Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1731071

Looks like Kalani will be heading to the Dees

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It will be up to the player in the end. If he tells Melbourne he doesn't want to go there and wants the Suns, unlikely Melbourne force him.

He may of course prefer to go to Melbourne.

Assume this means that F/S rights supersede Academy rights? Or are they equal and the player picks?

Assume this means that F/S rights supersede Academy rights? Or are they equal and the player picks?

It's usually up to the player.

Like the Nick Blakey situation a few years back, his father John played for North Melbourne, but Nick was a member of the Swans academy.

Nick chose the Swans over North.

The same for Bailey Scott as well, had ties to Geelong and North and was a Suns academy player and chose North.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It will be up to the player in the end. If he tells Melbourne he doesn't want to go there and wants the Suns, unlikely Melbourne force him.

He may of course prefer to go to Melbourne.

Probably read into that message that the kid already has a preference as to what he wants to do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Push him out of the clubs academy now.
Make him Move to Melbourne if he wants to play with the dees
And then other AFL players living on the GC with talented sons/dauthers don't send their kids to the academy.

And the academy is potentially weakened, which effects the development of other players we can take.

Pretty petty and short-sighted suggestion.

So we put… 100k into developing him in our academy for the next handful of years only for him to choose the Demons…

Whilst another poor GC kid doesn’t get the opportunity to be a part of our academy due to White holding that position.

Doesn’t seem fair to me

Last edited:
So we put… 100k into developing him in our academy for the next handful of years only for him to choose the Demons…

Whilst another poor GC kid doesn’t get the opportunity to be a part of our academy due to White holding that position.

Doesn’t seem fair to me

The government should force him to move to Melbourne. On his own. Without his parents.

Unless he is the best junior in the land and then we will take a chance on him. I mean, if he was Harley Reid quality then we would let him stay on the off chance he changes his mind or picks us b/c he wants to stay and play with his mates. Teenagers never change their mind I am reliably informed, and always do what their parents want.

Doesn’t seem fair to me
Would you exclude all future kids who are F/S eligible from the academy?

What is the intake each year at the lowest age range?

The "poor GC kid" would have been outside that group but for White.

Doesn’t seem fair to me

Sorry where did you get this 100k figure from?

First things first, let's be clear on the rules here. Kalani White will have to elect one of two options in his draft year which are F/S access to the Demons or academy access to the Suns. There is no superseding. Both clubs have equal rights to the player and it comes down to the player's preference. We've seen it go both ways with Nick Blakey choosing the Swans academy over North & Brisbane's F/S access and Bailey Scott choosing North's F/S access over the Suns' academy.

Even if it seems like Kalani is committed to the Dees right now, it doesn't mean he won't change his mind at some point over the next 2.5 years. If we're playing finals by that stage and Melbourne's window has closed then you never know what an 18 year old might want from his footy career. Plus, having him in the academy probably makes our team better and that has a flow on effect for other players we do have access and there's always the opportunity to do a Lachie Weller and come back home later in his career.

Doesn’t seem fair to me
$100k? That's awfully generous and I don't think it's true at all. My understanding is we only spend about $500-600k on the entire program from u12s through to U18s.

Would you exclude all future kids who are F/S eligible from the academy?
I know this isn't your suggestion but that would be one of the silliest things we could ever do. There are so many ex AFL players living on the Gold Coast and this is just something we have to live with and hope we can convince a few of us to choose us instead of their F/S club. Imagine missing out on a player like Nick Blakey because you're salty about missing out on a kid that may not even be good enough to be drafted. It's like saying we should have kicked Lachie Weller out of our academy as soon as we found out we didn't have access to him. Ridiculous.

Beau Addinsall named player of the carnival, so would assume he is walk up start for U16 AA selection.
Exciting stuff! This should mean Addinsall will have earned back-to-back AA honours at both the U15 & U16 levels. Sounds like an absolute jet in the making and joins what is now becoming a long list of highly talented local juniors coming through our academy. It'll be interesting to follow Addinsall's first U18 season next year and see if he can get into the Allies team as a bottom ager. Hopefully Jai Murray also gets named in the U16 AA team so he can join Addinsall as dual AAs at the U15s and U16s levels.

I know this isn't your suggestion
Correct

but that would be one of the silliest things we could ever do. There are so many ex AFL players living on the Gold Coast and this is just something we have to live with and hope we can convince a few of us to choose us instead of their F/S club. Imagine missing out on a player like Nick Blakey because you're salty about missing out on a kid that may not even be good enough to be drafted. It's like saying we should have kicked Lachie Weller out of our academy as soon as we found out we didn't have access to him.
Agreed

Ridiculous.
Yes

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back