A rival revival? Hawks V. Geelong 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

All i know is our success burns them deeply. They can't believe our team has accomplished more than their great team did.

As the poster said above. Always in Hawthorn's shadow are the pussy cats.

It drives them mad. We had years of tormenting them. Denying them finals. Continually beating them down at Kardinia even when we were a late 90s rabble. The thread on their board from back around 2008 about the torture we have inflicted on them for years is solid gold. Then in 2008 we beat their greatest ever team to deny them b2b. Absolutely sent them over the edge without any further ability to post with any sense whatsoever in regards to our team.

Then they had that pretty little streak of mainly H&A games with the 1 QF thrown in and they thought all was good with the world. They snagged a few more flags and deservedly celebrated what a great era their club was having. Their posters settled, enjoyed our battles and appreciated the rivalry. We then pipped them in the 2013 PF and for the most part a lot of them were accepting that it was probably just our turn and we deserved that success..........but then we have just kept winning and winning.............and winning. We are beating them consistently now but the stinker is that 2013 PF win was the start of our run to the 3peat and our great club eclipsing their best ever era (with an era that isn't even our best).

The bitterness is now palpable and highly enjoyable.

It drives them mad. We had years of tormenting them. Denying them finals. Continually beating them down at Kardinia even when we were a late 90s rabble. The thread on their board from back around 2008 about the torture we have inflicted on them for years is solid gold. Then in 2008 we beat their greatest ever team to deny them b2b. Absolutely sent them over the edge without any further ability to post with any sense whatsoever in regards to our team.

Then they had that pretty little streak of mainly H&A games with the 1 QF thrown in and they thought all was good with the world. They snagged a few more flags and deservedly celebrated what a great era their club was having. Their posters settled, enjoyed our battles and appreciated the rivalry. We then pipped them in the 2013 PF and for the most part a lot of them were accepting that it was probably just our turn and we deserved that success..........but then we have just kept winning and winning.............and winning. We are beating them consistently now but the stinker is that 2013 PF win was the start of our run to the 3peat and our great club eclipsing their best ever era (with an era that isn't even our best).

The bitterness is now palpable and highly enjoyable.

I've never understood how intense animosity and baiting opposition supporters makes footy more enjoyable for some. On either side. That's just me though.

What I enjoy is having an rivalry based on begrudging respect and good natured shit stirring rather than out and out hatred, and a rivalry that does not involve one of the so called 'big 4'.

Some of our contests in the last decade have been among the greatest games of footy I've had the pleasure to watch, and that's only the last decade. There have always been plenty of other ripper games between the two sides (the two 89 games heading the list).

I must admit though, I would thoroughly enjoy reentering the top 4 next year and being the team that brings the 4 in a row dream to an end. If the result went the other way, I think I'd have to leave the country again lol.

The Cats havent beaten us in a game that matters since 1963

Itll just end in tears for them...

Id much rather we take down Essendon (the big game)...the only club with a positive win loss record against us in finals (7-8) and GFs (1-2)

Theyve been dodging us in finals for years
2011 qualifying didn't matter?

Scott has overestimated his list. A friend of mine is a cats fan who attended a pre season event where Chris Scott was very bullish about the cats winning the flag in 2015. Scott thought they had a superior list to any club if their best players stayed fit. Delusional.

Dangerfield is a superstar and he will probably be enough to swap Geelong and Adelaide on next year's ladder. Scott Selwood is an ordinary player and could not get a game at west coast. He is not an improvement on kelly. Henderson is barely an improvement on Rivers and they have lost one of their only match winners in Johnson.

They will finish in the bottom half of the 8. They lack the talent and the ticker to go any further. Their ruthless champions who I respected greatly (Ling, Scarlett, Chapman euc) have all retired. It says it all about the two clubs that when geelong was the top side and we weren't, we were able to keep games close and fiercely competitive. Since we became the dominant force, they simply go to water and get meekly thrashed.

Sums up the two clubs. It is a thing of beauty that they are now just a footnote between the Brisbane and Hawthorn eras.

Last edited:
I've never understood how intense animosity and baiting opposition supporters makes footy more enjoyable for some. On either side. That's just me though.

What I enjoy is having an rivalry based on begrudging respect and good natured shit stirring rather than out and out hatred, and a rivalry that does not involve one of the so called 'big 4'.

Some of our contests in the last decade have been among the greatest games of footy I've had the pleasure to watch, and that's only the last decade. There have always been plenty of other ripper games between the two sides (the two 89 games heading the list).

I must admit though, I would thoroughly enjoy reentering the top 4 next year and being the team that brings the 4 in a row dream to an end. If the result went the other way, I think I'd have to leave the country again lol.

Who said I bait anyone? Or perhaps you were talking about the Cats posters I am referring to? that's the thing - I couldn't give a shit about the Cats other than to enjoy the contests and I don't begrudge them their earlier success. But some Cats posters have taken it hard that we're on a golden run at the moment and flock like flies to shit with the disparaging remarks on any Hawk related thread.

But it doesn't anger me or bother me, it god dam amuses me now.

There's so much hype about the Cats now being top 4 and their premiership window being open. Personally I'm tipping them not to make finals. Here's a suggested best 22 from the Hun:

B: Andrew Mackie, Tom Lonergan, Jackson Thurlow - Mackie at the end. Lonergan still going ok, Thurlow needs to continue improving which is no guarantee

HB: Jake Kolodjasnij, Harry Taylor, Corey Enright - Enright at the end. Kolo still learning. Harry is an interesting one, has really dropped off and needs to find his best again

C: Mark Blicavs, Mitch Duncan, Cameron Guthrie - Blic is a gun. Duncan a gun if he's fit. Guthrie is improving but may be at his prime.

HF: Lachie Henderson, Nathan Vardy, Steven Motlop - Hendo has never shown himself to be a consistent key forward. Might be better off in defence. Vardy hasn't been injury-free much so hard to count on him. Motlop is improving his consistency and is highly valuable.

F: Corey Gregson, Tom Hawkins, Daniel Menzel - Gregson still young. Tomahawk still damaging but impact seems reduced. Menzel has played 1.5 games and hard to count on him

R: Rhys Stanley, Joel Selwood, Patrick Dangerfield - Stanley played well for a few games before being injured (again), yet to show he can do it consistently or stay injury-free for long enough. Jelwood's impact was down this year and needs to regain it. Danger is Danger

Inter: Scott Selwood, Josh Caddy, Nakia Cockatoo, Jimmy Bartel - Scooter will take time to get 100% right, if he ever does. Caddy plays 1 good then 2 bad games. Cocky still very raw. Jimmy is at the end and not sure he can have a lot of impact.

Emerg: Mitch Clark, Billie Smedts, Jed Bews - Clark can't get his body right. Smedts has never lived up to potential. Bews showing improvement.

To be honest Murdoch should be in the 22, but another who's lacking consistent impact.

Putting 22 names on a paper is easy and it does look good, but that doesn't get you into finals. Once you get beyond that 25 there's not much at all. And there's so many question marks on that 22. How do the old blokes go? Can all their injury-prone guys stay fit long enough? A few names there yet to reach their potential and can they take the next step?

If everything goes perfectly they're a top 4 threat for 2016. It's hard to see it happening and I think another season around 10-12 wins beckons for the Cats, and with more older guys to retire next year it might be downhill from there.

I think everything was quite civil between Hawks/Cats fans until your mob threw the toys out of the cot when 2008 didn't finish as you expected (read inked up 2008 premiership tattoos). The Bradbury flag, "we lost it, you didn't win it". Disgraceful sportsmanship.

But it does make a three-peat a little sweeter knowing how much this amazing feat cuts at Swans and Cats fans. Can't wait for Easter Monday. The stakes are high - Cats would be up and about knocking off 3xpremiers, Hawks would enjoy ripping the hearts out of the saviours (Dangerfield and co.)

Too right!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everything was quite civil between Hawks/Cats fans until your mob threw the toys out of the cot when 2008 didn't finish as you expected (read inked up 2008 premiership tattoos). The Bradbury flag, "we lost it, you didn't win it". Disgraceful sportsmanship.

But it does make a three-peat a little sweeter knowing how much this amazing feat cuts at Swans and Cats fans. Can't wait for Easter Monday. The stakes are high - Cats would be up and about knocking off 3xpremiers, Hawks would enjoy ripping the hearts out of the saviours (Dangerfield and co.)

Just for those who don't know Diablo14/Krishollo14 is a well respected poster whom some of us suspect could be more Hawthorn than Geelong - nah, kidding mate - definitely Hawthorn!

He has a love and appreciation of the game that trancends club loyalties - his rendition of seeing four Abletts play together in the sticks being one of my favorite bits of prose on BF.

Many on this board know the man and have drunk with him (once or twice to excess) and on that basis I would hope that he would be welcomed here as he has a vast football knowledge and plays the ball, not the man. That said, I think he is well off the mark with his expectation the Geelong will be top 4 next year.

Oh, and he's a bit of an idiot.

Just for those who don't know Diablo14/Krishollo14 is a well respected poster whom some of us suspect could be more Hawthorn than Geelong - nah, kidding mate - definitely Hawthorn!

He has a love and appreciation of the game that transcends club loyalties - his rendition of seeing four Abletts play together in the sticks being one of my favorite bits of prose on BF.

Many on this board know the man and have drunk with him (once or twice to excess) and on that basis I would hope that he would be welcomed here as he has a vast football knowledge and plays the ball, not the man. That said, I think he is well off the mark with his expectation the Geelong will be top 4 next year.

I'll take being a well respected idiot :D

You are certainly correct in saying that I like to appreciate footy played at its best, and I can tell you, even though I was dreading the inevitable shit storm that 3 in a row was going to bring, by half way through the third quarter of the Granny I was actually enjoying watching Hawthorn systematically take the Eagles apart. Admittedly it did help that West Coast are far and away my most disliked team ;)

He has a love and appreciation of the game that trancends club loyalties - his rendition of seeing four Abletts play together in the sticks being one of my favorite bits of prose on BF.

Yeah I've met him down the London pre 2011 QF. Nice bloke. Not issues at all.

Our rivalry whilst not traditionally born out of hatred and history ( ala Carlton/collingwood/essendon) it's stood to become the greatest of the modern era. Our rivalry stems from a gigantism of dominance and success, 2 clubs that ultimately conduct their business in the most professional and strategic of ways. The Geelong vs Hawthorn is a rivalry that's grown due to each club wanting to out-do eachother on the field and that mentality has filtered into the supporter base of both camps.

I truely believe our attempts to get Carlisle was heavily influenced by the recruiting of Geelong, I think we wanted to say "hey guys, were still the big boys here, we can play this game to".

You were way off it last year, but the obvious additions to your side should see you climb into top 4 calculations. For all the plaudits your defence gets I still think it's the weakest part of your side, Enright/Lonergan/Taylor/Mackie really don't impact the games as they used to and perhaps that's where Henderson relieves some pressure.

You are certainly correct in saying that I like to appreciate footy played at its best, and I can tell you, even though I was dreading the inevitable shit storm that 3 in a row was going to bring, by half way through the third quarter of the Granny I was actually enjoying watching Hawthorn systematically take the Eagles apart. Admittedly it did help that West Coast are far and away my most disliked team ;)
I still remember your very well measured comments after the 08 GF. As far as I'm concerned you are more than welcome here.

Expecting closer contests than this year and predict they will finish 6th or 7th. Too many list changes to slot straight into the top 4. My guess is they will finish strongly and be primed for 2017.
Whether it becomes a great rivalry again will depend on the Hawk's drop off. If we slow down (unsure about it, but obviously a possibility), we could be in the same tier in the 8 and it's game on again.

I like real discussion between supporters, it shows a love of the game not the scoreboard. Sadly many geelong supporters have no grudging respect and try to rationalise why 3 in five years is better than 3 in 3 which is impossible by any measurable parameter. No banter to be had there. The amazing thing about the rivalry since 2008 (or even since 1989) is the sheer weight of games laced with intense drama. Massive comebacks, last minute decisions, they have been truly gripping for along time.

Still maintain that Russel Greene liked a goal more than winning though. ;-)

Last edited:
in the overall scheme of things no….cats have had there greatest period 2007-2011 in there 118 year history, only for it to be surpassed by hawthorns mini dynasty….it must sting a little
Will be soothing after we start a new streak. Hopefully winning 4 games against you this year. Will be a struggle for you to make top 4 though, father time waits for no man. Please feel free to bookmark.

Remove this Banner Ad

A rival revival? Hawks V. Geelong 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back