Bumped Ablett signs with Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ablett to sign with Gold Coast - announcement at midday

All this talk of the money, i'm over it. We all might have taken the money if it were offered to us in the same position, but it doesn't mean our current employers and colleagues have to accept it nor like it. Especially if everyone was taking less, for the success of the team.

Decision he couldn't refuse is just rubbish.... money will never be his problem... he's a smart bloke, he can invest and make boatloads of money on either salary.

It's all in the way it happened as well, to me now, he's an opposition player in my 2nd most hated team. The past is not forgotten, but we don't have to like him one bit from here on. I go for the mighty cats and he chose he doesn't want to play with them anymore, so he turned his back on something i would kill to be able to do.

In the end a fresh start for everyone now will be great for the club, it's gives opportunities to another young bloke to step up.

That's the one thing people seem to forget.

You've summed up how I feel overall there though turbo.

Re: 3AW just annoucned Gazza Gone - Will be annouced at 12pm

Welcome to the new AFL folks....

New clubs, new agendas and a new horizion!!!

The Draft will change, The Draw will change, players and clubs will change, tv rights will change but the lowest common denominator won't - MONEY

Thanks Gaz for your great career at CATLAND....you were a great player and breath of fresh air to us all...!!

Catters, lets move on .... we have a new season to prepare for.... give the extra coin to Selwood, Varcoe, Kelly and the kids and build the next phase of our great club around them. Develop new coaches, build on the pillars created by Frank, Cookie, Thommo, Balmey, Wellsy and Co and continue to work towards our next premiership....that is the goal.

Instead of clicking in the seatbelt and enjoying the ride cat fans, its time once again to roll up the sleeves and get the hands dirty and build again. We will get there, and it will be sweet......

If we dwell on the departure of GAJ too much it could take us back to that dark place we never ever want to go back to....

Believe in our club folks....I still do.

I totally blame the AFL here, there has been a lack of foward thinking into how their push to expand is going to hurt other clubs.

I understand they want GC to be succesful and are in many ways learning from the mistakes of Brisbane who really just got offered the teams off cuts but surely there is a better way to do this.

Giving a club enough money and large enough salary cap to be offering what is being reported was always going to mean a club was going to end up with their heart broken. There should have been some sort of clause where each team could have 3 "untouchable" players that the GC could not touch or something. The way they are running the expansion stinks of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

What are you talking about?

You don't think Vlad is ecstatic that he's been able to engineer the yanking of the games best player from the most successful club of late and hand him over to one of his new investments?

He knows this will hurt the club on and off the field in the short term, and that's exactly what he wants.

And I don't think he'd be too disappointed if it took us a couple of decades to get back.

It's actually a very sad day for Aussie Rules football. To think that a highly decorated F/S would walk out on his club to play for an interstate soulless franchise on the back of a fat pay cheque, when you're already well compensated is feckless and dispassionate - despite the ensuing crocodile tears.

I knew Ju$$ was a mercenary and was intoxicated by Visy's money, and Barassi left the club of his Father to coach at another, but Ablett has left for nothing more than bags of cash.

Football, the way I knew it, won't be the same after today.:thumbsdown:

My sympathies to the truly loyal Geelong faithful.:thumbsu:

Re: 3AW just annoucned Gazza Gone - Will be annouced at 12pm

It just feels as though Gazza is thinking. "Oh no, GC are offering me close to $10M over 5 years, i must take that otherwise i will never earn another cent in my life". It's outrageous, he is a smart wealthy man who staying at the Cats would have made A LOT of money post-football life with merchandise, advertising etc. I'm starting to think that money isn't the whole reason Gary is leaving, i'm starting to think he wanted to go to because he was excited by the idea of moving to the Gold Coast and captaining a new AFL club.

Are the Cats going to organise something so that we may be able to say thanks for the memories, or something.....will he be allowed to be available at the Cats Family day... is there even one this year??? Any detials on when it is???

Gary Ablett is a Gold Coast player now, what makes you think Geelong will want him at any functions ??? one things for sure, Gazza will not be at Geelong's family day.

Just because they changed the site images and list does not mean the club knew about it all. Ridiculous to even say that.

of course they did. If you want to have your pie in the sky high hopes about this whole scenario feel free, but you will need to face the reality that the club has known about this for a long time, which was why Thompson was so gruff in the media about the issue, why Geelong went hard at the AFL about proper compensation picks and why there has been a series of premature media leaks about his signing with GC. It's been out there for a long time, but the AFL has been working to a timeline and censuring anyone who puts a foot wrong. Grubby business.

of course they did. If you want to have your pie in the sky high hopes about this whole scenario feel free, but you will need to face the reality that the club has known about this for a long time, which was why Thompson was so gruff in the media about the issue, why Geelong went hard at the AFL about proper compensation picks and why there has been a series of premature media leaks about his signing with GC. It's been out there for a long time, but the AFL has been working to a timeline and censuring anyone who puts a foot wrong. Grubby business.
Talk about jumping to conclusions. Who even runs the sites, makes daily changes, who talks to the site makers about what to put on there?

Clearly they would have known that he was either staying or going, and hence had a back up plan either way. This morning when he told the club, then they changed all the banners and player lists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary Ablett is a Gold Coast player now, what makes you think Geelong will want him at any functions ??? one things for sure, Gazza will not be at Geelong's family day.

I think that its sad that he is just up and off and no thanks for your services. It may seem wried I know, but seriously, the guy was an absolute champ for us and I for one, would like to thank him for his time and effort. Watch the 2007 GF man and see just how happy he was to finally win the GFC a Premiership. You could see the hurt in his eyes for his old man for never winning one.

Do you think this will stop the club in honoring his Old Man now...what about him. WOUld he make it into the Cats team of the past 150 Years if it was done tomorrow???

The guy must be remembered for his services to the club, and i believe that as a GFC former Player...we owe him..AT THE MINIMUM...A THANKYOU.

headdrop.gif

I even made a gif for him :(

testyr.gif

Talk about jumping to conclusions. Who even runs the sites, makes daily changes, who talks to the site makers about what to put on there?

Clearly they would have known that he was either staying or going, and hence had a back up plan either way. This morning when he told the club, then they changed all the banners and player lists.

Considering afl.com runs all the club sites with input from each club, it's been known for a long time. Don't shoot the messenger.

Is there a family day coming up?

Anyone live in Geelong ?? If so, what's the feeling there and what's going on ??

I feel sorry for all the supporters who wear gazza jnrs number on the back of their jumper.

I feel sorry for all the young cats fans who look up to gazza as their hero, their idol and their favourite player.

I feel sorry for the football world and what all this loads of cash has done to not only direct clubs but the football world in general.

The one thing that was great about our game was money was never the main factor in trades. There was always a solid and genuine reason for players to play out their careers at a rival club.

The entry of the GC and the financial backing provided by the A.F.L has given the GC a chance to build a team that within 3 or 4 years will be contending for the premiership.

I am a hawks supporter and while we lost Campbell Brown, I am happy to say that it's good that he has gone. Why? Because as a dedicated and LOYAL hawks man, when I buy my membership each year, I wanna go and watch 22 blokes that want to run out on to the field and play for their jumper not players who want to chase money.

The + is, Hawthorn got a first round pick for campbell brown. Geelong should receive two low 1st rounders and you will use these on two guns. By this time ablett is around 28 and you got two guns that have the best part of 10 years ahead of them.

Geelong have had a great run over the last few years, sit back rebuild and enjoy the show that your LOYAL players provide.

Money has changed the game.... What a shame!!!!!

Ablett taken off GFC.COM.AU website

Go check it out, his pics are gone, his player profile and the photos of him on the background gone, now has Scarlett and Selwood.

*sigh*

Lets be realistic here, Gary couldnt knock it back, the money is crazy and he knows it. I would sell all of our stars if we can win one flag this weekend, you guys have been lucky with 2, and still have a crack at another next year.
Put yourself in his position and you would do the same, his Dad and bro live up there too and there is a fair chance Nathan has a guaranteed spot on the list too, it all makes sense.
Im sure you will get some guns with the draft picks, we ended up with Nicky Dal when Hall left for Sydney.

Re: Ablett taken off GFC.COM.AU website

Well he should be off the website, why would we wants GC players on the GFC site?

Re: Ablett taken off GFC.COM.AU website

Really? Are they taking any other players off or do they leave them there until next years photos ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back