List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What sort of $$ value is being reported as the offer now?

I heard over the weekend that GC keep bumping up the cash on offer and the amount I was told as being the offer is quite ludicrous (if correct, and I have no reason to doubt that it isn't)

I would suggest now that it has become about the principle of signing him as much as his playing ability.

What sort of $$ value is being reported as the offer now?

I heard over the weekend that GC keep bumping up the cash on offer and the amount I was told as being the offer is quite ludicrous (if correct, and I have no reason to doubt that it isn't)

We can't and won't match the direct contract offer. Anecdotally we have offered around $800k, while GC reputedly offered $1.6m.
But there are other business considerations that come into play to do with being a noted Geelong figure and a one club player over the long term.
Also, Frank Costa has pointed out that the tax and Agent's commission on the salary differential significantly erodes the gross margin between the 2 figures.

We can't and won't match the direct contract offer. Anecdotally we have offered around $800k, while GC reputedly offered $1.6m.
But there are other business considerations that come into play to do with being a noted Geelong figure and a one club player over the long term.
Also, Frank Costa has pointed out that the tax and Agent's commission on the salary differential significantly erodes the gross margin between the 2 figures.

I have heard that in his first year he will get significantly more than the reported GC offer you have given, but in years 2 & 3 that figure is close to the mark.

I have heard that in his first year he will get significantly more than the reported GC offer you have given, but in years 2 & 3 that figure is close to the mark.

Yes there is talk his first year would be 3mil.

Yes there is talk his first year would be 3mil.

If that is right that is absolutely ludicrus. From what I can see the cap next year will be $8.21 mill plus the GC get an extra $1 mill so to pay one player $3 mill out of $9.21 mill and have the remainding 47 players to get $6.21 mill between them doesn't really sound right, regardless of how good the player is.

I'm the opposite, I think it makes sense.

Is their list 48?

They have to spend the cap somehow.

I'm the opposite, I think it makes sense.

Is their list 48?

They have to spend the cap somehow.

Yeah, they get an extra 10 spots so have 48 as opposed to 38.

http://goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-media/news/out-to-make-their-mark/page-1/

Yeah, everyone talks about the pot of gold and the extra money in our salary cap. But we also have 10 extra players

Yeah, but to spend nearly a third of your payments on one player and have the other 47 scramble for whats left over seems more lopsided than normal.

Apart from the thread you're in, the original thread " Ablett-Gold Coast Chatter" is on page 2 of the Geelong Total Footy board in all it's 1,006 post glory.
You'll find every possible theory/speculation/lie and rebuttal possible in there.

Im offended you didn't mention hysteria and hand wringing, of which I am a master! :)

Im just going to have a bex and good lie down until October. (might get up to watch a bit of the granny)

On topic, a good number of those 47 GC players aren't going to be earning/worth the big bucks I suspect a fair few will be on the bottom end of the pay scale. It is going to be quite a lopsided team I think. A few $tars and a lot of kidlets.

Yeah, but to spend nearly a third of your payments on one player and have the other 47 scramble for whats left over seems more lopsided than normal.

I know what you are saying but this way they have the ability to not overpay kids who don't deserve it yet.

Then as Gazza's pay drops they can increases the pay to the keepers.

I always thought it was dumb that clubs like Melbourne and Richmond had to pay a bunch of kids so much. Unless Green and Bruce were paid 1 mil each, which I doubt.

It gives you no upside otherwise.

I know what you are saying but this way they have the ability to not overpay kids who don't deserve it yet.

Then as Gazza's pay drops they can increases the pay to the keepers.

I always thought it was dumb that clubs like Melbourne and Richmond had to pay a bunch of kids so much. Unless Green and Bruce were paid 1 mil each, which I doubt.

It gives you no upside otherwise.

I certainly recognise and agree that they will have more kids than every other club and hence more players on the base wage, but surely they will be looking to get a core 8-10 decentish players who will also be hoping to get at least $250k - $300k each which could take up to another $2.75 mill approx of the cap leaving the remaining 38ish players to share $3.46 mill which is 91k each. I'm not even sure what the minimum player payment is but that just seems waaaaay too lopsided. You do the sums and after you pay for Ablett and another 8 - 10 uncontracted players (I haven't even added in the $500k that Hunt is rumoured to be getting) and it has 80% of your list on the minimum wage in the first year.

It just seems too many eggs in one (or too few) basket (s). Imagine if the above scenario is right (Ablett goes and gets paid that) and Ablett gets injured. They will get smashed all over the park by everyone, because they simply wont have any depth due to paying one player nearly a third of the cap.

Of course all this would be a moot point if he just stayed with us but I can only dream...

It just seems too many eggs in one (or too few) basket (s). Imagine if the above scenario is right (Ablett goes and gets paid that) and Ablett gets injured. They will get smashed all over the park by everyone, because they simply wont have any depth due to paying one player nearly a third of the cap.

Of course all this would be a mute point if he just stayed with us but I can only dream...

Certainly would mute those Gold Coast big mouths (sorry I couldn't resist) :p

If that is right that is absolutely ludicrus. From what I can see the cap next year will be $8.21 mill plus the GC get an extra $1 mill so to pay one player $3 mill out of $9.21 mill and have the remainding 47 players to get $6.21 mill between them doesn't really sound right, regardless of how good the player is.

They have 9mil.

They can have up to 50 players I think on their list next year (although they've said they probably won't take that many, hence why Alex Keath is staying on their list).

Of that, around 3/4 will be kids (and keep in mind draftees get about 55k). So let's say for argument's sake you had 35 kids, that's still only about 200-250k or thereabouts. And campaigner's salary is not included in the cap. We don't know how much they're offering players from other clubs, but even accounting for that, they could easily offer Gazza 2 million or more in the first year if they wanted. And the more it looks like he's wavering on going, I'm guessing the more they'll offer to try and get him.

They have 9mil.

They can have up to 50 players I think on their list next year (although they've said they probably won't take that many, hence why Alex Keath is staying on their list).

Of that, around 3/4 will be kids (and keep in mind draftees get about 55k). So let's say for argument's sake you had 35 kids, that's still only about 200-250k or thereabouts. And campaigner's salary is not included in the cap. We don't know how much they're offering players from other clubs, but even accounting for that, they could easily offer Gazza 2 million or more in the first year if they wanted. And the more it looks like he's wavering on going, I'm guessing the more they'll offer to try and get him.

More like $1.925m

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be a good move by the GC. Building a team around one player has always been a great success in AFL.

Sure, Carlton and Judd, I hear you say. But Carlton never had a player of Karmichael Hunt's ability to back up Judd.

Surely, money well spent.

He didn't specify a date and time. Tune into SEN at about 10.00am Friday August 6....

KB: "Sounds like big news coming out of the cattery. A press conference has been called for 2.00pm. We're hearing rumours young Gaz has re-signed. Great news for the Cats going into tomorrow nights block-buster and for the finals if it's true".

I still dont think it will happen LOL.

He didn't specify a date and time. Tune into SEN at about 10.00am Friday August 6....

KB: "Sounds like big news coming out of the cattery. A press conference has been called for 2.00pm. We're hearing rumours young Gaz has re-signed. Great news for the Cats going into tomorrow nights block-buster and for the finals if it's true".
Still waiting... :p

No one really knows if Gazza is going to stay or not. One week i think he'll stay, the next week i think he'll go. Don't read too much into this story, most of it is probably bull****. There were also reports that Gazza was going to announce his decision before the finals series, again i find it hard to believe that.

Guy McKenna is wishing on a star aswell!!!:eek:

Is this actually logical?

Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna says Gary Ablett is more likely to leave Geelong if they claim their third AFL premiership in four years – which is why he will be praying for the Cats to win the lot.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2010/08/05/mckenna-prays-for-geelong-premiership/
See, I don't get this. I would say if (and its a sizeable if) we claim our 3rd premiership in 4 years, wouldn't Gaz be more inclined to stick around and potentially be part of the greatest team of the modern era, and possibly ever?

I would think any results this year would have little bearing on his decision, unless we bombed out in straight sets/a prelim and he thinks our time is done.

See, I don't get this. I would say if (and its a sizeable if) we claim our 3rd premiership in 4 years, wouldn't Gaz be more inclined to stick around and potentially be part of the greatest team of the modern era, and possibly ever?

I would think any results this year would have little bearing on his decision, unless we bombed out in straight sets/a prelim and he thinks our time is done.

Good point. Unless Ablett's looking at it the same way Moons did earlier in they year, saying this is our last shot at it, etc.

This is all about money so it's strange why Pickering categorically stated that a 3rd party deal wouldn't make a difference in Gary staying or going. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back