Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Walter is a monster, messed up a kick and just hunted the opposition and caught them htb.

He looks like a man playing boys physically, but the skills and even more the work rate in defence is so promising. And forward line with him, King and Luko is going to be amazing.
Hardwick will be licking his lips.

Sent from my CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rogers impressive
Commentators talked up Read as well. Saying he was best on for the Allies. Fair to say he'll probably be a top 10 pick after that game.

Walter ends the game with 3 goals for anyone that's wondering.

Shoutout to former Broadbeach/Southport junior Levi Ashcroft as well who had a decent game for Vic Metro as a bottom ager. Will be a high end pick next year.

I rushed to start this at the end of the first quarter when I thought we were about to witness one of the all time great Champs performances. Unfortunately he faded out after that and spent the rest of the game giving away free kicks. Still... that first quarter was electric.

Read with another 25 touches ( and uses them) is like having another midfielder out there. His ruckwork is still questionable but if he can atleast breakeven in ruckwork he could be a weapon around the ground. Would still love to see him play a full game at chb. Wasn't sold on Rogers being a first rounder before today but he was sublime today, always has quick hands in tight but really broke through stoppages to create goals and even kicked one himself. Walter is just incredible the way he attacks the ball and player. He's an absolute wrecking ball and sometimes leads to free kicks against but once he gets a bit smarter with how to use his aggression he's going to be a force at afl level. The forgotten man will Graham is definitely worth a spot too.

Read with another 25 touches ( and uses them) is like having another midfielder out there. His ruckwork is still questionable but if he can atleast breakeven in ruckwork he could be a weapon around the ground. Would still love to see him play a full game at chb. Wasn't sold on Rogers being a first rounder before today but he was sublime today, always has quick hands in tight but really broke through stoppages to create goals and even kicked one himself. Walter is just incredible the way he attacks the ball and player. He's an absolute wrecking ball and sometimes leads to free kicks against but once he gets a bit smarter with how to use his aggression he's going to be a force at afl level. The forgotten man will Graham is definitely worth a spot too.
Some onlookers are now saying our academy trio will all be top 10 picks. Unfathomable at the beginning of the year but another strong performance from all three next week against Vic Country in what should be the Allies' first ever National Championship win will most likely confirm top 10 status for them all. This could very well be the draft class that sets us up for the next decade so I'm hoping we make the most of it and draft as much high end talent as possible.

By the way, I agree that Graham is definitely worthy of a list spot and I thought Finn Hay showed potential in our VFL game today too. Walter, Read, Graham and Hay are '05 PBC juniors and all look like draftable talent to me. There could very well be another PBC invasion on our list this year. These four would have some serious cohesion with one another and that could be massive for us in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5a0162a2819ce21a48b3f5b8c2232a82.jpg

Close to BOG in a big Allies win. I'm still not sure if he's a full time ruck at the next level, his game seems suited to being an intercept marking defender to me.

Is Ethan Read the biggest ever midfielder? Wtf

Suns-tied ruckman Ethan Read (25 disposals, 15 hitouts, nine marks) also looms as a potential top-five selection, while diminutive midfielder Jake Rogers (25 disposals, seven clearances) was another to be highly influential as he kept establishing his first-round credentials.

This was on AFL.com.au yesterday. Read's stocks are rising rapidly to the point that external sources now think he could be a top 5 pick. Having two talls come through our academy and be bid on with top 5 picks in the same draft class is basically a dream scenario for any AFL club. Even more remarkable is the fact that these two have been playing alongside each other since the U10s level at Palm Beach Currumbin.

Cannot believe how good Read's kicking is for a 17 year old "ruck man".

Never seen anything like this kid before.

He is going to be Super Saiyan Tim English.
Still does too many short 10-15m kicks when a handball will do IMO. He won’t have as much time to get ball to foot in the AFL as he does in the U18s. Looks to have a very good handball on him too so I’m not sure why?

Thought this was worth sharing from the U16s National Championships taking place on the Gold Coast at the moment. U18 GC academy participants Addinsall, Murray and Uwland were the standouts in the our U16 academy's big 10-goal win over Tasmania. Addinsall had a huge game including five goals and 24 disposals while playing as an inside mid.

Beau Addinsall - Midfielder/Forward - 179cm (Broadbeach)

The star of the show with five goals from 24 touches, Addinsall did it all in a fine attacking display from the Suns. He started in midfield but spent plenty of time inside 50, offering the same effort on either line by burrowing in at the contest and looking to find a way forward. Addinsall snared the first goal of the game and finished nicely from a variety of chances, while also generating opportunities for teammates. His intent was always positive and it showed in the stats.

Jai Murray - Midfielder - 184cm (Broadbeach)

Leading all comers with 28 disposals, six marks and six inside 50s, Murray was polished as ever in his usual mid-forward rotation. The smooth mover was clean with just about every touch and had little trouble finding possession in all parts of the ground. Murray’s running goal in the third quarter showed a glimpse of his class as one of Gold Coast’s true prime movers.

Zeke Uwland - Wing - 176cm (Burleigh)

It was business as usual for Uwland, who reprised his role on the wing. He is usually ultra efficient by foot and while the radar was a touch off at times, he managed to hit the target with two goals in the second quarter. Uwland was threatening in attack, but also diligent to help navigate play out of the defensive half. A couple of handy features of Uwland’s game included his deceptively good overhead marking and strong core to shake tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back