A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty disgraceful when it's the ruddy captain.

Very hard to not feel that it's the tip of the iceberg.

And soccer is all very too vulnerable to this.

Happens in all sports. I'd say AFL is the worst for it. Old mate who is usually a full back tips off mates he is starting at Full/Centre Half Forward and there's a rush on him to score the first goal for his team..

Surely there should be government help for the covid stuff as the competition would not have been able to continue to run had the APL not shelled out for Perth / Wollongong and therefore the government misses out bucketloads of taxation revenue. All other affected industries received significant handouts. Why not the APL which was one of the most affected of all by covid?

Surely there should be government help for the covid stuff as the competition would not have been able to continue to run had the APL not shelled out for Perth / Wollongong and therefore the government misses out bucketloads of taxation revenue. All other affected industries received significant handouts. Why not the APL which was one of the most affected of all by covid?
The APL wasn't one of the most impacted by Covid. The 2019/20 season was almost over by the time the pandemic hit. The winters in 2020 and 2021 involved much tighter lockdowns in Melbourne and Sydney than the subsequent summers.
The Aleague got off lightly compared to the AFL and the NRL, and in any case would have received significant Govt support through JobKeeper.

The APL wasn't one of the most impacted by Covid. The 2019/20 season was almost over by the time the pandemic hit. The winters in 2020 and 2021 involved much tighter lockdowns in Melbourne and Sydney than the subsequent summers.
The Aleague got off lightly compared to the AFL and the NRL, and in any case would have received significant Govt support through JobKeeper.
You have to consider that the aleague essentially had no league wide sponsors at the time a part from channel 10, and the apl were essentially just putting their feet under the table at the time. Very much an apples to orange's comparison imo.

Both major leagues have the sponsors, large TV deals, and in the afls case land and money in the bank that helped them through, which the apl had none of. I'd consider the super rugby in a similar boat to the aleague, and atm I can see the aleague is arguably ahead based on media and crowds (but that could be me paying more attention to aleague then rugby atm).

You have to consider that the aleague essentially had no league wide sponsors at the time a part from channel 10, and the apl were essentially just putting their feet under the table at the time. Very much an apples to orange's comparison imo.

Both major leagues have the sponsors, large TV deals, and in the afls case land and money in the bank that helped them through, which the apl had none of. I'd consider the super rugby in a similar boat to the aleague, and atm I can see the aleague is arguably ahead based on media and crowds (but that could be me paying more attention to aleague then rugby atm).
Miles ahead (and it's not much of a compliment). Super rugby is still a thing? Only reason i know is the Melbourne side has been wound up next year.

Miles ahead (and it's not much of a compliment). Super rugby is still a thing? Only reason i know is the Melbourne side has been wound up next year.
aleague is also moving in the right direction, which when you compare like for like comps, the super rugby especially and netball aren't.
From the bits I've seen the rugby is making some good noises but imo Melbourne isn't one and it will be interesting to see how it looks moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can add central coast to the list needing an owner, also interesting to see what happens with victory

No dramas with Victory, there are plenty wanting to get their hands on our 777 shares (only 19.9% anyway) which are in control of their backer anyway. They were supposed to invest a whole lot into the club since buying shares but have done bugger all and their agreement to eventually acquire 70% share holdings is pretty much null & void now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back