Abbott Leadership challenge - "Et tu, Turnbull?" - 14/9/15

Remove this Banner Ad

He won't be in on Monday. Parliament rises tomorrow and returns on October 12th.

Yeah, he won't be in then. Easy decision. Abbott isn't exactly going to come in just because the media call for it. I would be surprised and disappointed if he did. He should come in whenever he wants to come in. 3-4 days is hardly the end of the world in politics, its not like these guys get much done anyway.

Med's response to Australia becoming a republic, gay marriage and Indigenous recognition:
Lol, all the vital issues. I am amazed the world hasn't ended already.

Compared to ---

Med's bringing up the desire to scrap the racial discrimination act:
yes but there is more to it than that. Farage is always speaking out about 18c type of stuff (and naturally gets accused of being racist on the back of it)

Lets hope Turnbull follows through on this, pity he doesn't have the knackers to scrap it completely but obviously doesn't want to hurt fundraising from Jewish community

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/reopen-18c-debate-say-liberal-senators-20150517-gh3ifh.html#ixzz3lj6JDDs7
Government backbenchers pushing for change to the Racial Discrimination Act say it's time to reopen the debate now that Communications Minister and prominent moderate Malcolm Turnbull has added his support.

Mr Turnbull has extended an olive branch to the Liberal Party's right-wingers by publicly endorsing a milder proposal to reform Section 18C of the act, which conservative commentator Andrew Bolt was found to have contravened in 2011.

All from the same thread.

****, you're a plonker!

Just look at what you consider a meaningless waste of time... vs something you drone on and on about...

The right for homosexuals to marry and indigenous recognition is a parody... but the right to be as racist as you want is a big deal...

Last edited:
Disenchanted until Monday - there was no way in hell I was going to vote Liberal with Abbott; now, I will.

https://instagram.com/textsfrommalcolm/
Lulz.

Right. So what you're saying is that when labour axe a PM that's 'playing politics as if it were sport', having a 'win at all-costs mentality', and the work of 'egotists'. When the liberal Party do exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons you'll vote for them. You're clearly a man of principle.

Yeah, he won't be in then. Easy decision. Abbott isn't exactly going to come in just because the media call for it. I would be surprised and disappointed if he did. He should come in whenever he wants to come in. 3-4 days is hardly the end of the world in politics, its not like these guys get much done anyway.

Clive Palmer thinks similarly, and it's why he won't be reelected in Fairfax.

You would be surprised and disappointed if he did what he is paid to do and represent his electorate in parliament?

As I said, it gives you an insight into his character. When Gillard was given the arse, she was there the very next day. No fuss, or dummy spit, despite what she was probably feeling. What a sook Abbott is.

Right. So what you're saying is that when labour axe a PM that's 'playing politics as if it were sport', having a 'win at all-costs mentality', and the work of 'egotists'. When the liberal Party do exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons you'll vote for them. You're clearly a man of principle.

I actually didn't say anything about the change of leadership, but don't let that stop you from cracking on with a rant.

Don't ever change Nankervis.

I'll vote for the Liberals now because I think Turnbull will actually be a great Prime Minister. Abbott had proven himself to be terrible, so I wouldn't, pretty simple. I think most of the Liberal Party reached the same conclusion, hence the move.

You would be surprised and disappointed if he did what he is paid to do and represent his electorate in parliament?

As I said, it gives you an insight into his character. When Gillard was given the arse, she was there the very next day. No fuss, or dummy spit, despite what she was probably feeling. What a sook Abbott is.
And what happened when Gillard & Rudd did come back so early? All it does is give the opposition a fantastic opportunity for some highly visible grave dancing. Tactically quite daft. If/when he does come back, the news cycle would have moved on and the impact will be lessened, many people have a short attention span. It really will just be the ALP upset by this due to the lost opportunity, the attention has already moved onto Shorten.

Sorry but the Liberal Party is an extension of Murdoch.

And labour just the extension of the dead hand of the trade union movement.

In all honesty there is no difference between the two, no actual ideology, precious little policy, its all personalities who respond to the ludicrous cycle of the overly frequent opinion poll. It used to be the poll was only published every few months or so, it could be used as an accurate gauge of how the electorate felt about the government's performance. Now happening every 2 weeks, it measures the government response to the current media spin cycle - and a good portion of that is driven by the opinion polls themselves. Plus there's no way of knowing that the persons polled actually give real opinions.

I bet if the pollsters falsified the results, no one would detect it - and you could burn a few politicians careers by doing so.

Are you suggesting that Gillard is a person of 'good character' and that Abbott isn't? Tony Abbott was loyal to a fault. Gillard was disloyal, actually disloyal is even a compliment for Gillard. Abbott is just a very proud person. 3-4 days in the life of Australian politics is absolutely nothing, if most of these politicians taken 3-4 day off - we would probably be better off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll vote for the Liberals now because I think Turnbull will actually be a great Prime Minister. Abbott had proven himself to be terrible, so I wouldn't, pretty simple. I think most of the Liberal Party reached the same conclusion, hence the move.
Are you saying it's the personalities not the policies that would win your vote?

If there were no change of policy at all as a consequence of the change of leader, would you still change your vote?

And what happened when Gillard & Rudd did come back so early? All it does is give the opposition a fantastic opportunity for some highly visible grave dancing. Tactically quite daft. If/when he does come back, the news cycle would have moved on and the impact will be lessened, many people have a short attention span. It really will just be the ALP upset by this due to the lost opportunity, the attention has already moved onto Shorten.

So not letting Labor MPs do a few zingers is more important than his basic role of representing Warringah? One wonders how anyone has the courage to go to Question Time :O

I actually didn't say anything about the change of leadership, but don't let that stop you from cracking on with a rant.

Great? Based on what? Not being repetive? The policies remain the same.
Can you clarify as surely you don't vote purely whether you like a candidate?

And labour just the extension of the dead hand of the trade union movement.

In all honesty there is no difference between the two, no actual ideology, precious little policy, its all personalities who respond to the ludicrous cycle of the overly frequent opinion poll. It used to be the poll was only published every few months or so, it could be used as an accurate gauge of how the electorate felt about the government's performance. Now happening every 2 weeks, it measures the government response to the current media spin cycle - and a good portion of that is driven by the opinion polls themselves. Plus there's no way of knowing that the persons polled actually give real opinions.

I bet if the pollsters falsified the results, no one would detect it - and you could burn a few politicians careers by doing so.

Now that would be some task given there are so many of them. All of whom rely on the reasonable accuracy of their findings for work and credibility.

Are you suggesting that Gillard is a person of 'good character' and that Abbott isn't? Tony Abbott was loyal to a fault. Gillard was disloyal, actually disloyal is even a compliment for Gillard. Abbott is just a very proud person. 3-4 days in the life of Australian politics is absolutely nothing, if most of these politicians taken 3-4 day off - we would probably be better off.
Yep much better character than Abbott will ever be remembered for.
I am assuming that when you state that he is a proud person, you know him personally?

Pfft, hardly a rant, and the text I've placed in quotation marks is from your comments regarding the Labour spill a few pages back. So I would have thought my question/observation was pretty fair, really.

But anyway, whatever floats your boat. And clearly Turnbull does that for you.

One thing I will say for Turnbull, is that it will be nice having someone actually string a few sentences together and describe their policy position(s). I don't agree with a lot of his politics, but i'll still take an articulate free-market apologist over a slogan wielding zombie any day. Abbott obviously fell into the latter camp.

Do you honestly believe the people of Warringah that voted for him would be upset about him not being there for a short time?? I don't.

So if the constituents were asked "would you prefer your local member to represent your interests in parliament?". The majority would say no?

Ofcourse it's not a huge deal. But if he has the ability to be there he should be there. If he just doesn't want to be there because he is proud, then that is just not good enough.

Now that would be some task given there are so many of them. All of whom rely on the reasonable accuracy of their findings for work and credibility.

You'd start off by reporting your results 2 - 3 percentage points off in the direction you wanted it, that's within statistical error margin. Then as the news cycle sees the "bad" poll, they will comment. The public (who lets face it are actually pretty stupid) then get influenced by the news cycle. Other polls then get legitimate results that start to mirror the false ones. Then you adjust another 2 - 3 basis points.

Rinse and repeat.

No I don't but how about you answer the question?
Gillard has more character and goodwill of the public than that little liar, germ will ever have.
Perhaps choose your words more honestly.

I will answer your question. I don't know Abbott, NONE of us (or the majority of BF posters) know any of these public figures, therefore we judge them from afar. Thankfully I don't need a source to have my own opinion. I think I would slot right into the media landscape atm. So you say that Gillard has more character, so based on your logic, you obviously know Julia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Abbott Leadership challenge - "Et tu, Turnbull?" - 14/9/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back