A-League - Round 27: Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game last night, awesome atmosphere.

Was anyone else sitting in the Chappell stands, when the 'United' started I could believe how loud it was. I lol'd at the "we hate you cos you're victorian" chant started :p, although I was a bit dissapointed that the "you're going home in a barrell" chant didn't start :(

Yep. My other half and I were sitting up in the Chappell stand. The noise was unbelievable.

Adelaide v Melbourne rivalry for the last few years has been like Everton v Man U. Adelaide (Everton) HATE Melbourne (Man U) with an absolute passion, whereas due to our dominance Victory have simple enjoyed beating them and don't have the same hatred. Almost bemusement. This may well change given the dynamic certainly has!
Spot on.

Last night's game was meaningless to the Victory except to get some miles into the legs of underdone players like Archie before the finals. We were going to finish 5th win, lose or draw. If we get past GCU then we'll mostly be playing Adelaide in the 2nd week of the finals over there so that's when a win will count. I'll laugh my head off if we do and Adelaide choke in finals again.

lol @ MUFC having a heated rivalry with Everton.

That's exactly my point. But as anyone who's lived in Liverpool will attest to (me included), Man U are easily Everton's most hated team. Whereas Man U don't give a toss. This is fact.

Nearly everyone in Liverpool would rather the other side beat Man U whenever they play.

lol @ MUFC having a heated rivalry with Everton.

Not sure why youre laughing! There used to be some affinity between United & Everton, and also City & Liverpool, but United's famous Red Army took a pasting at Everton Valley one year.......not sure if they're too friendly nowadays.

Victory are similar to United in a few ways though (success and hatred from others for starters). United are despised most by their city rivals and the two main cities to their east (Leeds) and west (Liverpool). For these three substitute Heart, Sydney and Adelaide.

Myself, I have no hatred for Adelaide, a little for Sydney, but a lot for Heart, even though a few of my misled friends follow those red imposters.

That's exactly my point. But as anyone who's lived in Liverpool will attest to (me included), Man U are easily Everton's most hated team. Whereas Man U don't give a toss. This is fact.

Nearly everyone in Liverpool would rather the other side beat Man U whenever they play.

I'm actually not surprised, I have seen some footage of the hatred Everton have for them and it's very intense (off the pitch).

I'm actually not surprised, I have seen some footage of the hatred Everton have for them and it's very intense (off the pitch).

Yep it's nasty! Many think Everton & Liverpools most hated rivals are each other- but it's easily United for both. End of the day you have families who are split down the middle blue & red- so it's pretty hard to really hate each other that much! Obviously there are exceptions though...

Anyway this thread is being slightly derailed and that will probs upset Adelaide fans who would rather be basking in their glory- Congrats! :(

Great game last night, awesome atmosphere.

Was anyone else sitting in the Chappell stands, when the 'United' started I could believe how loud it was. I lol'd at the "we hate you cos you're victorian" chant started :p, although I was a bit dissapointed that the "you're going home in a barrell" chant didn't start :(

Good win. But remember the scores from the previous games.:eek:

Good rivalries like this is what the A-League needs. Victory have set the bar in being involved in big rivalries with Adelaide, Sydney and now Heart. Personally I respect Adelaide the most out of all those sides, and I think I enjoy our rivalry the most out of the three.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. Just like those 10 in a row and the finals :)

broken-record-765056.jpg

Five bucks says that all the MV fans saying "nah we were just runnign around for the fun of it"... would be in here nonstop if they beat us last night. Stop trying to deflect. You got beaten.

agree with you. We got beaten. Now we have to win 4 away games in a row to win the title. Not impossible but IMO improbable.

Still supporting hard though, because with the squad we have, anything is possible:D

agree with you. We got beaten. Now we have to win 4 away games in a row to win the title. Not impossible but IMO improbable.

Still supporting hard though, because with the squad we have, anything is possible:D

What should give us heart is that we've beaten all the teams that we'd have to play - including Gold Coast and the Mariners away. If Wellington can do us a favor and avoid us from going back to Adelaide, a Prelim is very achievable.

Not sure why youre laughing! There used to be some affinity between United & Everton, and also City & Liverpool, but United's famous Red Army took a pasting at Everton Valley one year.......not sure if they're too friendly nowadays.

Victory are similar to United in a few ways though (success and hatred from others for starters). United are despised most by their city rivals and the two main cities to their east (Leeds) and west (Liverpool). For these three substitute Heart, Sydney and Adelaide.

Myself, I have no hatred for Adelaide, a little for Sydney, but a lot for Heart, even though a few of my misled friends follow those red imposters.
United fans' main rival on and off the pitch still remained Liverpool though, Everton was invovled strictly because they're the other Liverpool club, so the Manc V Scouse shit came out.

At its peak IMHO Melbourne will always hate Sydney more, I've done Sydney and Adelaide away trips, we felt we could share a brew with Adelaide fans after the game, we couldn't with Sydney ones.

No matter how non-threatening they were.

United fans' main rival on and off the pitch still remained Liverpool though, Everton was invovled strictly because they're the other Liverpool club, so the Manc V Scouse shit came out.

At its peak IMHO Melbourne will always hate Sydney more, I've done Sydney and Adelaide away trips, we felt we could share a brew with Adelaide fans after the game, we couldn't with Sydney ones.

No matter how non-threatening they were.
I must admit when I've gone over to Melbourne for Victory games at Etihad, the mood at Southern Cross station on my way to get a train back to my cousins house was always quite friendly and a bit of "Gee, that was a great game" and all that. Away from the mob mentality of the ground, the MV fans are quite good on the whole.

No one disputed that- you should probably read my original post on the topic:

Adelaide v Melbourne rivalry for the last few years has been like Everton v Man U. Adelaide (Everton) HATE Melbourne (Man U) with an absolute passion, whereas due to our dominance Victory (Man U) have simply enjoyed beating Adelaide (Everton) and don't have the same hatred. Almost bemusement. This may well change given the dynamic certainly has!

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League - Round 27: Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back