A-League Grand Final: Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

He steps on the ball, his boot slides off the ball and lands on the ground. He doesn't lose his footing because of it but he gets somewhat crossed up and the ball bobbles right after his striking leg has gone back. He simply could not adjust to cater for the bobbling ball and lost balanced while trying to do so.
So basically you are saying that he fell over before Miller even "hit" him, which makes it worse because he was already falling thus any contact would not result in him falling.

At the 0.42 mark of that video, it looks like Miller has hit the back of his foot knocking it with force, but that is deceptive. His left leg is moving at the same speed as Miller's tackling leg, therefore it could not possibly have made the contact. Berisha's leg would not have been able to been kicked that direction and then swing back in the same direction. It's just Berisha's left leg moving forward.

At the 1.08 mark aswell, you see Miller's tackling foot flick up to tackle. It completely misses Berisha, and he only gets air.

It doesn't fly out for no reason, he moves it because he was sidestepping the imminent challenge....................................... There is no contact.

LOL, it is physically impossible to do what you are saying without him twisting the top of his leg, which he does not.

Watch the below video; it is absolutely conclusive he was kicked in the back of the leg. No amount of histrionics con deny it.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...frf423-1226336599206?sectionvertical=football

LOL, it is physically impossible to do what you are saying without him twisting the top of his leg, which he does not.

Watch the below video; it is absolutely conclusive he was kicked in the back of the leg. No amount of histrionics con deny it.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...frf423-1226336599206?sectionvertical=football
What? How is it physically impossible to move your leg sideways? Huh? What? huh? I'm scratching my head on that piece of poor logic and understanding of the human body.

Without twisting the top half of your leg. Please read the post before responding.
I read the post.. hence why I responded. I still don't understand what you are trying to say? I can move my leg like that and not twist the top of my leg.. why can't Berisha?

So basically you are saying that he fell over before Miller even "hit" him, which makes it worse because he was already falling thus any contact would not result in him falling.

Never said it, never implied it, and have no idea how you could have comprehended it based on anything I said.

I'm thinking you are still thinking about contact after he stood on the ball, despite the use of the word 'preceding'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read the post.. hence why I responded. I still don't understand what you are trying to say? I can move my leg like that and not twist the top of my leg.. why can't Berisha?

Took actively try to remove the lower half of your leg from any possible contact, you'd have to use a particular muscle grouping to do so. Remember the leg was in mid air when the lower half of it shot off at that angle. Certainly the most natural movement would have involved full leg movement and most probably a full body movement. All the while you allege he was doing this, he was still in the midst of setting up for a strike. If he had actively decided to avoid any possible contact (bearing in mind, Miller was behind him and Berisha would not have known where the contact might come from), logic suggested he would have aborted the strike and try to control the ball and take further evasive measures. Most strikers in the box with a one on one opportunity and limited time and space, would take the odds to going ahead with the strike knowing that any contact from behind is more likely to go in their favour.

It is possible for Berisha to waggle his left leg in mid air although it travelled fairly far if it was under his own muscle control, suggested that limb had a concentration of control working independently of the rest of his thought process. It is far more logical to suggest that something else propelled it and given we have a camera angle with no visible separation between his leg and Miller's and Miller's leg was headed in the same direction that Berisha's ultimately went, it is reasonable to think there was contact.

We are hardly talking a single bullet theory here.

I think I am now willing to concede it probably wasn't a dive. Looks like definite contact.

Still hate that the result lives and dies on something so innocuous though.

But it wasn't really this innocuous incident that decided the game, it was the ability for Brisbane and Berisha to get into a shooting position to win the game before being fouled. Say the Lions get the ball to a one-on-one contest in the square between Jonathon Brown and Zac Dawson with 10 seconds to go. If Brown is going to mark and win it for Brisbane until Dawson chops his arms, it's not really the innocuous foul that decides the game.

But it wasn't really this innocuous incident that decided the game, it was the ability for Brisbane and Berisha to get into a shooting position to win the game before being fouled. Say the Lions get the ball to a one-on-one contest in the square between Jonathon Brown and Zac Dawson with 10 seconds to go. If Brown is going to mark and win it for Brisbane until Dawson chops his arms, it's not really the innocuous foul that decides the game.

Pretty much. Without the contact, Berisha looks set for a unhindered strike one on one with the goalkeeper. He could have still fluffed it, he could have gone wide, he could have kicked it into the keeper ... but he had a gilt edged opportunity. That can't be ignored just because the penalty was given.

People can turn their attention to the offside ruling or lack thereof. Would need to see more frames to be honest. Ball still at the feet = offside, unpause, pause, separation between boot and ball = onside. Need to see the slowed down frame by frame of that too, although the fact that it was called by the same presenter that said the penalty was correct, suggests he must have done the frame by frame for the offside too. At any rate, if it was technically there, the fact that Berisha had to come back on side in front of the defender to win the ball, suggests that he gained no advantage from any offside positioning.

On the balance of play, Berisha beat Miller cold and earned a chance to shoot at goal, without being illegally impeded.

Pretty much. Without the contact, Berisha looks set for a unhindered strike one on one with the goalkeeper. He could have still fluffed it, he could have gone wide, he could have kicked it into the keeper ... but he had a gilt edged opportunity. That can't be ignored just because the penalty was given.

People can turn their attention to the offside ruling or lack thereof. Would need to see more frames to be honest. Ball still at the feet = offside, unpause, pause, separation between boot and ball = onside. Need to see the slowed down frame by frame of that too, although the fact that it was called by the same presenter that said the penalty was correct, suggests he must have done the frame by frame for the offside too. At any rate, if it was technically there, the fact that Berisha had to come back on side in front of the defender to win the ball, suggests that he gained no advantage from any offside positioning.

On the balance of play, Berisha beat Miller cold and earned a chance to shoot at goal, without being illegally impeded.

It doesn't matter if you don't gain an advantage from having to come back from being in an offside position. It's still offside when the ball is played. They are the rules and that's what needs to be followed.

It doesn't matter if you don't gain an advantage from having to come back from being in an offside position. It's still offside when the ball is played. They are the rules and that's what needs to be followed.

I understand that, and would have to see a frame by frame, not just a still shot at the moment fox sports says the ball was kicked. I am just talking about the state of play and the fact that Perth was under siege and even if the final moments came down to being unlucky technically, on the balance of play and in the spirit of the game, they weren't exactly ripped off. They would have been fortunate to get out of that situation unscathed.

I watched it and they are still wrong. You can clearly see Miller's foot doesn't touch Berisha's leg at all especially when Miller flicks his foot up. If anything, this video has made it more conclusive that there was no contact.

I watched it and they are still wrong. You can clearly see Miller's foot doesn't touch Berisha's leg at all especially when Miller flicks his foot up. If anything, this video has made it more conclusive that there was no contact.
Incorrect. You are seeing what you are wanting to see.

I understand that, and would have to see a frame by frame, not just a still shot at the moment fox sports says the ball was kicked. I am just talking about the state of play and the fact that Perth was under siege and even if the final moments came down to being unlucky technically, on the balance of play and in the spirit of the game, they weren't exactly ripped off. They would have been fortunate to get out of that situation unscathed.

You can't say whether Roar would have gone on to win. I know you are saying on the balance of play etc. but it doesn't mean anything. Glory could have had that extra 30 minutes to push. They could have thrown all their men behind the ball and hoped for penalties. Roar could have had someone sent off. The 5 minutes break between the end of the game and extra time could have given Glory a breather to go on and win. Roar could have put past 5 goals in extra time. We won't know.

Incorrect. You are seeing what you are wanting to see.

Miller's foot is trailing behind Berisha's.

Even if there was contact, Berisha should have gone down at that moment of impact. He still managed a step and an attempt on goal and then he went down like he'd been shot. That is simulation.

Miller's foot is trailing behind Berisha's.

Even if there was contact, Berisha should have gone down at that moment of impact. He still managed a step and an attempt on goal and then he went down like he'd been shot. That is simulation.

Why should he? I have been tapped in the leg been able to take an offbalance step and then go down for that reason.

Why should he? I have been tapped in the leg been able to take an offbalance step and then go down for that reason.

It just shows that the "contact" was not forceful enough to send him down. It's not like he was running at full pace ala Brenton Sped's rugby comparisons.

Actually the worst kind of diving are those where the player goes down at the moment of impact as though they have lost all use of their legs. Most people naturally will attempt to regain their balance. Once again, stepping on a ball does not help with your balance and you do not automatically find balance by landing a plant foot squarely after stepping on a ball, as balance is about more than where your feet are positioned.

It just shows that the "contact" was not forceful enough to send him down. It's not like he was running at full pace ala Brenton Sped's rugby comparisons.

Where has anyone said it was forceful enough to send him down? It was enough to have an elevated leg shift in mid air and come down on top of the ball, and this affected the play. You have been told the same thing over and over but fail to acknowledge it because you know it looks bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League Grand Final: Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back