A 2007 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice work, although doesn't North have pick 64?

You have drafted small/medium defenders with Norths 2rd and 3rd picks. We have an overabundance of these already. We need KPP's.

If Kangars is there at Pick 32, we would be mad not to take him.:thumbsu:

Gourdis and Kangars would be a great draft for us.

Normington isn't so much a small defender, he's more of a centreman. I only put down the Half Back Flanks as a possible position because a side mya look to use him as a link man from there one day with his good skills, the Burgoyne or McLeod role.

Browne and Normington would each bring good skills to North and I think that's an area you'll look to address closely.

Totally agree at pick 18 we should get a
key back: Collier Pears Gaertner or
key forward: Grant Gourdis Simpson

At 51
TOM ROCKLIFF

I did consider a tall defender there, but I think that Richmond have a lot of faith in McGuane, Thusrfield and Polak as key defenders for the future. Also, a Collier or Pears is of a very similar mould to McGuane.

I thought Gaertner was perhaps a little too much of a project and the Tigers will look for a safer option.

With Graham, Simmonds and Pattison Richmond's only rucks, and with Simmonds starting to get older, I thought the ruck issue also needed addressing.

Good work GD.

Funny how you have Essendon first 2 picks as SA boys and i have them as WA boys.

Essendon has lost the the love for the Vics :D

Good logic used and although everyone will have their own preferences, your rational is strong.

Well Done :thumbsu:

PS, You don't worry at all about the PA go home to club factor?

I was quite amazed I ended up having Essendon taking 2 South Australians, given that I think I only had 4 going.

Greenwood and Ebert seem like very level headed kids, and I don't think the Port Adelaide go hom factor would be too strong.

And yes, it looks like we'll pass up the Vics again.

Imo, swap Gourdis with Grant for the Demons. And if we got Morton, Gourdis and Pears then i'd be over the moon. But heck if we still got Morton, Grant and Pears then i'd still be over the moon. Great Effort btw

I prefer Gourdis as well, but I don' think AFL clubs will share that opinion and that's why I went with Grant.

They're very even really, it could just as easily be Gourdis.

David Myers: HBF/Mid 190cm
Robbie Tarrant: FF 196cm
Sam Reid: Mid 185cm
James Wundke: CHB/CHF 196cm
Matt Westhoff: FF/CHF 197cm
Taylor Walker: CHF 192cm(recent reports have him hitting 192)

Good effort mate, I quite like the look of the selections here, my only problem here is that there may be 1 or 2 too many talls. Whilst we have a problem up forward, we recruited Sellar, Tippet and Gill as tall forwards last year and we are in no hurry what so all for another tall defender with Rutten, Basset, Bock, Stevens and now Moran as well. We really need a small crumbing forward, a quick mid and a tough mid and you've only picked up 1-2 midfielders with Myers being more of a HBF.

Myers sounds like a great player and cannot complain here. Tarrent I like the sound of, we have a lot of athletic tall forwards, but really lack a bullocking one who has a huge physical presence, especially with Perrie now gone, could offer something a little different.

As for Wundke and Westhoff, I can see us taking one, but not both, we would probably go another small, perhaps in the mold of a small forward, especially since Taylor Walker is next and he's a gun tall forward prospect.

David Myers: HBF/Mid 190cm
Robbie Tarrant: FF 196cm
Sam Reid: Mid 185cm
James Wundke: CHB/CHF 196cm
Matt Westhoff: FF/CHF 197cm
Taylor Walker: CHF 192cm(recent reports have him hitting 192)

Good effort mate, I quite like the look of the selections here, my only problem here is that there may be 1 or 2 too many talls. Whilst we have a problem up forward, we recruited Sellar, Tippet and Gill as tall forwards last year and we are in no hurry what so all for another tall defender with Rutten, Basset, Bock, Stevens and now Moran as well. We really need a small crumbing forward, a quick mid and a tough mid and you've only picked up 1-2 midfielders with Myers being more of a HBF.

Myers sounds like a great player and cannot complain here. Tarrent I like the sound of, we have a lot of athletic tall forwards, but really lack a bullocking one who has a huge physical presence, especially with Perrie now gone, could offer something a little different.

As for Wundke and Westhoff, I can see us taking one, but not both, we would probably go another small, perhaps in the mold of a small forward, especially since Taylor Walker is next and he's a gun tall forward prospect.

You've got a valid point and, looking at it now, you could slide Petrenko in over Westhoff.

I just feel as though you guys would've seen the succes of Justin at Port, and taken his virtual clone in Matthew.

I think you will look for a tall defender as the ages of Stevens, Bock and Rutten are all similar in age and Wundke will provide a progression.

Taylor Walker's the interesting one of the bunch. He could well end up the being a tall forward, but he could end almost like a Brad Fisher-like player. I think he may thrive as a third tall.

I think you will look for a tall defender as the ages of Stevens, Bock and Rutten are all similar in age and Wundke will provide a progression.
I agree a bit of a progression is required, but we just recruit Brad Moran for that and so whilst a young defender could be a good idea, it is not as urgent as a few other areas.

I agree a bit of a progression is required, but we just recruit Brad Moran for that and so whilst a young defender could be a good idea, it is not as urgent as a few other areas.

With the amount of picks you've got though, you're able to cover a number of areas. But it's just a possibility.

It'll be interesting to see if Brad Moran makes a tall defender, I haven't given up on him becoming a ruckman.

With Snoops this is easily one of the most well examined mock drafts. From a Geelong perspective it was also nice to see you not following the masses and have us selecting Selwood.

Collier or Pears with our first pick would address our most pressing weakness, that of a dearth of tall defenders. You also had us picking up Dangerfield and Otten who are highly rated by many.

I can also see us picking up a ruckman at some stage in the draft to replace the loss of Steven King.

Well done.

Really good work. Enjoyed the read. Can't agree with a couple but hey ...thats what this is all about. eg cannot see Gourdis going at 15, Tarrant going that early or Simpson going to Pies at #31.

Great effort.
I would be disappointed with Greenwood at 23 as I think we have enough of his type and others have a heap more development but others rate him a lot higher than I.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great effort.
I would be disappointed with Greenwood at 23 as I think we have enough of his type and others have a heap more development but others rate him a lot higher than I.

I actually tend to think that we don't have a lot of Greenwood types. I think we need a bit more backline grunt.

We've traded Solomon and delisted Mark Johnson and, on top of that, we've moved Slattery to the midfield and Andrew Welsh to the forward line.

Levi could be the bullocking small defender amongst a group of runner sin Nash, Lovett-Murray, McPhee, McVeigh, Ramanauskas and, possibly, Myers.

In addition to that, Levi's a very good match up for the solid medium forwards like Daniel Motlop, Brad Ebert and Brad Johnson.

But that's what the whole drafting process is about, different people rating people differently.

Remove this Banner Ad

A 2007 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back