AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - Sticking around for 2025 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I certainly agree we need his experience as we're so young... but pick 13 for him would be ridiculous overs. He played 12 games this year and was sub / subbed in three of them.

I'd take that and run.
Not sure I would bother. It is a nothing pick in this years draft and we do not need to dump his salary because he is gone after next year. If he wants out then so be it . I agree we are not getting pick 13 .

Have heard a few people today rebut the jokes about Shiel being "washed up" according to Saints fans by denouncing how enormous his first 10 weeks were this year.

Phil Davis, Dwyane Russell, a couple of callers on SEN (don't hate me please) all saying he was enormous. I think it goes without saying that IF he stays fit, he absolutely takes that Saint Kilda midfield to the next level.

He get injured a lot for such a physical specimen.

Just doesn't do enough consistently for mine. Goes missing too much.
I don't get the he's broken argument. he played 19/22 games in 2022, 7 games in 2021 whilst 15/17 in 2020 COVID year. 20+ games for the previous 4 years before that and some scintillating footy to boot.

I don't get the he's broken argument. he played 19/22 games in 2022, 7 games in 2021 whilst 15/17 in 2020 COVID year. 20+ games for the previous 4 years before that and some scintillating footy to boot.
Well there you go. I'm wrong on that account.

Maybe it is preseasons where he is injured?

He get injured a lot for such a physical specimen.

Just doesn't do enough consistently for mine. Goes missing too much.

He had a meniscus issue in 2021 and opted to repair it properly instead of just cutting it out and getting back to playing ASAP, took him out for longer but means he's not carrying that issue with him ongoing.

This year was something entirely separate to that.

Sometimes it's just bad luck, not any lack of physical preparation.

I'd expect Shiel to come back in very, very good shape and have a number of years at AFL level still.

He had a meniscus issue in 2021 and opted to repair it properly instead of just cutting it out and getting back to playing ASAP, took him out for longer but means he's not carrying that issue with him ongoing.

This year was something entirely separate to that.

Sometimes it's just bad luck, not any lack of physical preparation.

I'd expect Shiel to come back in very, very good shape and have a number of years at AFL level still.
All good owen, Yoda set me straight!!

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 21.15.04.png

6 years, until at least 2024.

Posts at the start of this thread suggest 5m over 6 years, which would've been 833k per year.

If it's longer than that because he triggered an extension or they extended him as part of restructuring his money or something then it wasn't reported anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh look, the president of the "I hate Dylan Shiel club" is back

Poster on Blitz that’s at the B&F is saying that Shiel isn’t there tonight.

Anyone seen pics or footage of him there?
not sure - can you share a photo of the poster on blitz so I can check if he is here?

Nah Shiel's not there.

They just did the milestone recognition for 50, 100, 150, 200 games. Shiel hit 200 in round 1 and wasn't even read out, Merrett got his 200 though (and Caldwell got recognition for 50 which is also half at another club).

Sarah was about to read stuff out and bobbed down to talk to someone out of shot, next thing she's crossing something off her running sheet.

He's gotta be goneski.

Nah Shiel's not there.

They just did the milestone recognition for 50, 100, 150, 200 games. Shiel hit 200 in round 1 and wasn't even read out, Merrett got his 200 though (and Caldwell got recognition for 50 which is also half at another club).

Sarah was about to read stuff out and bobbed down to talk to someone out of shot, next thing she's crossing something off her running sheet.

He's gotta be goneski.
Yep looks like the seas have sorted and shiel is goneski
Au voir Dylan

los angeles lakers smile GIF
He’s in the car park selling his dodgy shoes.

Nah Shiel's not there.

He's gotta be goneski.

Seems rough. Should have still been recognised.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - Sticking around for 2025 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back