AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I just assumed with everyone saying he’s gone.

Seems a no brainer keep to me. He’s our strongest midfielder over the ball and can actually handle physical pressure. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him play a few more seasons either.

If he wants out, I think we just trade him. We don’t owe him anything per se, but we did sell him a bit of a lemon.

If we could get, say, 35 for Shiel and 45 - let him go and wish him the best

Very simple, really. He’s definitely in our best 22 but we need to get games into Tsatas and Hobbs. Trade.

This little period in the shop window has been good on that front.
Would be so much more tolerable if the two players you mentioned were actually showing signs of becoming AFL quality players and practically forcing Shiel into the background. I really had high hopes that our understudy midfielders would be ready to fly by the end of this season but they remain underwhelmingly VFL stars only.

Would be so much more tolerable if the two players you mentioned were actually showing signs of becoming AFL quality players and practically forcing Shiel into the background. I really had high hopes that our understudy midfielders would be ready to fly by the end of this season but they remain underwhelmingly VFL stars only.

Both are pretty young for inside midfield roles, you get the odd guy like Oliver or Cripps that can do it really early, but most blokes don't have the physical maturity until a few years in to the system. Hobbs isn't yet 21 and Tsatas isn't year 20.

Caldwell and Durham both really stepped up this season at 22 turning 23 after showing signs last year.

Shiel is in fantastic physical shape ATM and I wouldn't expect Tsatas or Hobbs to be able to easily outmuscle him yet. IMO Hobbs would be one we're eyeing off to have a big preseason and starting to get to the strength level needed to play inside minutes at AFL level.

I’d keep him another year if he wants to stay. Hopefully Hobbs and Tsatas come good next season but if not better position to make moves.

As silly as it sounds two silly losses where we should have held on and we’re not far off top 4. Plus take into account the improvement next season from Caddy and possibly Reid. I don’t think we should sell the farm yet as others have suggested

I’d keep him another year if he wants to stay. Hopefully Hobbs and Tsatas come good next season but if not better position to make moves.

As silly as it sounds two silly losses where we should have held on and we’re not far off top 4. Plus take into account the improvement next season from Caddy and possibly Reid. I don’t think we should sell the farm yet as others have suggested

The silver lining of us choking games is that a top 4 position would have been a gross misrepresentation of the quality of our team

He's contracted, i think if he wants an extension beyond next year he just needs to be told that at his age it will be done on a year by year thing now. No reason he cant do a Boak and play another 3 or 4 on 1 year deals. If he has a club offering that multi year deal now guaranteed then we definitely let him go and wish him all the best. Is in amazing form and is definitely in the 2nd round pick value in a trade for a contracted player. Especially if the other club is offering a multi year deal. But more than happy to keep him for next year and possibly beyond

Both are pretty young for inside midfield roles, you get the odd guy like Oliver or Cripps that can do it really early, but most blokes don't have the physical maturity until a few years in to the system. Hobbs isn't yet 21 and Tsatas isn't year 20.

Caldwell and Durham both really stepped up this season at 22 turning 23 after showing signs last year.

Shiel is in fantastic physical shape ATM and I wouldn't expect Tsatas or Hobbs to be able to easily outmuscle him yet. IMO Hobbs would be one we're eyeing off to have a big preseason and starting to get to the strength level needed to play inside minutes at AFL level.
I think alot of peoples views of how ready-to-go young guys are has been warped by players like walsh/rowell/daicos/Reid that came in and made a difference from game 1.
I think something those guys had in common was they were taken right at the top of their draft year. Majority of the young guys take time. I would look at tom powell as a good comparison for Hobbs, taken at 13 too and only just started to assert himself this year (but still a bit inconsistent), he is 2 years older.

Very simple, really. He’s definitely in our best 22 but we need to get games into Tsatas and Hobbs. Trade.

This little period in the shop window has been good on that front.
Agree perfect audition over the past few weeks to raise his trade value. He is surplus to needs, was useful to chop out Durham and Caldwell at the back end of the season

I think at least one of them should depend on if we’re keeping Shiel or not. With Hobbs, if he sits in the VFL next year, does he lose a bit more trade value by next offseason? And he’s then out of contract. It’s a tough call - and injuries happen, so a spot will open up at some stage - but it does seem like we have perhaps one too many midfielders at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully he stays on for another year or so and doesn't request a trade. Don't have much high hopes for Hobbs and especially Tsatas to be great next year

They have showed it in the VFL. Obviously yet to show it in the AFL.

Ultimately it’s moot. These guys will either step up or they won’t. Either way they need to be given the chance. They won’t be while Shiel is here. And we’re not winning a flag with this current group, that’s clear. So we move on. Get what we can to assist with additional drafting. Shiel and Stringer are obvious trade bait that will have value for contenders over the next 1-2 years. They’re not going to land first round picks or anything, but we will get something.

As a club we’ve constantly shown an inability to be honest with ourselves about where we’re at and then act accordingly in a dispassionate manner. We are nowhere near a flag. The clear path forward is to trade some older players with some value to get more picks and more games into younger players. Shiel and Stringer are still solid footballers with value. It’s obvious.

He played with repeat efforts and a modicum of composure. I will legitimately be disappointed when he leaves this off-season because it will add another 3 years to our rebuild and he is still a very good player.

But it’s better than keeping him and treading water in mediocrity.

He is not the answer.

I hope he goes to the Dogs or another contender and have the ability to play as an offensive mid. We sold him a lemon, he's done right by us, now let's do right by him.

Was doing so well for 3 quarters but was nowhere to be seen in the 3rd quarter when the game was on the line. Getting out bodied by Parker in the middle which lead to a goal wasn’t ideal in that quarter wasn’t ideal either.

Safe to say though his defensive pressure and kicking have improved a lot from where it was last year

He played with repeat efforts and a modicum of composure. I will legitimately be disappointed when he leaves this off-season because it will add another 3 years to our rebuild and he is still a very good player.

But it’s better than keeping him and treading water in mediocrity.

He is not the answer.
I hope they do add 3 years to the rebuild. 11 years gives us more time to get our shit together.

I hope they do add 3 years to the rebuild. 11 years gives us more time to get our shit together.
Bring it on. I’m resigned to the idea of having this extraordinary release of pent-up frustration and dismay in 2037 when we finally win that elusive premier… final…

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back