AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

If he wants out, I think we just trade him. We don’t owe him anything per se, but we did sell him a bit of a lemon.

If we could get, say, 35 for Shiel and 45 - let him go and wish him the best

we sold shiel a lemon?

His left foot sold us the lemon

Was doing so well for 3 quarters but was nowhere to be seen in the 3rd quarter when the game was on the line. Getting out bodied by Parker in the middle which lead to a goal wasn’t ideal in that quarter wasn’t ideal either.

Safe to say though his defensive pressure and kicking have improved a lot from where it was last year
I thought he spent a lot of time on the bench in the 3rd... I thought I heard that.
kinda like the Freo game.
But I am not 100%

He came to win flags and we put a bunch of plodders around him

mate when shiel came to us he couldn't hit a boat if he fell out of water.

you can argue we let him down all you want, but it goes both ways

I thought Shiel has had a good finish to the season but i would still trade him. He's good enough to be best 22 but he's getting on in years and he's only barely better than his replacements who are all much more likely to be part of our future.
I also don't like the mix of Merrett, Parish and Shiel together. Its simply too small and he's the expendable one.

mate when shiel came to us he couldn't hit a boat if he fell out of water.

you can argue we let him down all you want, but it goes both ways

He came 2nd in our B&F in his first year.

I don’t feel like I’m arguing ‘all I want’, I don’t care that much whether he stays or goes. I’m generally more keen to trade if the player wants out. If he wants to stay, happy to keep him - he’s in pretty good form.

Interview about the loss on 3AW

That sounded like a bloke who's ready to break up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So would a team give us a second for him and a third going back?
for the quality of his media interviews alone they would be mad not to

They don't offer premierships up for sale, unfortunately you have to earn them.
I was waiting for you to pop in your Shiel bashing head in. The last month must have been hell for you, watching your least favourite player on our list be one of our best performed players.

We can dismiss your thoughts on Shiel as easily as my thoughts on how to make coffee (because I hate the stuff)
Laughable
Eh, not really. We sold him a dream. We outlined how we'd win a flag and what role he'd play. We used players that left us high and dry within two years of the sell.

He's stuck it out without complaint.

We sold him a premiership dream with Daniher, Saad and Fantasia. Within 2 years all three were gone.

Disagree sorry.

There are 18 clubs who are selling premiership dreams to prospective players, Shiel was paid circa 850k - 900k a year for his part + the capital we gave up for him.

No one on here thinks for a moment Shiel gave us what we paid for. Not a single year he played for us was better than what he had delivered for GWS.

Works both ways, we frankly both let each other down.

Yeah, Melbourne - Collingwood or Carlton would be the three that make sense to me. Shiel might make a good combo with Daicos. Or Cripps and Walsh or Trac and Oliver…. If cheap.
Dogs are the most obvious for me.

Who cares. Could have picked the Blues. Players are often bad judges. Clubs job is to sell it like a used car salesman. Mangers job is to advise. Maybe his manager sold him a lemon.
Time to move on if he wants to. Hope he picks someone who can play finals. His time with us has been crushed by injury.
As good as he still is we need to be looking at the next generation.

I was waiting for you to pop in your Shiel bashing head in. The last month must have been hell for you, watching your least favourite player on our list be one of our best performed players.

We can dismiss your thoughts on Shiel as easily as my thoughts on how to make coffee (because I hate the stuff)

Eh, not really. We sold him a dream. We outlined how we'd win a flag and what role he'd play. We used players that left us high and dry within two years of the sell.

He's stuck it out without complaint.
I haven't watched a lot of it. Pretty sure it's been the same old Shiel that swans about disinterested in being a part of our defensive structure. Waiting on somebody else to do the work. Maybe they sold him a lemon there too?

I haven't watched a lot of it. Pretty sure it's been the same old Shiel that swans about disinterested in being a part of our defensive structure. Waiting on somebody else to do the work. Maybe they sold him a lemon there too?
No, you want it to be that. If you actually watched you'd see he's been close to our best player since coming in.

But you'd find some excuse as to why that wouldn't be the case

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back