Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the Police ever caught this bloke?

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
Apparently yes. Cold case review years later matched DNA from the crime scene to a deceased person that was interviewed at the time.

Oh snap. Just saw that too
At least the Dongara case was solved. It didn't mention whether the second attempt in the same year in Busselton was also attributed to this person though.
Although it might be inspiration to whoever took Cleo. I wonder if the deceased perp had a like-minded relative, mate or cooffender.

The Busselton case.

Last edited:
That's the unbelievable part. To be able to pull something like this off without alerting anyone else is almost mind boggling. How did he manage to keep Cleo quiet without her screaming the park down? Negotiating that, to stay silent during the whole thing would have taken a lot of time. Surely there would be some disturbance to the ground outside the tent? But then after all that ninja style silent hit and grab, instead of leaving the grounds quietly, he decides to break with procedure and potentially alert others by "screeching" his tyres in a hurry to leave.

I'm sure like most people out and about on holidays, there would be lots of photos being taken, and some of those photos may inadvertently have people and vehicles in the background. Though I'm sure that the cops would be onto that checking everyone's phones who was on site that day because if it was an abduction, that person would have been there during the day.

It may have been a random attack, but this screams of someone who has done this before so I would expect every known pedo in WA to surely be visited by the men in blue for a chat.
My guess on a part of this is that Cleo slept through the actual abduction at least until she was in the car. Tucked up in her sleeping bag, tired from a long day, and many kids will sleep through being carried by someone at least for a short amount of time. She may have woken in the car when it started, which could explain the racing off that led to the tyres screeching.

It does definitely add to the unbelievable and brazen nature of this, though. The perpetrator was at enormous risk of her waking up at any point either as being removed from the tent or being carried to the car. I’d assume the perpetrator’s plan was to dump and run at that point, and probably they would have made it to the bar and off before anyone made sense of what was happening enough to get a good look. But still, it’s a mind boggling mindset to have. No wonder the psych (mentioned a few pages back) spoke about them being a psychopath who doesn’t feel anxiety.

At least the Dongara case was solved. It didn't mention whether the second attempt in the same year in Busselton was also attributed to this person though.
Although it might be inspiration to whoever took Cleo. I wonder if the deceased perp had a like-minded relative, mate or cooffender.

The Busselton case.

It does show that these sickos frequent holiday sites as a hunting ground. Shouldn’t really be a surprise when you think about it.

My guess on a part of this is that Cleo slept through the actual abduction at least until she was in the car. Tucked up in her sleeping bag, tired from a long day, and many kids will sleep through being carried by someone at least for a short amount of time. She may have woken in the car when it started, which could explain the racing off that led to the tyres screeching.
Dunno, find it weird. She wasnt that tired that she woke up involuntary at 1:30 to ask for a drink of water, so l find it difficult to believe she was asleep throughout any abduction.

Dunno, find it weird. She wasnt that tired that she woke up involuntary at 1:30 to ask for a drink of water, so l find it difficult to believe she was asleep throughout any abduction.
I’m not so much going on what I think of her particular sleeping patterns - working forward - as I am working on the idea that there was no noise from her so she likely didn’t wake - working backward. Kids sleeping patterns at that age can be pretty random, especially in an unfamiliar environment. She might have woken up a dozen times and then conked completely or she might have continued waking.

But if she did wake up I doubt it would be that hard for a predator to have subdued her. I presume the predator covered a very short distance between the tent and car. She’s a tiny child being handled by likely an adult male (but even an adult female with that type of mindset would easily manage her) buried in a sleeping bag. She’s going to be disoriented for a period of time.

Been following this from Melbourne and something just seems off with the story.

130am the girl gets water from mum..

Everyone goes back to bed...

Just after 3am a car is seen turning onto the highway...if that car had Cleo in it then the timing is almost impeccable... they'd have nabbed the kid less than an hour after her and her mum were awake...and without a sound being heard.

Seems a bit of a stretch...but I reckon the parents know more than they're letting on.

Who the hell would be able to open a tent zipper in the middle of the night,
Just after they'd been awake, snatch a kid and get in a car and drive off...whilst remaining dead silent.
100%. It’s sounded weird to me from the outset.

I tracked all cattle grids (7 or 8 from memory) on street view from the campsite, along blowholes road, then along north west coastal highway all the way to Carnarvon - no cameras. Possible that there's some if you head north, but none on that route south.
How up to date is street view though? Since covid I doubt the film crews have been out and about.

I tracked all cattle grids (7 or 8 from memory) on street view from the campsite, along blowholes road, then along north west coastal highway all the way to Carnarvon - no cameras. Possible that there's some if you head north, but none on that route south.
Street view wouldn’t be that up to date would it?
Wouldn’t think they would send a car camera out that remote too often.

More details on the audio recording of Cleo on CCTV at a beach shack at the camp grounds and closeup pics of the CCTV camera at the site.

'Audio of Cleo Smith was recorded on a single CCTV camera at a beach shack, situated just 20m from where she was staying, the day before she vanished.
The motion-sensitive camera faces the front of the shack, capturing a wide shot of anyone who enters or exits the beach home. It also records audio.
Cleo, just four years of age, was heard on the camera, police have confirmed.
The camera is in a protective box with a glass front, making it inconspicuous to those staying in the area.
Police took copies of the footage and scoured through it, saying Sunday it had helped confirm Cleo was at the camp grounds prior to her disappearance.'

View attachment 1267091
View attachment 1267092

View attachment 1267237

There's a new pic of the CCTV camera on No. 28 in today's West, that appears to show it overlooking the crime scene camping spot (see below)

+ the blue sky pic of No. 28 has been replaced by a new actual pic of it (now edited into my No. 28 CCTV post yesterday which is quoted above)

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 8.16.35 am.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When people feel fear they don't always scream. There's the fight, flight, freeze response.

Fight: kicking & screaming, Flight: running away & possibly screaming, Freeze: exactly that, no sounds or movement, complete shutdown

Children are generally raised to do as adults tell them.

I was a particularly compliant child, and whether that adult was known to me or not, I never questioned an adult and always did as I was told.

If Cleo had woken up whilst being carried, being told to be quiet whether verbally or visually (finger over mouth gesture), that may have been all that was required to keep her silent.

100%. It’s sounded weird to me from the outset.

I think the real story is far more simple...just doesn't seem plausible that a tent zip can be adjusted to the fully up and open position and the child nabbed by a complete stranger without a sound.

More likely the parent/s opened the tent and did something or allowed something to take place.

The timing doesn't make sense.

It's a massive risk to enter someone's tent 30min after they were awake and nab a child.

When people feel fear they don't always scream. There's the fight, flight, freeze response.

Fight: kicking & screaming, Flight: running away & possibly screaming, Freeze: exactly that, no sounds or movement, complete shutdown

Children are generally raised to do as adults tell them.

I was a particularly compliant child, and whether that adult was known to me or not, I never questioned an adult and always did as I was told.

If Cleo had woken up whilst being carried, being told to be quiet whether verbally or visually (finger over mouth gesture), that may have been all that was required to keep her silent.

That's all well and good but it's pitch black at around 2 or 3 in the morning...how would a child see? Unless the person is running around flashing a torch...

A child being that quiet is more likely to be with a known person.

I appreciate why the police and the media are trying to keep it at the top of the news cycle, but almost every day there’s a ‘major development’ that turns out to be nothing.

The only possibly significant thing to come from the last few days is the car sighting, but it’s been getting very clickbaity.

OK, how about this unlikely scenario.

The perpetrator contacts the media, sends a photo of Cleo who is alive and well, but secure in their basement. Proposes to provide the location and turn himself/herself into authorities if the $1 Million reward is transferred to a mother/brother/sister's bank account...

I, like the perpetrator have not really thought this through, how would it play out..?
This isn't a Liam Neeson movie.

I appreciate why the police and the media are trying to keep it at the top of the news cycle, but almost every day there’s a ‘major development’ that turns out to be nothing.

The only possibly significant thing to come from the last few days is the car sighting, but it’s been getting very clickbaity.
Agreed. Unless I see a headline that actually says she’s been found, I’m not even inclined to click on it anymore. How can you tell if it really is a major development when they say every minor thing is major?? Very clickbaity indeed.

Gone for a nice quite google earth drive this morning and found there are three cattle grids along (actual) Blowholes Rd and one on a side track. If you zoom down on this image you may be able to see the cattle grids are positioned in such a way they line-up with a fence-line boundary.
At each cattle grid there are signs with black and white diagonal stripes that are front and back with a gap between each. this could well be where the cctv cameras are mounted.

1635115624587.png

Below are images of 2nd cattle grid

1635115624775.png

edited to add: the 3rd cattle grid (closest to the camp site) is within 1km.

Attachments

• 1635115368893.png
    1635115368893.png
    88 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The 'what is this' pin on 1st GE wide view of cattle grids, is an ancient structure that has something sitting on its roof that may be cctv. I believe this may be the old public toilet long drop. Council records reveal new ablutions were installed about 5 years ago but they don't say where on the site.

This shot shows the gap between the front and back of the grid signage

View attachment 1267270
Given how common CCTV and dashcam footage are these days I’d be stunned if there wasn’t something showing the passenger vehicle somewhere.

As with Borce Ristevski the images might not be great but if it can be narrowed to a model etc that might do it.

If it turns out to be a red herring though then I think the chips might be spent.

I think the real story is far more simple...just doesn't seem plausible that a tent zip can be adjusted to the fully up and open position and the child nabbed by a complete stranger without a sound.

More likely the parent/s opened the tent and did something or allowed something to take place.

The timing doesn't make sense.

It's a massive risk to enter someone's tent 30min after they were awake and nab a child.

The drink occurred around 1.30am, the vehicle was witnessed and heard at around 3-3.30am. Enough time for deep sleep to occur.

Given how common CCTV and dashcam footage are these days I’d be stunned if there wasn’t something showing the passenger vehicle somewhere.

As with Borce Ristevski the images might not be great but if it can be narrowed to a model etc that might do it.

If it turns out to be a red herring though then I think the chips might be spent.

There would be cctv all over Carnarvon given the crime rate is pretty high. I would think the cattle grid cctvs would have night vision capability as well given cattle rustlers don't normally apply their trade in broad daylight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Abduction of 4yo Blowholes Shacks WA *Terence Kelly Convicted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back