Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like more protection on Wellsy. I'm somewhat bothered how OPEN we (can) play without running blocks (think basketball tactics) that many teams already use (even the soft clubs like Port!!). Last Sunday week's CRUNCHING (Of Wells in the 2nd quarter on the HBF) vs Hawthorn was UNFORGIVABLE :mad: the disgraceful pi55 f@rting around with ball (Brown & Hay) could easily cost Wellsy a LONG PAINFUL time on the sidelines. I was SEETHING!! :mad: Blame the braindead gameplan mentality along with the cardboard cut out teamates refusing to offer an option upfield. Can easily happen again to Wellsy with the way North are playing this '******ED STYLE' .

Flag Man said:
What does Judd have that Wells doesn't?
Can anyone really see a comparison? I mean honestly Judd and Wells.:eek:
Look one of them is a player who we hope can gain some consistancy and we hope will start to kick the ball better and we hope will regulary get 25 possies a game. The other is a player who I think could become a tripple Brownlow medalist and who could be the greatest player of all time.
I mean what is it with these stupid comparisions. Wells isn't even in the same class as players like Judd, Hird, Buckley, Ricciuttio ect.... Realisticly Wells is still just average. I mean he only does what an onballer is expected to do. And players like Dalsanto do it far better then him. He has a long way to go. Lets hope he gets better but expecting him to be as good as one of the games greatest is a bit much. Chris Judd is the real deal.

In answer to the original question i would say that Wells needs to get far more consistancy in terms of his presence on the game and needs to kick far more accurately. Too many of his kicks bounce at players feet. No good if your a tall forward.

Angus1 said:
Too many of his kicks bounce at players feet. No good if your a tall forward.

Why is that you think? Could it be that he is RUSHED in his delivery (coz his teammates can't be bothered talking to him (running on)

Could it be that that the forward line players can't read his moves?

Could it be JYD 'forward structure' doesn't really exist?

Could it be Wellsy is 'partially hampered by a foot injury' as it was reported a month ago

Could it be that the players overall skill standards are low so that drags Wellsy's skill down also?

What could it be Angus?

Woodson said:
Why is that you think? Could it be that he is RUSHED in his delivery (coz his teammates can't be bothered talking to him (running on)

Could it be that that the forward line players can't read his moves?

Could it be JYD 'forward structure' doesn't really exist?

Could it be Wellsy is 'partially hampered by a foot injury' as it was reported a month ago

Could it be that the players overall skill standards are low so that drags Wellsy's skill down also?

What could it be Angus?
Basicaly he isn't as good a kick as some people think he is. Simple as that. He misses some easy kicks. Nails some hard ones too so maybe he doesn't concentrate well. Don't know but his kicking skills aren't consistant, put it that way. Generaly when players miss easy kicks it's more to to with what goes on in the head. He is often off and away somewhere else. Get his head right and he will be awesome. I just want to see him hit our forwards on the chest and not at their feet.

As for some of the excuses you make i say no, no, no, maybe, no.
If a forward makes a lead all you hav to do is put it out in front of him so he can run onto it. I'm not sure how the forward can stuff that up. It's pretty easy really. When we see Wells do it we think are gee what a kick but I see that every week at the local country footy. It's no big deal, it's what is expected of every onballer that plays the game.

I've been pretty impressed with him this season even though he hasn't set the world on fire I don't reckon it will be too long before he stakes his claim as one of the best players in the comp. Was watching the reply of the Carlton game and his work around the centre bounces/stopages when he was on was terrific, clean hands and able to deliver accurate long passes by foot off just a couple of steps. Seriously he is such a valuable player. If you get the chance to see the reply on Fox Footy during the week watch him closely because I don't think I can recall any of his possessions not hitting a target up forward or setting up another player in space. Maybe I'm going out on a limb but I'd have to say he is just about the best user of the footy of any bloke in the league. The amount of possessions he's been averaging is up this year on last and if he can take it up a few more (which I fully expect him to do over the coming months/years as he's still only 21 or 22) and be averaging mid to high twenties with the way he uses the ball I reckon this will directly relate to the Roos scoring a few more goals a game and becoming a more threatening side. And anyone who says Aaron Davey is better than him is just a fool who is dazzled by a lightening quick bloke who kicks a few goals. Wells' disposal is consistently near on perfect.

Agree. Davey is a great player but i would take Wells. Besides that, i think he has had a fantastic season. Not your Judd unbelievable season, but a consistent round performer. His game against Carlton was fantastic. Although he did not get numerous possestions, his ability to use the ball and make something happen was a catlyst for our victory. Well done wells.

Watched the replay yesterday....didn't get many possessions but every one of his possessions was important. Is the most important player in our team

BehindTheRoos said:
Agree. Davey is a great player but i would take Wells. Besides that, i think he has had a fantastic season. .
Gee, if you describe Wells season this year as fantastic, what word will you use to describe a season where he plays to somewhere near his potential?

Devil Fish said:
Gee, if you describe Wells season this year as fantastic, what word will you use to describe a season where he plays to somewhere near his potential?
Absolute teaser.

If we could get a decent trade then take it.

Devil Fish said:

I would say he has had a judd of a season.

But really he had been great this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mastermind, this one might be a question for you, but how do I get rust stains out of a calico table cloth?

windsock said:
Mastermind, this one might be a question for you, but how do I get rust stains out of a calico table cloth?

Chuck the table cloth out. Buy another one. Not a calico one. Problem solved.

Wellsy's game was impressive if only for the areas he won the footy. Always in close, got hammered a few times in close, hands were great and set things up. I was impressed.

NorthBhoy said:
Chuck the table cloth out. Buy another one. Not a calico one. Problem solved.

Wellsy's game was impressive if only for the areas he won the footy. Always in close, got hammered a few times in close, hands were great and set things up. I was impressed.

Wells is developing a game that others wouldn't have expected him capable of doing. This will be the season that sets him on course to become a more well-rounded - and valuable - player for this club. I just don't think other supporters would recognise that.

To borrow a line, 'exciting times ahead'.

Took my boys to the Roos Superclinic on Saturday - they all seemed to be a in a good mood after the win against the Blues. A kid asked Wellsy if he was Eddie Sansbury - WTF!!!!!

Arden Street Auskickers played at half time on Friday night - the score North Melbourne 9 Goals 2 points against Blues - duck eggs

Carnthe said:
Mate like to see you out there on the field and kick the ball like him.

Pretty easy comeback. Well I'll say you haven't coached or played at AFL level so you opinion on Wells isn't worth anything either.

I don't think Wells gives us enough. He should back himself a bit more, at the moment the brillance is just flashes.

He's definately making a concerted effort for the hard ball lately. I was worried that he was all hype for a while, but he's just a slow developer (physically). Will probably start peaking next season or the one after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back