A-League Grand Final: Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I LoLed when the fox expert compared Rugby league players losing balance after a ankle tap compared to the minimal contact on Berisha in the final.

Still think a penalty was wrong and I'm picking a video ref will be in play next year.

Brenton Speed? He's a dropkick. The other guy made some good points. The rugby guys were getting much more contact on those trips plus they have momentum throwing them down.

If video refs come in, they shouldn't do it for loads of decisions. It should be each team has one video challenge. If you use it in the 5th minute and something more contentious pops up in the 90th minute, then tough luck.

Brenton Speed? He's a dropkick. The other guy made some good points. The rugby guys were getting much more contact on those trips plus they have momentum throwing them down.

Yes, it made him look pretty stupid.

If video refs come in, they shouldn't do it for loads of decisions. It should be each team has one video challenge. If you use it in the 5th minute and something more contentious pops up in the 90th minute, then tough luck.

Yep. Only the contentious ones. If they challenge and win though, I think they should keep that challenge for later too.

The camera from the right hand side of the goals (Vuckoic's right) shows there was no contact. The one from the left hand side makes it look like Miller has made contact but Miller was not close enough. You can clearly see Millers foot is in between Berisha's legs.

Even if there was contact, it would have been minimal at best and not enough to send Berisha falling down. He didn't fall down "when" Miller made contact, it was after he kicked the air. Then mid fall, he has realised that he has completely missed, and seen Millers made a tackle and dived.

It's a yellow card for diving any day of the week except for the Grand Final. It's unfortunate that he was also offside too but what can you do?

No contact but even if there was it wasn't enough to send Berisha down? You straddling that line now?

The contact did NOT send Berisha down. It may have caused him to stand on the ball with his plant foot though, which in turn put him off balance, made the ball bobble and caused him to miss his strike. He may have just had an incompetent moment, choked and had an air swing, but considering the ball had been stepped on with the plant foot on the previous step and moved from where he had played it, there's a pretty good chance that caused the air swing, don't you think.

As for questioning the playing of rugby league footage, it was more about the fact that even slight contact can affect somebody if it is in the right place at the right time. It was used to counter the contention that Berisha dived.

I reckon the underdogs, the sentimental favourites lost a GF in dramatic fashion, and it can only be explained away through cheating.

TODN, I can't believe you are saying its a penalty.. You must be completely blind. There is absolutely no contact and what makes him off balance is stepping on the ****ing ball.

Also.. Miller never admitted there was contact, he never said there wasn't. Why would you say that him saying there wasn't means there was? What a joke.

Beyond belief.. as is Brenton Speed. That guy just makes Joffa look like a PHD candidate.

TODN, I can't believe you are saying its a penalty.. You must be completely blind. There is absolutely no contact and what makes him off balance is stepping on the ****ing ball.

The Fox replay clearly shows there was contact, Berisha’s leg is coming down, there is contact form behind and his leg suddenly flicks sideways.

Comprehension fail. This is your frustration talking. I never said it was a penalty. In fact, I said if it was a penalty according to the rules, it was soft. All I have said is that there was probably contact, and that the contact upset Berisha's balance and possibly his strike on the ball. I couldn't offer more concessions if I tried. People are saying that there was NO contact and that Berisha took a dive and he and the ref are cheats. Now you tell me which side of the argument is going to extremes?

There looked to be minor contact, Berisha's intended plant foot stood on the ball and this affected his strike. You have acknowledged he stood on the ball now so that is a positive. I suppose at least you have to concede that he loss of balance might have contributed to him going down and he didn't dive. That's a start.

Also.. Miller never admitted there was contact, he never said there wasn't. Why would you say that him saying there wasn't means there was? What a joke.
You saw the quote. Miller said 'even if there was contact, it wasn't enough to send him down'. I said Miller concedes there could have been contact by saying that. How can you draw any other conclusion? If there was no contact, you say that and nothing else. You don't paint a scenario on the possibility of minor contact.

If it's a penalty then I expect a plethora of them in every game next season.

You'd probably see them too. It was a crude attempt to tackle and it was through sheer dumb luck that he didn't make substantial contact to remove all doubt. Sliding in to tackle from behind after letting your opponent goal side in the box .... not a lot of future in it. He had no choice in the situation he was in, but he was daring the ref to call it.

As for the offside call. It's no surprise. Our linesman are for the majority hopeless when it comes to calling those, and being a Victory fan, I see it on a weekly basis with Archie.
It was a close call with milliseconds in it. If offside, yes it affected the result, but again, the Glory defenders put themselves in that position.

The Fox replay clearly shows there was contact, Berisha’s leg is coming down, there is contact form behind and his leg suddenly flicks sideways.
The Fox replay never shows contact conclusively. The more you look at it, the less it looks like there is contact and his foot never deviated from any contact if there was any. He simply stepped on the ball and had an air swing of his own accord.

You saw the quote. Miller said 'even if there was contact, it wasn't enough to send him down'. I said Miller concedes there could have been contact by saying that. How can you draw any other conclusion? If there was no contact, you say that and nothing else. You don't paint a scenario on the possibility of minor contact.

/facepalm...

With logic like that, why should I even bother trying to convince you. Blind leading the blind.

The Fox replay never shows contact conclusively. The more you look at it, the less it looks like there is contact and his foot never deviated from any contact if there was any. He simply stepped on the ball and had an air swing of his own accord.

Mate come off it Berisha's leg doesn't just suddenly fly out like that for no reason. Watch his leg before it lands on the ball, it is obvious there was contact.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...rth-glory-robbed/story-e6frf4gl-1226336223619

No contact but even if there was it wasn't enough to send Berisha down? You straddling that line now?

The contact did NOT send Berisha down. It may have caused him to stand on the ball with his plant foot though, which in turn put him off balance, made the ball bobble and caused him to miss his strike. He may have just had an incompetent moment, choked and had an air swing, but considering the ball had been stepped on with the plant foot on the previous step and moved from where he had played it, there's a pretty good chance that caused the air swing, don't you think.

As for questioning the playing of rugby league footage, it was more about the fact that even slight contact can affect somebody if it is in the right place at the right time. It was used to counter the contention that Berisha dived.

I reckon the underdogs, the sentimental favourites lost a GF in dramatic fashion, and it can only be explained away through cheating.

As the other guy in the interview with Brenton "Sped" said, there must be 10 penalties given every game now because slight contact that may have made the attacker fall down affected his scoring opportunity. THERE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE SOME CONTACT IN THE BOX. IT IS INEVITABLE. The contact (If there was any it was minimal - I am not toeing the line, I still believe there wasn't any.) did not have enough force to send Berisha down in the way he went. The contact was not even strong enough to make Berisha react in the way he did when he fell mid fall. It would not have hurt him in the slightest (and it clearly didn't as he got right up celebrating).

In the rugby footage, there was much more contact made. It was much more forceful. The player is running at full pace or close to it. The slightest clip would send him over in conjunction with the momentum the player has gained. Berisha was not running at a pace that would send him over. There was no momentum forcing the fall. "Speds" argument is invalid and not viable at all in this circumstance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seen all the footage, still think it's a dud call from the ref. You can look at all of the bio-mechanics of it and all that shit but I see Berisha mis-hit his shot, fall over with no contact and get rewarded for it.

Berishatheprick.png

Berisha didn't even step on the ball. I would define stepping on the ball as when the sole of your shoe presses down on top of the ball and you lose your footing. The sole under his big toe hits the ball but he still brings it down and lands on the ground and doesn't lose his footing then either. Plus the part that some people believe is contact is well after Berisha "stepping on the ball".

It doesn't fly out for no reason, he moves it because he was sidestepping the imminent challenge....................................... There is no contact.

Ha, you're that biased against Brisbane that it wouldn't matter if Miller had pulled out a gun and shot his knee cap, you'd still say he dived :) Time to move on now...Great effort to win two in a row, it could be our last for a while with Ang on his way, so I'll enjoy this one :thumbs: well done Ang, Well done Brissie :thumbs: :D

Ha, you're that biased against Brisbane that it wouldn't matter if Miller had pulled out a gun and shot his knee cap, you'd still say he dived :) Time to move on now...Great effort to win two in a row, it could be our last for a while with Ang on his way, so I'll enjoy this one :thumbs: well done Ang, Well done Brissie :thumbs: :D
You should be embarrassed for your team.

Berisha didn't even step on the ball. I would define stepping on the ball as when the sole of your shoe presses down on top of the ball and you lose your footing. The sole under his big toe hits the ball but he still brings it down and lands on the ground and doesn't lose his footing then either.

He steps on the ball, his boot slides off the ball and lands on the ground. He doesn't lose his footing because of it but he gets somewhat crossed up and the ball bobbles right after his striking leg has gone back. He simply could not adjust to cater for the bobbling ball and lost balanced while trying to do so.

Berishastepsonball.jpg

Plus the part that some people believe is contact is well after Berisha "stepping on the ball".

The part people believe immediately preceding the stepping on the ball, all while the leg was in the air.

Berishacontactmade.jpg

Berishacontact2.jpg

Berishacontact3.jpg

In the photo below, Berisha's left leg is almost in line with his right. He has himself hopelessly crossed over. I have seen it said that he moved his own leg to avoid the tackle but to do this he would have to waggle that leg in mid air as it starts off straight, all the while preparing his right leg to go back in a perfect striking motion. IMO that just doesn't seem feasible.

Berishaleftlegcrossedover.jpg

Now you can say it is not conclusive, but I am not sure how anybody can say that there was clearly no contact or that Berisha blatantly took a dive. There is plenty of room to believe otherwise.

You guys are better off looking at the offside potential or questioning the softness of the penalty. Contact looks possible, even probable and taking a dive for no reason at all is off the table IMO.

Back from Brisbane. Gutted but so proud of everyone from the players to the fans. We showed why we're still the best fans in the league, the whole weekend was fantastic (the game an exception of course). Danny Vukovic getting 'Let's go ****ing mental' chant going and then sculling a pint on the stage at the pub after the game was a highlight, as was Claxton St before the game.

It's probably all been said about the penalty, fitting way to end a horror season for the FFA I guess.

Nice to see people who never post in here come in to stick the boot in, typical bigfooty big men. This includes a moderator from Brisbane who should know better. Seriously, sort your shit out.

Keep the faith Glory fans, we'll be back. We were always shafted by the powers that be in the NSL too :thumbsu:

Back from Brisbane. Gutted but so proud of everyone from the players to the fans. We showed why we're still the best fans in the league, the whole weekend was fantastic (the game an exception of course). Danny Vukovic getting 'Let's go ****ing mental' chant going and then sculling a pint on the stage at the pub after the game was a highlight, as was Claxton St before the game.

It's probably all been said about the penalty, fitting way to end a horror season for the FFA I guess.

Nice to see people who never post in here come in to stick the boot in, typical bigfooty big men. This includes a moderator from Brisbane who should know better. Seriously, sort your shit out.

Keep the faith Glory fans, we'll be back. We were always shafted by the powers that be in the NSL too :thumbsu:

Glory fans were great and really added to the occasion. Caxton street was brilliant with the Glory fans all at Hotel LA singing non stop for hours. I was up in the barracks having a meal with my daughter and mates when the Orange army walked through and the noise put tingles up the spine. Really really great day all round. The whole street was full of people, and it certainly is one of the best ways to walk to a big game down Caxton. I've never been to a State of Origin match but apparently it is similar. Great day.

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League Grand Final: Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back