4. win 11
5. win 5 (against OH)
6. win 6 (against OB)
7. win 16
8. win 15
9. win 8 (against OX)
10. lose 3
11. lose 15

Collegians results... not too sure what is so convincing about these, or why people are jumping on the bandwagon? Having only seen them play in round 2 at pinelodge there was nothing the stood out about them... against the bottom side they only win by 5 and against the other top 3 sides they have beaten two, by only 6 & 8 points, and were dealt a 6 goal loss against the the other

Lets raise a bit of chatter...

1. win 51
2. lose 33 (against OI)
3. win 52
4. win 11
5. win 5 (against OH)
6. win 6 (against OB)
7. win 16
8. win 15
9. win 8 (against OX)
10. lose 3
11. lose 15

Collegians results... not too sure what is so convincing about these, or why people are jumping on the bandwagon? Having only seen them play in round 2 at pinelodge there was nothing the stood out about them... against the bottom side they only win by 5 and against the other top 3 sides they have beaten two, by only 6 & 8 points, and were dealt a 6 goal loss against the the other

Injuries and availabilty to key players has played a major factor in results week to week for the Lions. It's hard to get an idea of what their top performance would be like because the best 22 have not hit the park for any game (except maybe round 1).

Names to have missed at least 3 games each this year include Mooney, Arnott, B.Robbins, Unsworth(C), with guys like Blumfield missing a game here and there as well. (of course Taft can only make it after half time with his "other" commitments on saturday mornings!!)

Not an excuse for the losses or formline (b/c all teams have injuries to cope with), but i think the main contributing factor behind results that can be considered not as convincing to many (with obviously the Lions depth not as strong as other teams, looking at the magoos performances).

Injuries and availabilty to key players has played a major factor in results week to week for the Lions. It's hard to get an idea of what their top performance would like like because the best 22 have not hit the pack for any game (except maybe round).

Names to have missed at least 3 games each this year include Mooney, Arnott, B.Robbins, Unsworth(C), with guys like Blumfield missing a game here and there as well. (of course Taft can only make it after half time with his "other" commitments on saturday mornings!!)

Not an excuse for the losses or formline (b/c all teams have injuries to cope with), but i think the main contributing factor behind results that can be considered not as convincing to many (with obviously the Lions depth not as strong as other teams, looking at the magoos performances).

Well said Penski.

If you look at the A Grade ladder and the formlines of most teams, there are a lot of inconsistencies. Injuries (and depth) will probably determine the premiers this year, the team that hits the finals with momentum will be the winners. Could be any of the top 5 sides I think but smart money would have to be on Xavs as they are the only ones up there who know what it takes to win it in A Grade and have great depth.
Collegians & Brighton will challenge on their day, as will Old Ivanhoe, however their reliance on a few stars will hurt once the inevitable break down of James Hope occurs. Let's hope Destination A Grade can fill the void.

ATTENTION-ENTERTAINMENT REPORT

Jonathon Horn shall be showing his skills at 'Flakeys' nite spot 14/7, 10pm. His show includes all his usual tricks, roving acrobats and a dunkem cage. Get yourself there and support this VAFA icon as he attempts to escape from the terror that is 'THE JAWS O DEATH'.

Gold Coin donation at door

Pete.

ATTENTION-ENTERTAINMENT REPORT

Jonathon Horn shall be showing his skills at 'Flakeys' nite spot 14/7, 10pm. His show includes all his usual tricks, roving acrobats and a dunkem cage. Get yourself there and support this VAFA icon as he attempts to escape from the terror that is 'THE JAWS O DEATH'.

Gold Coin donation at door

Pete.

You're having a larf Pete. I'm reliably told that Jonathan is on a date tonight.

Injuries and availabilty to key players has played a major factor in results week to week for the Lions. It's hard to get an idea of what their top performance would be like because the best 22 have not hit the park for any game (except maybe round 1).

You should have been at SKOB in the early naughites, like a war zone with injuries. The bottom line is all teams have injuries, was funny to note OMs(I know it is B Section) making the point that they had 11 players out from the first time they played SKOB this year. The funny thing is SKOB had just as many out plus their gun VFL players and still won.
I dont think Old Xavs will win the flag, but I dont know who will. It does get down to depth but I also think it is also about game style, committment to carry that out for 100 mins as well as your best stock on the park at the right time of the year. If you have a few injuries but your guns are in you will more likely win than lose.

with the Vafa website giving us a 100 word paragraph on the game... could someone who threw on the thermals and the sherpa outfit and made trek up to Ballarat to watch the VAFA boys play give us a goals, best afield breakdown and possibly a more detailed report than just the last 30 seconds of the match?

with the Vafa website giving us a 100 word paragraph on the game... could someone who threw on the thermals and the sherpa outfit and made trek up to Ballarat to watch the VAFA boys play give us a goals, best afield breakdown and possibly a more detailed report than just the last 30 seconds of the match?

I don't know anything. At face value however, that is a great effort by the Amateurs. It is an insult that we're losing to the SAAFL but to run a very strong country side to a point is an incredible performance, in light of the players who have left the VAFA in recent years. On that note, Mark Corrigan was best on ground for the VCFL and Danny Jordan was their spearhead.

Interesting that a gentleman by the namer of Saad Sadd kicked the decider. I have seen this man play and I have never seen anything like it. Sort of guy who could never play AFL as he is a bit of a space cadet. Played in the Grand Final for Seymour last year and hadn't eaten for days as he was fasting for Ramadan or something. When his boozy teammates got on it after the game, he had already passed out due to not having any food in his system. Then he flew to war torn Lebanon that night!

Has a great leap, flyes for everything. Would have been great to beat the country yokels but ahh well.

Under 23 should be scrapped. Pointless.

I don't know anything. At face value however, that is a great effort by the Amateurs. It is an insult that we're losing to the SAAFL but to run a very strong country side to a point is an incredible performance, in light of the players who have left the VAFA in recent years. On that note, Mark Corrigan was best on ground for the VCFL and Danny Jordan was their spearhead.

Interesting that a gentleman by the namer of Saad Sadd kicked the decider. I have seen this man play and I have never seen anything like it. Sort of guy who could never play AFL as he is a bit of a space cadet. Played in the Grand Final for Seymour last year and hadn't eaten for days as he was fasting for Ramadan or something. When his boozy teammates got on it after the game, he had already passed out due to not having any food in his system. Then he flew to war torn Lebanon that night!

Has a great leap, flyes for everything. Would have been great to beat the country yokels but ahh well.

How much stronger would the senior side have been if the U23's were available for senior selection? I don't know enough about those selected to know who could have played either.

Agree, the only reason the U23 format exists is because we kept chopping up WA and the SAAFL at senior level. Also should note that 80% of the SAAFL were not amateur players, as each team there can pay a % of their players.
Bring back the real Big V and smash everyone.

couldnt disagree more. if the 23's had won in an even contest everybody would be saying how good it was. its a great concept that gives some younger guys a taste of state football. in saying that, it was definitely a dissapointing result but the sa team had played for 3 years together while only a handful of the vafa boys had previously worn the big v.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

couldnt disagree more. if the 23's had won in an even contest everybody would be saying how good it was. its a great concept that gives some younger guys a taste of state football. in saying that, it was definitely a dissapointing result but the sa team had played for 3 years together while only a handful of the vafa boys had previously worn the big v.

Yeah but if my Auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle Frederick. Fact is, we were beaten by South a Bloody Stralia in a game that meant little, now that the irish concept has been shelved. Under 23? What the hell does that mean? Why not Under 24? Or 21? At least 4 or 5 of those blokes would have walked into the senior team and we could have beaten a combo from about a billion country comps.

This is just my personal opinion but I reckon a game like that simply gives people a chance to swagger around town saying they're a state selector, get a free trip, a free blazer, sink piss and talk shit.

Just my opinion though.

Yeah but if my Auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle Frederick. Fact is, we were beaten by South a Bloody Stralia in a game that meant little, now that the irish concept has been shelved. Under 23? What the hell does that mean? Why not Under 24? Or 21? At least 4 or 5 of those blokes would have walked into the senior team and we could have beaten a combo from about a billion country comps.

This is just my personal opinion but I reckon a game like that simply gives people a chance to swagger around town saying they're a state selector, get a free trip, a free blazer, sink piss and talk shit.

Just my opinion though.

well said son!!!

Just my opinion though.

Jono - I reckon the blazer's over-rated. Probably still get you further with the ladies in Adelaide than Melbourne. Just my opinion though.

Just my opinion though.
Gold Hornet. Sounds like an apt description of our mate Tommy MB Brain!

I must agree with one thing. apparently there were more 'officials' than players/coaches tagging along for that free trip. but if u say 4 or 5 blokes could've walked into the team then why didnt the senior team just steal them?? they stole madden until he broke down 24 hrs before the game and badderley til the last cut. if they were easily good enough for the seniors as u say, they would have been chosen there.

There were defninitely u/23 players in the senior team, which clearly weakened the u/23 side strength.

The SAAFL is an oxy moron as clubs can actually pay players! It's not limited to a percentage. If a club had the money they could pay every player if they wanted to. Some blokes earn up to $600 per game. They can afford it because numerous clubs have pokies and every club is allowed to sell alcohol during games. VAFA is still a much stronger league overall.

i did see the senior game in ballrat on sunday...

my quick summary

VCFL looked a better side all day, deserved to be further in front...

ugly game of football...many skill errors by both sides... could hardly believe what i was seeing... but in saying that, the game was a hot contest all day, both sides have a red hot crack, pressure around the ball was extrodinary

VAFA kicked 2 goals late to level, and a mark to saad saad at the top of the goal square was fortunate as fragiacomo slipped in the one on one contest allowing it to be pretty much un contested...

I have missed my tips the last week or 2 but this week i'm back

OS
OT
OI
OX
ST B

Couple of upsets brewing i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back