A rift between Lyon & McGuire ?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s an interesting theory that Mrs Dogsbody has. Gary Lyon has the potential to usurp Eddie McGuire. He has greater credibility, having been a champion footballer. He is liked by the public across team boundaries and is not identified with one team. He has a capacity to engage in serious analysis of sport which McGuire lacks and he can be as flashy and showmanlike as McGuire when the occasion demands. He has a capacity to disagree with someone without being derisive and, although an ambitious man, has not (yet ?) developed the giant ego of McGuire. He is still young in TV terms but his conduct of the Sunday Footy show is better than McGuire’s conduct of the Thursday night version. Does McGuire see Lyon as a threat ? Is Lyon maneuvering in the background ?

Originally posted by dogsbody
It’s an interesting theory that Mrs Dogsbody has. Gary Lyon has the potential to usurp Eddie McGuire. He has greater credibility, having been a champion footballer. He is liked by the public across team boundaries and is not identified with one team. He has a capacity to engage in serious analysis of sport which McGuire lacks and he can be as flashy and showmanlike as McGuire when the occasion demands. He has a capacity to disagree with someone without being derisive and, although an ambitious man, has not (yet ?) developed the giant ego of McGuire. He is still young in TV terms but his conduct of the Sunday Footy show is better than McGuire’s conduct of the Thursday night version. Does McGuire see Lyon as a threat ? Is Lyon maneuvering in the background ?
Mrs Dogsbody wouldnt work at 7,would she?.

Originally posted by Zeke
That is where your post should have finished. If it is true you are not qualified to remark on the show's content, having not seen it for years.

I see.

If you watch it you can't say its crap, because you watch it and thus you must like it, and if you don't watch it you can't say its crap, because you don't watch it and thus wouldn't know.

Hey Zeke, what if its actually crap? Under what circumstances would you be able to say so? And would they require buying a Mac?

Originally posted by benny's buddy
Memo Channel 10 programmers: Move Before the Game to 9.30 Thursday. I think they'd be surprised at the results. Probably wouldn't win, but might go close.

My thoughts exactly !

The only reason TFS still rates high is because there is never anything else of appeal that runs against it.
But put it head to head against a show like BFG, where they take the p1ss out of the game (without being crude, arrogant, pigheaded, or obnoxios like TFS), has more appeal to the younger generation who actually play the game (where none of its panelists are antiquated fossils who always crap on about how good they apparently were), and actually have the odd looker on the show as well.
It would certainly get my vote !

Originally posted by Rik E Boy
Haven't watched the Collingwood show in years.

House of Bulger? If anything sounded the death knell of TCS, surely that was it. :)

r

Hmmmm.

The House of Bulger debuted in 2003 .... You haven't watched the show in years ......Hardly a credible criticism methinks :)

I enjoy Gary Lyon. He is far less biased than McGuire and Brereton, and seems to give everyone a fair go.

The Sunday Footy Show is a million times better than Thursday's crap. Havent watched TFS last three weeks and I think my Thursday nights have improved as a result.

Late Night Poker is always a treat.

Lyon has no team???

He is a former demons player and he bloody well shows it

I am almost starting to think he highlighted the Tarrant incident not becuase he hates Collingwood but because they were playing Melbourne that week. Atleast Eddie doesnt show hundreds of replays of a player bumping someone from behind the week the player in question plays COllingwood

Garry Lyon is more bias, boring and just plain dull than Eddie and if Garry hosted the footy show then radio ratings would skyrocket as noone would be watching TV on thursday nights at 9:30 and some would be calling for the NRL footy show instead

Garry would be jealous of Eddie because just like his boyfriend Hird they have massive egos. Then again maybe thats why he was so queit because he was jealous of James and Dermie getting on well

It would not surprise me if Gary Lyon ended up at channel ten. Two bonus's are no Eddie and finals football. As well as a chance to develop and produce football shows on the network.

Originally posted by eddiesmith
Lyon has no team???

He is a former demons player and he bloody well shows it

I imagine that you are referring to my comment that Lyon is not identified with one team. That’s a bit different from “has no team”. Lyon is not currently associated with any club in the way that McGuire is. McGuire is the public face of Collingwood. Lyon does not polarise opinion the way McGuire does. I’m not a supporter of Lyon. I’m just pointing out the areas pertaining to TV football presentation where his skills and capacities are better than McGuire’s. I’m coming round to Mrs Dogsbody’s view that Lyon is after McGuire’s job.

Remove this Banner Ad

A rift between Lyon & McGuire ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back