List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will He Go?: Gary Ablett had weekend talks with Gold Coast

Very destabilising for the playing group, unless he signs up fast. In that sense l reckon its poor form to have met with them in person, rather than let Pickering hear an offer himself. He has recieved extraordinary and deserved protection off the ball as our best player and l think the guys would certainly find that harder to swallow. That very courage and character that got us over the line this year...

For all we know though, maybe that is why he is doing this now? Maybe it's Geelong who want this sorted out now, rather than during the year and destabilising the group then, as an offer will inevitably come from GC later in the year if not now.

So you'd say no to 200% pay rise for doing the same line of work but for a different company?

If you were raising a family you'd put loyalty to a company that is paying you 50% less than the competitor above a chance to provide your family with financial stability and set you up for life?

C'mon now...

Yeah but it's not just 'work' is it?

All I can say is, if I was fortunate enough to have the talent to not only play AFL football but join the club I supported as a kid, win some flags, win some individual prizes, then it wouldn't matter what money I could get anywhere else. I'd be on cloud on 9.There'd be no other team in my eyes - and my challenge would be to keep winning everything before me in the navy blue and white hoops.

800k or 1.5m, it's all irrelevant if you value life properly.

Always thought he was a strong possibility to go cos here’s known to be money hungry. What pisses off more is that he and Pickering are in preliminary talks at this point. It has the potential to be destabilising and doesn’t show much respect for the club.

And yes ‘Hinkley29’ I definitely reckon GC has a good chance of a flag by 2016 with 8 top uncontracted players and all favourable draft concessions. Throw in the AFL’s desire for them to be successful (and will do all they can to help them along the way) and you have a very potent mix.

Always thought he was a strong possibility to go cos here’s known to be money hungry. What pisses off more is that he and Pickering are in preliminary talks at this point. It has the potential to be destabilising and doesn’t show much respect for the club.

And yes ‘Hinkley29’ I definitely reckon GC has a good chance of a flag by 2016 with 8 top uncontracted players and all favourable draft concessions. Throw in the AFL’s desire for them to be successful (and will do all they can to help them along the way) and you have a very potent mix.

8 uncontracted players, plus a bunch of list-fillers/journeymen and a bunch of draft picks who may or may not be any good? I would suggest that there is very little chance that GC are challenging for a flag before 2016.

Plus in the first couple of years of their existance there is a very good chance that they will be contending for the spoon.

8 uncontracted players, plus a bunch of list-fillers/journeymen and a bunch of draft picks who may or may not be any good? I would suggest that there is very little chance that GC are challenging for a flag before 2016.

Plus in the first couple of years of their existance there is a very good chance that they will be contending for the spoon.

8 very good uncontracted players. And if you reckon the recruits are "list fillers" then you and your namesake are polls apart cos Ken has spoken glowingly about who he has to work with. I'll go with Kenny's assessment.;)

No one doubts the first year or two will be tough. That takes us to 2012.

Based on media reports, it appears that the meetings were conducted in a clandestine fashion without the knowledge of the Geelong hierarchy. A bit destabilizing for the playing group one would think now that it has been aired.

Whatever the case, it's disappointing whatever way you look at it.

I just hope I don't have to tell my 8 year old daughter that the No. 29 jumper she currently wears to games has been sold out.

My feeling is that Gazza is a quality individual and does place a great deal of importance on how he is perceived by the general public and of the legacy he is creating. Combine that with his obvious history and affection for the Geelong Football Club and I'm hopeful he will stay.

I'm sure Frank and the boys can stash a few more bananas in the kit bag and keep him commensurately rewarded for his services to our club.

Costa could employ him as a fruit and vegetables ambassador and pay him outside the salary cap too. Works for Judd.
that already happens. I feel confident that Ablett will be well looked after if he stays at Geelong anyway. Money would not be a real issue for most AFL stars, and he doesn't strike me as someone who aims to be the AFL highest paid player. The only bugbear that I can imagine could be relevant is his brother being at GC, and the perceived lack of respect for Nathan by Geelong Cats. Also, we all acknowledge he is the most inspirational player in the AFL, not just Geelong, so why would he not be an ideal captain. He has already stated he'd be honoured to do it. Who at Geelong would not respect him ? The very fact that he is not the favourite to be captain with all he offers our team is a concern. Chris Judd leaves West Coast and is captain of Carlton without debate. Ablett is our Judd in every respect, except that he is still playing with his original team.
He shouldn't be made captain as a lure or reason to not leave, but really because he is an outstanding individual and the most brilliant player in the AFL and because he is ready. Ling has how many years left as an automatic weekly inclusion? Selwood is brilliant but perhaps too young.
I find it hard to accept that he would leave purely for money. There would have to be some underlying ill feeling or feeling undervalued for him to leave. Maybe just reading all these opinions tonight makes me feel plenty on BF don't value his worth, but that obviously doesn't reflect the club.

I do empathize with your club re: Ablett as Im sure we will have a similar situation again when Tippett is out of contract.

I guess the thing is how could you begrudge someone who is arguably going to be paid the highest ever in AFL history. This would set him for the rest of his life and Im only talking about his first contract with them. Sure money is not the be all and end all, but if he accepted a 4 year deal to be paid a king ransom I think any player regardless of mate ship, club loyalty, premiership chance and leaving home, would take it up as its only 4 years.

If I was Geelong I would look at setting up a football dynasty by demanding no less than 2 first round picks potentially two top 5 !!! That would mean you could remain at the top without plateauing out like clubs like Carlton Melbourne Saints etc.

I guess the thing is, the AFL world know nows he listened to an offer.......

The seed has been planted.

8 very good uncontracted players. And if you reckon the recruits are "list fillers" then you and your namesake are polls apart cos Ken has spoken glowingly about who he has to work with. I'll go with Kenny's assessment.;)

No one doubts the first year or two will be tough. That takes us to 2012.

What is Kenny going to say? That he is going to have a few stars, a bunch of scrubs and a bunhc of kids? That isn't exactly going to lure recruits to the club or promote the club in a non-AFL state is it?

GC have no chance at contending for a flag before 2016.

Pickering: "We're not making any comment."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...old-coast-report/story-e6frf9jf-1225808092105

If Pickering or Gary doesnt come out to put an end to the speculation soon, then we would have to assume he is leaving right? If he didn't want to leave, why not come out and say he's staying put? There is a simple asnwer to that - because he probably IS leaving.

It may be argued that if he bluntly says he is staying it will put him in a bad negotiating position to renegotiate his contract with Geelong. But, pretending to be leaving isn't going to make any difference with his renegotiation - it seems the salary cap at Geelong is already maxed out and pretending to leave isn't going to squeeze out any more cash.

Also, what do you think Pickering is telling him? As the manager, he gets 10-15% of his income. Do you think Pickering is brimming with loyalty right now, or is think about the EXTRA $400k he is going to make on this new deal?

My internet-football-superhero opinion: this is a done deal and he will leave.

The question remains: what happens when he is on field ofr Geelong next year? How the hell can this guy be part of the leadership team when everyone assumes (wrongly or rightly - it doesn't matter) that he will leave for the cash?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best news for the Cats is that this has come out now. It will now be very difficult for Ablett to play in a Geelong jumper next year without signing a new contract before the season starts - purrfect.

Judd kept his future quiet until the end of the season and that has now been taken away from Gaz. Thank you very much Port Adelaide.

The GCoast will be delighted to have had the opportunity to meet Gaz but would be livid that it hasn't been kept secret. Their best chance was to keep the issue underground so that the speculation would last 3 months rather then 10. Ablett is now in a position where he has little option but to sign with the Cats or endure 10 months of media frenzy, speculation, peer pressure and innuendo as well as being seen as a destabilising influence on his team. Very little option but to sign the dotted line in my view.

What is more concerning is the values everyone has towards money these days.
Take the money, set yourself up yardy yah yah.
The guy will be sufficiently set up if he stays at Geelong. 800k is a lot of money to most people but the difference between say 100k a year and 900 is a lot bigger in real terms than between 800k and 1.6 million.
Is there really that much difference between having say 5 million as against 10? Gaz will retire with atleast 5 mill worth of assets if he does stay at Geelong - I am sure it is enough for him to live how we wishes there after. What difference will an extra 5 million make? At that level of wealth you have enough choices and opportunities to live a great life and not have to worry about money. The rest is just greed. WTF is wrong with people!

The best news for the Cats is that this has come out now. It will now be very difficult for Ablett to play in a Geelong jumper next year without signing a new contract before the season starts - purrfect.

Judd kept his future quiet until the end of the season and that has now been taken away from Gaz. Thank you very much Port Adelaide.

The GCoast will be delighted to have had the opportunity to meet Gaz but would be livid that it hasn't been kept secret. Their best chance was to keep the issue underground so that the speculation would last 3 months rather then 10. Ablett is now in a position where he has little option but to sign with the Cats or endure 10 months of media frenzy, speculation, peer pressure and innuendo as well as being seen as a destabilising influence on his team. Very little option but to sign the dotted line in my view.

The guy will be sufficiently set up if he stays at Geelong. 800k is a lot of money to most people but the difference between say 100k a year and 900 is a lot bigger in real terms than between 800k and 1.6 million.
Is there really that much difference between having say 5 million as against 10? Gaz will retire with atleast 5 mill worth of assets if he does stay at Geelong - I am sure it is enough for him to live how we wishes there after. What difference will an extra 5 million make? At that level of wealth you have enough choices and opportunities to live a great life and not have to worry about money. The rest is just greed. WTF is wrong with people!

Is there a precedent for a player openly saying in pre-season that he is leaving at the end of the year? What happens if Ablett says tomorrow that he is leaving in 2011? How can he play in 2010?

Again, if he doesn't re-sign the contract soon, what other explanation could there possibly be, apart from that he is leaving for the GC?

Whatever.... if he goes, he's a dick and I hope he does his knee. Like he doesn't have enough money already.
You will be an APPRENTICE forever

I do empathize with your club re: Ablett as Im sure we will have a similar situation again when Tippett is out of contract.

I guess the thing is how could you begrudge someone who is arguably going to be paid the highest ever in AFL history. This would set him for the rest of his life and Im only talking about his first contract with them. Sure money is not the be all and end all, but if he accepted a 4 year deal to be paid a king ransom I think any player regardless of mate ship, club loyalty, premiership chance and leaving home, would take it up as its only 4 years.

If I was Geelong I would look at setting up a football dynasty by demanding no less than 2 first round picks potentially two top 5 !!! That would mean you could remain at the top without plateauing out like clubs like Carlton Melbourne Saints etc.

I guess the thing is, the AFL world know nows he listened to an offer.......

The seed has been planted.
Just let me say a few things:

- Tippett is very smart. He avoids having to deal with being a big-name recruit at a time when the GC sucks, plus he doesn't have to deal with all the BS of being involved with a start-up club. He stays at Adelaide for a little while longer, gets a couple more opportunities at having competitive seasons with a decent Crows team. Then when GC are more established, if they are an attractive proposition then he can go up there for big cash. He is taking a lot of the risk out of his decision. Very smart.

- I am not sure that what you are suggesting re: rebuilding through high draft picks from an Ablett/GC deal is possible. I am no expert on the matter, but from what I can gather we will get stuff all compensation for losing Gaz. Certainly nothing like 2 top 5 picks, and certainly nowhere near what he is worth.

- The AFL world doesn't know that he has listened to an offer. He attended a meeting and not a single party from the meeting has commented on what was discussed. There might have been a ballpark offer discussed, there might not. It is all speculation.

- If he was presented with an offer, what does that actually mean to the rest of the AFL? What seed has been planted? That he is not a compete imbicile by refusing to listen to the deal of a lifetime? If I were other clubs, the last thing I would want is for Ablett to go to the GC, as it makes them a far more attractive option for other potential recruits.

I know that Gaz is the #1 name in the game these days, and that will generate interest and increase speculation. But the leaps that are being made from one story with very few details is quite staggering.

Knights told SEN he would be ''grossly disappointed'' if an Essendon player courted the Gold Coast like Ablett.
Mmm yes Gary courted the Gold Coast, nice one Jake.

Also, what do you think Pickering is telling him? As the manager, he gets 10-15% of his income. Do you think Pickering is brimming with loyalty right now, or is think about the EXTRA $400k he is going to make on this new deal?

the going rate is actually only 2-3% on a playing contract. managers make most of their money on endorsements

Mate, I completely agree. You've said it perfectly.:thumbsu:

THe rumour on the rumour file on 3aw this morning is that Ablett Snr is relocating to the GC! :eek:

Anyone have any thoughts on this......would this be a lure for jnr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back