Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

Again if he's at Marvel where there is no wind, he'll have a ping and he constantly does. He kicked almost goal of the year against GC.

It's hard to judge the breeze in Hobart. Larkey had trouble and PC kicked 3.4.

Powell had to get in a little closer to have a good look at it. It's not as easy as it looks even for skilled players.

It was windy at the game. There was a crosswind at that North-Eastern end, you can see it blow Larkeys shot off course at the last minute (as frustrating as that was.) At the time it was frustrating but now thinking about it maybe he was right to not take the shot.
Leave the thinking to Harry.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

He does this shit week in and week out. Did I say give up on him? If he decides to leave it will be on his own accord…highly doubt North let him slide without matching the offer.

If he’s hitting Larkey up on a lead theres no need to pull out of anything.

Send him to the forward line coaches for two weeks while we can. Get him to walk around in the forwards skins for a bit.
Look, I'll have to watch the game again to see this particular play, but are you asking him to take on the 2 wet toast player's directly and hit larkey on the tit or are you asking LDU stop his kicking motion, regather, then kick across his body/turn inboard and hit Larkey on the tit?

Looks like he sees the traffic, cuts inboard, dismisses Larkeys lead as too hard or doesn't see it, old mate loses footing halfway through LDUs kicking action, LDU goes through with kick.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He could've done the last minute drop the ball and recollect thing that some players do when they change their minds.

He bears a fair bit of weight on his shoulders for this team's fortunes atm, but to be honest doesn't seem the type to really relish and get his teeth into the task of lifting the team single handedly. In scientific terms, he doesn't have that dawg in him. Yet. 3 goals against the Tiggers were great, but he reverted right back to his norm in the next game, when his confidence should've been sky high.

By the same token, it could be that same shyness/willingness to leave the limelight to others that means he's more likely to stay with us than move to a bigger club.

Just wish he could take on enough nastiness to want to forego his teammates' leads and trust himself. How many other midfielders in the league get multiple opportunities to shoot at goal per game whilst streaming inside 50? Warner?

He's solid gold and still doesn't know it, in his seventh season

Maybe. Maybe he gets a shit bounce, loses possession, and then all in Sunbury are wanting him hung, drawn, and quartered fir not pulling the trigger...

LDU is coming along as a leader. He was far and away our best midfielder in the last quarter when everything was falling apart.

Agree with him pulling the trigger from 50 odd. I'm screaming about it most weeks as he has ample opportunity most weeks also.

Look, I'll have to watch the game again to see this particular play, but are you asking him to take on the 2 wet toast player's directly and hit larkey on the tit or are you asking LDU stop his kicking motion, regather, then kick across his body/turn inboard and hit Larkey on the tit?

Looks like he sees the traffic, cuts inboard, dismisses Larkeys lead as too hard or doesn't see it, old mate loses footing halfway through LDUs kicking action, LDU goes through with kick.

I’m not having a crack…you’re going to have to watch it again.
LDU is at the back waiting for harry to complete his 1–2 with Bailey. He has his Wet Toast beak defeated and he knows it. He takes a quick look inside 50 before he nukes it.
Maybe he doesn’t think he can hit it. If that’s the case…bring in Luke Parker and give the number 2 pick for Petracca.
He’s better than that. He has to be better than that. I’d argue if you can’t hit that kick to Larkey AFL isn’t your sport.
Luke Ball hits that kick!

Again if he's at Marvel where there is no wind, he'll have a ping and he constantly does. He kicked almost goal of the year against GC.

It's hard to judge the breeze in Hobart. Larkey had trouble and PC kicked 3.4.

Powell had to get in a little closer to have a good look at it. It's not as easy as it looks even for skilled players.
West Coast had no trouble in Hobart, as most of their goals were from point blank ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd reckon that we would first need to get consistently large crowds at Marvel, so that the AFL realises it could make more money fixturing some of our games at the MCG

When we entrentch ourselves in the top 4 we will.

Remember the 90s? we had a fanbase of 22k and we filled the mcg regularly.

Let's just focus on getting the team performing and not be bulldog like who waste talents.

we had a fanbase of 22k and we filled the mcg regularly.

I mean this just is not true.

There is a single home and away game from the 90s at the MCG that cracked 60k that was not against one of the big 4 Melbourne clubs.

There are only two that cracked 50k and that includes the above.

So in terms of:

Filled = at or near capacity

and

Regularly = on a consistent basis

Your statement is completely inaccurate.

In finals we did ok, with an average MCG crowd of around 70k. I mean it still isn't filled but it is ok.

Let's just focus on getting the team performing and not be bulldog like who waste talents.

I hated 2016 but we are in zero position to cast any shade on a team that has made 2 grand finals in the last 8 years and has silverware to show for it.

There is legitimately no ground to stand on there. None.

I mean this just is not true.

There is a single home and away game from the 90s at the MCG that cracked 60k that was not against one of the big 4 Melbourne clubs.

There are only two that cracked 50k and that includes the above.

So in terms of:

Filled = at or near capacity

and

Regularly = on a consistent basis

Your statement is completely inaccurate.

In finals we did ok, with an average MCG crowd of around 70k. I mean it still isn't filled but it is ok.

I hated 2016 but we are in zero position to cast any shade on a team that has made 2 grand finals in the last 8 years and has silverware to show for it.

There is legitimately no ground to stand on there. None.

So what would you like? Carrying on like in the 2000s and the 2010s, somewhere middle of the table?

**** the crowds, they don't win us games, good list management do.

If we ain't got a team that may win a flag then let's not worry about anything else.

Interesting on Harry's World, Sheez said he'd be doing pre season work with LDU in Rye. Specifically on first/ second step power. They must be pretty close and will no doubt be closer next season. Sheez said he was very confident LDU would be staying.
LDU has been doing it for a couple of seasons now, iirc. I'm hoping the whole midfield group gets down there, trains hard, and enjoy a few Sherbets together.

When we entrentch ourselves in the top 4 we will.

Remember the 90s? we had a fanbase of 22k and we filled the mcg regularly.

I remember the 90s. We didn’t “regularly” fill the MCG. My memory is regular crowds against big opposition on a Friday night would be around 50,000, more on a very special occasion like the 125th anniversary v Pies or the big final round in 1998, but not full unless it was a very large final. I also unfortunately remember Mothers Day in the rain against Fremantle bringing about 13,000.

I remember the 90s. We didn’t “regularly” fill the MCG. My memory is regular crowds against big opposition on a Friday night would be around 50,000, more on a very special occasion like the 125th anniversary v Pies or the big final round in 1998, but not full unless it was a very large final. I also unfortunately remember Mothers Day in the rain against Fremantle bringing about 13,000.
We would probably bring more to the MCG nowadays when we become a decent team.

The Dees game this year wasn't huge in attendance but the North faithful didn't let that get in the way. They were loud. Chuck in another 30k and you'll get an atmosphere like the SF vs. Geelong.

I am excited to see how we go against Carlton next year on GF. Knowing they rely so heavily on midfield dominance, they would be nervous after our mids go to another level. We haven't scratched the surface of our potential. They are at their peak and dropping. It will be a contest and a half with a packed house of royal blue and white.

We would probably bring more to the MCG nowadays when we become a decent team.

The Dees game this year wasn't huge in attendance but the North faithful didn't let that get in the way. They were loud. Chuck in another 30k and you'll get an atmosphere like the SF vs. Geelong.

I am excited to see how we go against Carlton next year on GF. Knowing they rely so heavily on midfield dominance, they would be nervous after our mids go to another level. We haven't scratched the surface of our potential. They are at their peak and dropping. It will be a contest and a half with a packed house of royal blue and white.
I don't think we have the fan power. Melbourne get the 'G because they're Melbourne. I think that's fair. We're more rusted on than they are but even when we're doing well we struggle to get 25k to a Melbourne game. Member numbers are not to be believed

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

Back