other fans that day, had attempted to get Wells' autograph before the Kangaroos' match against the Power, but didn't have a pen or paper.

After the match though, Wells made the effort to sign a poster for Wingard, who admitted he didn't even follow football at the time, and it's safe to say last year's No.6 NAB AFL Draft pick hasn't forgotten the act of kindness.

"To show that someone would go out of their way just for a supporter who really doesn't follow football, he didn't know me and it just shows how much he cares about everyone who supports him," Wingard said.

"I've met him a couple of times, but he wouldn't remember, it was just through the AIS casually and I knew Majak Daw…I kind of just went up to him and asked for a photo - I've got photos on Facebook and stuff like that of him.

"He's just been an inspiration for me."

Wingard said it was his idol's ability to play both inside and out of the contest that appealed to him, as well as his knack of changing the course of a game off his own boot.

"The stuff that he can do can just break games and change it, so that's one thing that I've been trying to do is learn to have that ability," Wingard said.

"I mean, that's the most important thing in a game these days...if you kick one goal or do something spectacular to try and shift the momentum to your side it can be the difference between about 20 points in the end."

After impressing early this season, Wingard has missed the last two games with an injured shoulder - sustained in round five's Showdown with the Crows.

He said he would have to undergo a fitness test this week in order to be selected for Saturday's Indigenous Round game against North Melbourne and his football idol.

Given his own indigenous heritage, Wingard said the match would hold extra significance.

"Indigenous Round shows and respects the great indigenous heritage that we have and the players that have left the footprints for the future indigenous payers to step into," said Wingard, who has an Irish mother and an indigenous father.

"It's good that AFL's gotten to a stage where indigenous players are treated equally and we're respected by everyone.

"It makes it a lot easier when you've got Gavin Wanganeen and guys who have played before to, I suppose, pave the path in the way we play our game and make it equal for everyone.

This kid has some serious X factor, package up Tarrant and Levi (don't want him to go, but no consistent games will eventually = homesick) for Wingard and we have a nice replacement for Boomer when he hangs the boots up.

This kid has some serious X factor, package up Tarrant and Levi (don't want him to go, but no consistent games will eventually = homesick) for Wingard and we have a nice replacement for Boomer when he hangs the boots up.

Port would only go for that if we include Ben Davies as a sweetener.

They need midfielders. Greenwood plus Anthony plus second round rick.

He sounds like a good kid. And he will most likely be a 10 year player at port.

Would love to see this bloke at North. Love Greenwood too, but Wingard would be 200+ games of quality.

Throw is Tarrant as the sweetener. I cannot fathom how anyone rates him at all. Dead weight clogging up the list.

Wingard is no chance to be let go by Port. Didn't they do some sort of deal/promise or something, sounds stupid I know, with GWS so they could get him?
Seen as a future superstar of SA. The only way he'd bail on Port is, well, because they're port.
*edit: hoping this post doesn't come back to bite ones arse on the weekend.

The best chance you'll have of snaring Wingard is relocating to SA. The kid is loathe to move which is why GWS didn't use a top 5 pick on him. He's a super talent and already a best 18 player - even though it's Port, it's still impressive for a kid with only 5 games under his belt.

The best chance you'll have of snaring Wingard is relocating to SA. The kid is loathe to move which is why GWS didn't use a top 5 pick on him. He's a super talent and already a best 18 player - even though it's Port, it's still impressive for a kid with only 5 games under his belt.

He looks a ripper. Balanced, quick, proper. Good luck with him.
We have a young jet you may be interested in trading though, goes by the name Urqs. You in?

He looks a ripper. Balanced, quick, proper. Good luck with him.
We have a young jet you may be interested in trading though, goes by the name Urqs. You in?

Imagine if we actually got something for Urqs...anything.

Let's keep pretending we still rate him.

He must be so embarrassed playing with these other supposed " AFL " footballers... poor bugger.. he should have gone to West Coast while he had the chance...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has no company at North. With free agency, is he able to go to another club next year ?

Gun, Brent Harvey should be ashamed of himself.

:thumbsu:
He must be so embarrassed playing with these other supposed " AFL " footballers... poor bugger.. he should haHe is certainlyve gone to West Coast while he had the chance...

He is a cut above. Nuff said, will a once a in a generation creative genius like Wells be part of a successful side in his career? Is there anybody with him, near his level...much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back