A Gaelic Football fan's first impressions of Aussie Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for fun, in the time-honoured tradition of maximising hostility, promoting cosntructive xenophobia and polarising the two sets of supporters as much as possible in advance of the next IR test :D

First impressions of Aussie Rules

Immediately, the whole sleeveless company gives chase, followed in turn by the referee, blowing furiously on his whistle. I couldn’t work out what the whistling was about. I suppose it’s either “leave it alone” or “give it back to me when you catch it”.

When this happens, the rest of the chasing pack throw themselves on top of the unconscious captor in a huge heap and amuse themselves by punching and gouging each other, thus incidentally ensuring that the thing remains imprisoned under the heaving brawl until the referee catches up and whistles the commotion to a stop.

Lol..describes perfectly how ridiculous our umpires must look to the novice Australian rules football fan.

While this hullabaloo takes place on the field, a huge assemblage of people, many with alarming dental misalignments, screams encouragement and abuse in equal measure from the stands, although whether they are on the side of the hapless creature, its hunters or the referee is unclear.

Clearly a Collingwood game

Some people have wondered if this was an original work or copied or adapted from another piece. I can assure you all that it is totally origanal and first posted in 2002. Hardyarse is a frequent poster on GAA websites famed for his humour and putdowns. We only wish he would post a lot more

BTW happy to hear that Marty Clarke is returning to Collingwood - best of luck to him

Remove this Banner Ad

A Gaelic Football fan's first impressions of Aussie Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back