Review Abysmal Dogs Lose To Port 102-54

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don’t know what people see in Gallagah. Not quick, not a good ball user, doesn’t win his own footy, not a good defensive mid.
2nd for tackles, 8th for pressure acts, 1st for sprints, 2nd for repeat sprints, 1st for distance at high speed and 1st for offensive work rate. He makes mistakes but works a lot harder than Bailey Williams who was invisible yesterday. Only options in the VFL for his wing spot are Baker and Poulter, neither of which are any better

Once a commentator pointed out his propensity for going for marks one handed a few weeks ago, you can't un-see it. He was even doing it when out of position and flying for chest marks. That he eventually got one and then missed a relatively easy shot shouldn't encourage him to keep doing it. He needs to eradicate this from his game pronto. I dont care if he does it at Footscray or with the Bulldogs. Just as long as he does it.

Whilst on the subject of JUH. He's prone to voicing his frustrations at teammates for their abysmal delivery and thats fair enough. I yell at them too for the same. However, when presented an opportunity to kick it to a teammate i50 its probably best if you dont kick it oob as JUH did today. Live by the i50 delivery sword die by the i50 delivery sword.

The likelihood of Khamis lining up on Curnow increased exponentially with today's injuries. Not something that I look forward to.
The one-handed thing is not great, but in the past few weeks he's been running under the ball by about a metre and launching backwards to try and correct his positioning. It's arguably a worse trait.
His timing is just off and no amount of baking his teammates is going to fix that. His effort is mostly there, and his kicking for goal is diabolical. I would seriously get him higher up the ground at times just to get him some easy leads & marks. Isolate Darcy in the F50 because his timing is exceptional and he's good for a chopping the arms free every single game just from sheer height & defender panic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one-handed thing is not great, but in the past few weeks he's been running under the ball by about a metre and launching backwards to try and correct his positioning. It's arguably a worse trait.
His timing is just off and no amount of baking his teammates is going to fix that. His effort is mostly there, and his kicking for goal is diabolical. I would seriously get him higher up the ground at times just to get him some easy leads & marks. Isolate Darcy in the F50 because his timing is exceptional and he's good for a chopping the arms free every single game just from sheer height & defender panic.

Yes, exactly what I thought.

He’s not going to out muscle opponents, so he best chance is to lead at the ball.

Why they try and use him as the deep forward is a mystery.

Darcy out in the square is the obvious option.

Jeremy Cameron is the type of role they should be looking at for Jamarra and Naughton.

There were excuses and reasons.

McNeil has not yet taken his opportunity at senior level - he offers what we need but can’t deliver it. Those handling errors have occurred every time he plays. This is a mental thing - under pressure he panics. García would have been a much better choice - particularly when we would have known that Port would use speed around the ball. Garcia in the guts and Bont forward would have been where most of us would have gone. But I am not sure McNeil was even the worst player.

Injuries before and after the game hurt us. Jones is arguably our most important player behind Bont and provides a solution to one of our biggest weaknesses- intercept marking. But being in Coffield and Khamis and Lobb after one game is a lot of change in what you want as a settled backline.

JOD injured in the game then had both regular KPDs out of the game with young Freijah moving into the 2nd tall with Khamis.

Then, When Naughton went down we tried to move our only tall that was doh g OK, Lobb forward to give a spark but it didn’t work and he was quickly moved back.

Was a windy day but neither Darcy or JUH played well and with Flea out they started to get into each others way and that enable ZerkThatcher to just push one I to the other over and over and get what looked like uncontested marks. This is dangerous and ridiculous that the AFL hasn’t got on top of it.

Harmes has been really good and gives us an edge but also pulled out just before the game.

With all that being a coach would suck - that’s a lot of sh!t going wrong.

But these are excuses not reasons.

Port set a trap to use the speed with high speed handballs in a keeping’s off way. This was obvious but also positive and gave them energy - how many times were they backing themselves and ended up free and in front?

We were not fast enough nor did we push the game to our strengths - we don’t have a defensive gear we did not step up and respond - where we can up the pressure and tackling to elite levels and change the direction.

Not going to bother with a detailed good and the bad like I usually do. We all watched that tripe.

Will do the same ****ing dot points AS ALWAYS in short form.

• The difference between the good and the bad with this mob is staggering.
  • "million dollar players" that can't execute basic kicking for goal.
  • Team way too tall. No speed and compete for groundballs. No forward press. Stop with the team of trees.
  • Some tough trades need to be made to fix composition.
  • How does Garcia not make THAT team.

This team is too nice and has literally zero killer instinct. I'd be looking at some sort of combination of changes with captaincy, coach, and list manager in the offseason. Complete lack of balance in the list composition and the consequences for poor play are non-existent.

Why we are saddling bontempelli with captaining this bunch of pansies is beyond me. Maybe he's too nice as well. Who knows. Unfortunately I don't really see any young player with half a heart or a brain to replace him.

Let's see if they show anything against carlton but in all honesty I have very little faith left. I'll be looking around for bulldogs jumpers in the crowd to identify fellow footy masochists next week.

Disagree that his effort is there.

His first effort is laclustre and his second effort is non-existent at present.

There is clearly something that isn't right with him becuase he's demonstrated previously that he can apply the level of intensity required.

Why we are saddling bontempelli with captaining this bunch of pansies is beyond me. Maybe he's too nice as well. Who knows. Unfortunately I don't really see any young player with half a heart or a brain to replace him.
I was initially too much of a pansy to post about it but I was only thinking the same myself this morning.

But you’ve got to get comfortable with doing the uncomfortable, so is it time for us to be questioning the captaincy? No one is doubting Bont is an absolute star. But does he have it in him to look players in the eye and say their performance has been unacceptable? Has he got it in him to take Jamarra aside and tell him to pull his head in, show some respect not only to his teammates but to himself? Has he got it in him to get angry about where we are on the ladder?

He seems nice.

But nice isn’t what we need right now.

Yes, exactly what I thought.

He’s not going to out muscle opponents, so he best chance is to lead at the ball.

Why they try and use him as the deep forward is a mystery.

Darcy out in the square is the obvious option.

Jeremy Cameron is the type of role they should be looking at for Jamarra and Naughton.

It’s almost like our forwards coach doesn’t have a clue about structure in that part of the ground, and just forward play in general.

I was initially too much of a pansy to post about it but I was only thinking the same myself this morning.

But you’ve got to get comfortable with doing the uncomfortable, so is it time for us to be questioning the captaincy? No one is doubting Bont is an absolute star. But does he have it in him to look players in the eye and say their performance has been unacceptable? Has he got it in him to take Jamarra aside and tell him to pull his head in, show some respect not only to his teammates but to himself? Has he got it in him to get angry about where we are on the ladder?

He seems nice.

But nice isn’t what we need right now.
This team needs a McRae style coach to put a bit of fear back in.

Probably a yeet Grundy style move too.

Everyone is far too comfortable.

It’s almost like our forwards coach doesn’t have a clue about structure in that part of the ground, and just forward play in general.

The structure changes non stop with weird selection and structual decisions. We STILL don't know our best set up or best 22.

That's my main gripe with Beveridge.

Agree mate. Are our docs overly cautious because concussion symptoms from that is a joke.
One of the female commentators ( can’t remember which one sorry) on Ch 7 last night said he failed a concussion test. If true it is out of the doctors hands and the doctor followed the rules just as he is required to do. It was an innocuous incident but rules are rules.

The structure changes non stop with weird selection and structual decisions. We STILL don't know our best set up or best 22.

That's my main gripe with Beveridge.
We started the best contested marking forward in the league in the ruck for no reason.

It will be an interesting watch.

I've been happy enough with him. He still looks like a guy who hasn't got used to the speed and handballs too often. We'll know more about him when he realises that he has more time and learns to run and carry.
Think he'll be a good player.

And we will see what progress he has made when the team starts playing consistently better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Abysmal Dogs Lose To Port 102-54

Remove this Banner Ad

Back