Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Quote from Vossy's view (email version... couldn't find this same quote on the website version)

Voss on young forward Aaron Cornelius

“Aaron Cornelius went back (to the Reserves) and had a good game. He will be one of the first cabs off the rank in terms of coming back into the team.”

“We have to find a position for him. We often encourage guys to go back and let their performances do the talking. Well, I’m hearing it loud and clear and he has certainly stated his case. We just have to fiddle our team around a bit to find out where we can fit him in.”

“Aaron will play in some capacity - so there’s one change we have to make.”

So it sounds pretty certain that Acorn will be back in this week.

Quote from Vossy's view (email version... couldn't find this same quote on the website version)

So it sounds pretty certain that Acorn will be back in this week.

Play him at full forward and pop Fev in the forward pocket; it's not like Fev leads anyway :rolleyes:

That being said.......we need to get the :footy: first

AFLQ

vs The Northern Territory Thunder

Strong key forward Aaron Cornelius, surprisingly chopped from the Lions senior side, kept his side in the game with three early goals when his side deserved to be much further behind.

Jesse O’Brien nailed a brilliant snap to make the margin 11 points, and the Thunder were gone when Cornelius marked strongly and booted his fifth.

A-Corn probably missed another 4 or 5 "gettable" ones.

A-Corn's finishing was not the greatest, but he presented very well.

Andrew Hamilton

Voss wants to see how Cornelius grabs his chance at full-forward. He has a month to cement his future in the Lions' forward line after Brendan Fevola's roller-coaster season came to a premature end on Saturday night with a groin injury. Cornelius has a clean pair of hands and is a good kick at goal. But he has floated in and out of games and has yet to demonstrate the desperation needed to claim a permanent position.

cornelius6.jpg

I stand by my original theory on ACorn, he should be used up the ground, made to work hard, we need to work the lazy hanger forward out of him and make him a machine. Plenty of talent but needs a lot of hard work to become a complete footballer. Won't learn it kicking bags in the 2s though.

If he's not up to it athletically, then he may not learn much in the 1s either.

AFLQ

vs Labrador

Aaron Cornelius kicked four opportunistic goals and finished with 49 goals, to finish fourth on the QAFL goalkicking list behind Southport’s Cleve Hughes (74), NT’s Darren Ewing (72), and former Lion Tim Notting (53).

cornelius.jpg

2010 End of Season Review

Games - 5
Best and Fairest - 2 votes (32nd)
Dreamteam - 265 points; $200,100 (+$34,900)
Supercoach - 280 points; $283,800 (-$40,200)

AFLQ stats

Games - 15
Goals - 49 (4th in comp)
Best (top 6) - 5

Strong Hands, No Engine

With the recruitment of Fevola it was always going to be tough for Cornelius to break into the side. In the reserves he was a regular goal kicker up forward. He also played some time in defence, something that he apparently hated, but which was presumably considered beneficial to his development. As the year progressed he was knocking louder and louder on the selection door, and with Brown injured, he got his chance in round 13 against Richmond.

He had an impressive first game, kicking 3 goals. He was very impressive with his contested marking, which combined with his natural football instincts made him a promising prospect. Brown even declared that he had the best set of hands at the club. But in the following weeks his output faded, and it was becoming clear that as much as his marking was a strength, his lack of endurance was just as much a weakness. This was affecting both his ability to get the ball as well as being able to exert defensive pressure. It did not take long for opposition sides to work him out and soon he became a liability. He was sent back to the reserves, and even with both Fevola and Brown injured in round 22, he did not get a call up. He was seemingly a class above at reserves level and a long way short of what is required at senior level.

To state the obvious Cornelius needs a big preseason. He will need to add strength to his light frame, but more importantly he needs to develop his tank. He does not seem suited to playing in defence, and with Brown and Fevola up forward, it would seem his best chance of breaking into the side is as a 3rd tall. In the modern game this role requires the ability to cover a lot of ground, something which Cornelius is a long way from being able to achieve. At this stage his career could go either way.

corneliusm.jpg

Ran into the great man at gym today down in Hobart! Had chat for a few minutes, seems like a nice bloke. Seems he is enjoying the weather in Queensland (compared to Tassie). Mentioned Sherman going to Richmond for a change of scenery too.

The other good thing was that he was heavily focusing on weights, so soon after the season ended, so I am expecting him to bulk up considerably by next season!

GO LIONS :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll back that up by saying after the round 22 game when I went to the after match function, I met acorn and he seemed really nice, was also only drinking the waters that night when many where into the crowns. Sounds like he is on a mission doing gym work already

China trip just the tonic
By Luke Holmesby
4:50 PM Fri 15 Oct, 2010

As for his travels through China, Cornelius said there were a few culture shocks that he was still getting his head around."It's been fantastic so far. I haven't travelled that much myself so to get out of Australia and experience a different culture is pretty good. There are quite a few people around so it's very busy," he said.
"The internet restrictions are quite different. There's no Facebook or anything like that so a few of the younger boys are starting to get a bit of an itch because they can't get on. It's certainly interesting."

cornelius7.jpg

After a few rumblings that Cornelius might not have been entirely happy with his opportunities

Were there actually any serious rumblings, or was it just the defeatist rants of a few posters who had started to portray A-Corn as the messiah?

I remember when the general rule of thumb was that a key forward needs about 4 years development before they can be expected to contribute at senior level. What happened to that?

Were there actually any serious rumblings, or was it just the defeatist rants of a few posters who had started to portray A-Corn as the messiah?

I remember when the general rule of thumb was that a key forward needs about 4 years development before they can be expected to contribute at senior level. What happened to that?
It seems when the sky is falling all the rule of thumbs go falling as well.

Rot.gif

Acorn hasn't had his break out year yet. If he has a great pre season, and plays some great footy next year, watch the rumour mill start up about him wanting to go to GWS. Only our good players get rumoured to go.

Aaron wore number 11 only because number 44 was temporarily retired for the Shanghai game as it is a very unlucky number in that market. In other words, so that the Mandarin-speaking commentator didn't have to say 'Aaron Cornelius die die'. (die, as in death)

Relatedly, a shame there wasn't a temporary number 88 at the game ('prosper') despite my suggestion to the club back in early August (on both counts).

Club makes a big deal out of assigning and re-assigning numbers, so unlikely to make any permanent changes in this manner.

Re: Mitch Clark

Mitch may be headed for a more permanent forward role.

Happy with this.

Probably going to make us a bit tall up forward, but I imagine Mitch would be playing a pretty hard running CHF that works his way up the field like Riewoldt.

He is obviously after a bit of stability in his position. This could result in a much happier Mitch next year.
Was looking forward to seeing more of Acorn next year... now looking less likely as he might struggle to get a spot with Brown, Fev and Clark up front :(
Unless we play him back...

Re: Mitch Clark

Was looking forward to seeing more of Acorn next year... now looking less likely as he might struggle to get a spot with Brown, Fev and Clark up front :(
Unless we play him back...

If Acorn is good enough, he'll earn a spot.

If the end of 2010 taught us anything, it is that Cornelius's reputation was not matched by performance.

Needs to build up his body and his tank. He's a fair way off the level at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back