Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess you could compare Trent to the best players of the bottom clubs Nathan Jones Leigh Montanya Marc Murphy Daniel Rich ... Hmm alot of pressure

For 2 players that copped it quite a bit Jackson (Hardwick loved him, fans not so much before he won the B&F) and Tucky (A lot of fans loved him, Hardwick not so much) I think we miss them quite a lot. They were two players who were always at the bottom of the pack, and the last to get up. Both were big bodied and tough midfielders. Now they're gone, there is no-one to take their place. We tried Thomas, but simply isn't good enough. So it's been left to players like Cotchin, who simply isn't big enough or strong enough IMO. And I think that is having a great effect on his game. He doesn't have enough help on the inside.

The other factor is the way in which our team is instructed to play footy. In 2012 we played attacking free flowing footy, spread like crazy from the contest and took the game on. That's when Cotch was playing amazingly well. Now we are playing this slow tempo possession chip it around game and wonder why Cotch has lost some of his flair and is doing all these little dinky kicks everywhere. Change of gameplan changed the way Cotch plays for the worse imo

One thing I think we have agreed on in here is that these guys are way way down on confidence.
It's a massive issue because If it isn't rectified this season will get awfully ugly.

Absolutely - have a look at Cotchin's forlorn face after the Geelong game. Players will obviously be disappointed after a loss but he looked very strained.

I feel for Trent and thats why I sometimes see red when i read people slagging him off on here. Trent is playing to the coaches instructions, to maintain possession on that I have no doubt. He gets little protection, slammed at every contest but still keeps his head high and runs himself into the ground in every game, yet he cops it.

Bottom line, till Hardwick wakes up and says to trent to attack the game instead of trying to save it we will keep getting what we are getting.

The other factor is the way in which our team is instructed to play footy. In 2012 we played attacking free flowing footy, spread like crazy from the contest and took the game on. That's when Cotch was playing amazingly well. Now we are playing this slow tempo possession chip it around game and wonder why Cotch has lost some of his flair and is doing all these little dinky kicks everywhere. Change of gameplan changed the way Cotch plays for the worse imo

Improves the KPIs

I feel for Trent and thats why I sometimes see red when i read people slagging him off on here. Trent is playing to the coaches instructions, to maintain possession on that I have no doubt. He gets little protection, slammed at every contest but still keeps his head high and runs himself into the ground in every game, yet he cops it.

Bottom line, till Hardwick wakes up and says to trent to attack the game instead of trying to save it we will keep getting what we are getting.
Lol you are going to cop it (without lube) from a couple of posters.

I think its a team rule to get it to Cotch/Dusty whenever possible, and as per usual we take it to the degree of it becoming plain stupid half the time with them being in a worse position than the person that gave it to them.

The opp seem to have worked out his give/get and they swamp him when he gets it back.
Its our lack of long option (get out clause) that forces this slow movement and general screwing around with the ball (padding stats) that gets us into trouble and allows the opp to push back in numbers.

Apart from that I think Cotch is doing fine, he's always giving his all, its the gameplan thats the problem imo.

I still think cotch is suffering because he has a tagger on him like a glove, not allowing any free air or space and having no protection. This makes him feel he has to get rid of the ball quick, and which doesn't allowing him to look further afield for better options. Its why he probly does the give and go play to separate his opponent. He needs to have the mindset of just don't worry about the tagger and look for the best option, and use your step and speed. If you get caught don't worry about.

cant believe whats happened to Trent, he just a shadow of his former self. hes slow (was never super quick) also used kick longer and not miss as many targets by hand or foot. He a completely inferior player.
This bloke had so much more skill than fyfe but is nowhere near him now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expecting a massive game from the captain. If he is matched up on Swan he will obviously not be tagged. 30 possessions.....constructive and effective.

I still think cotch is suffering because he has a tagger on him like a glove, not allowing any free air or space and having no protection. This makes him feel he has to get rid of the ball quick, and which doesn't allowing him to look further afield for better options. Its why he probly does the give and go play to separate his opponent. He needs to have the mindset of just don't worry about the tagger and look for the best option, and use your step and speed. If you get caught don't worry about.
While I agree with the tagging bit, the issue i have is even when in space or kicking from a non-contested piece of play, like a mark, Trent can't reliably hit a target and doesn't seem to have any kicking penetration. Also, I think his decision making is looking bad at times as he is tempted to go for options that the old Trent Cotchin could quite easily execute but the current one doesn't seem to have the skill to execute. Starts to 2nd guess what he can actually pull off and reverts back to 'safe' sideways and/or short options.

My point, the tagging and lack of protection, while a factor, is too easy a get out excuse for the club's premium player. Trent is not nearly damaging enough for his portion of our salary cap at his current output. I hope he can turn it around, but I fear is his body is playing a role in the decline which will be harder to fix than a confidence issue.

On another note, I think he is doing a fine job as captain and is a good and logical choice - although his disposal issues would be hurting his pride and acceptance from the outside (from the likes of us) of him in the role. Obviously i realize this is not universally accepted.

While I agree with the tagging bit, the issue i have is even when in space or kicking from a non-contested piece of play, like a mark, Trent can't reliably hit a target and doesn't seem to have any kicking penetration. Also, I think his decision making is looking bad at times as he is tempted to go for options that the old Trent Cotchin could quite easily execute but the current one doesn't seem to have the skill to execute. Starts to 2nd guess what he can actually pull off and reverts back to 'safe' sideways and/or short options.

This is the main problem I have, when under little or no pressure he's making basic skill errors. Against norf there were a few short passes that were dropping half a yard short of their target, he sold team mates into trouble with handpasses aswell. The body can't take it excuse was used after that freo game a few years ago, I don't buy that. He's mentally shot, he has bucketloads of skill, it's all in his head.

He kicks and handballs to space where players should be which many great players do . Very very rarely misses Jack Reiwoldt on the lead because Reiwoldt actually leads to the right space . Alternatively we have dumb footballers who lead into stupid spots or give half leads . We also have numerous dumb players who call for a handball when they are about to get smashed .

Last edited:
Definitely a psych thing and this is why it was I believe a big mistake to give him captaincy. You could be the best player in the comp but that does not automatically make you a leader. He is a great person which comes across as a love to love him kind of guy but he needed to mature as the leader of Rfc not Geelong not the doggies not St kilda. I feel for Trent cause he is a gun but is under immense pressure. Rfc is a big club with rich history but poor results for a long time now and I dare say there's no captain in the comp that would have to deal with what Trent has had to. As said put him in an.environment where he just plays footy and you will see how genuinely good he is.

My point, the tagging and lack of protection, while a factor, is too easy a get out excuse for the club's premium player. Trent is not nearly damaging enough for his portion of our salary cap at his current output. I hope he can turn it around, but I fear is his body is playing a role in the decline which will be harder to fix than a confidence issue.

On another note, I think he is doing a fine job as captain and is a good and logical choice - although his disposal issues would be hurting his pride and acceptance from the outside (from the likes of us) of him in the role. Obviously i realize this is not universally accepted.
Agree with that too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back