Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

When's he draftable?
Next year I think. Couldn't really find much but I'm pretty sure he played in an under 17s game recently.

If he turns out to be a good player, we've basically confirmed that we've got the currency to pick up Essem, Scheer, and Bowes. Huzzah

Can confirm Jesse Esam is in the Suns academy.

Jesse ESAM
4/06/1998
188cm
87kgs
Broadbeach

Draftable next year. Apparently played 2 QAFL games last year and kicked 5 goals in each game.

Last edited:

Jesse ESAM
4/06/1998
188cm
87kgs
Broadbeach

Draftable next year. Apparently played 2 QAFL games next year and kicked 5 goals in each game.
Awesome. Sounds like we are going to have a good NEAFL team next year!

Jesse ESAM
4/06/1998
188cm
87kgs
Broadbeach

Draftable next year. Apparently played 2 QAFL games last year and kicked 5 goals in each game.
Can't find anywhere that he has played any higher than QAFL Colts - kicked some goals but what was the quality of opposition. At 188 would he be draftable as a KPF ? Hasn't set world on fire at rep level in the past - only a couple of 2 goal efforts at state and academy level.....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Conor was up to be drafted this year ?
This is West's draft year - DOB 30/12/1997. He played as an over-ager at 16's carnival 2014. Because he hasn't been invited to State Combine later this month thinking is he's unlikely to get drafted.

Last edited:
This is West's draft year - DOB 30/12/1997. He played as an over-ager at 16's carnival 2014. Because he hasn't been invited to State Combine later this month thinking is he's unlikely to get drafted.
From what I can see he's a pretty small dude. He's born with literally one day remaining in 1997, so I'm not sure if he's physically ready to enter the draft. I'd rather see him develop further in 2016, get a bigger body and polish his skills, so we can pick him up next year.

From what I can see he's a pretty small dude. He's born with literally one day remaining in 1997, so I'm not sure if he's physically ready to enter the draft. I'd rather see him develop further in 2016, get a bigger body and polish his skills, so we can pick him up next year.
Maybe he will get a run as an over-ager again this year ....

Next year I think. Couldn't really find much but I'm pretty sure he played in an under 17s game recently.

If he turns out to be a good player, we've basically confirmed that we've got the currency to pick up Essem, Scheer, and Bowes. Huzzah

A year is a long time at this age as well , another player might pop up out of the blue like Budarick did this year. At the start of this year i would of thought we would be drafting Woosup in the upcoming draft , but things change quickly at this age.

Maybe he will get a run as an over-ager again this year ....
I've noticed a few people born in 1996 who are tipped to get picked up in this draft, so him staying back another year definitely wouldn't be an issue. Would be good for us.

I've noticed a few people born in 1996 who are tipped to get picked up in this draft, so him staying back another year definitely wouldn't be an issue. Would be good for us.
How and who decides players selected as AFLQ over-agers. My understanding is that numbers are limited and preference is given to those that have not had previous opportunity or have had mitigating circumstances (injury etc). ....
In West's case - Could they use his birth date and relative immaturity as reason for having a second chance ?
He could still be drafted 2016 without playing in Queensland rep team but thinking that would be unlikely...

Last edited:
State Combine Results - some pretty good efforts put in by Budarick and Joyce. Maybe rookies ???

http://www.aflq.com.au/queenslanders-on-top-at-state-combine/
Man, Budarick is a cut above the rest. If we don't get him as a rookie I'll be shattered.

I wouldn't even mind drafting him as a late pick in the national draft if we nominated him as an academy player (maybe he's not eligible?) - he's shown a ****load more promise than Gorringe or Tape going forward.

Confirm we have a freak of a player..
Shhh don't tell any1
Bowes is close to the best Queensland prospect in the last 5 years. So clean and composed. Nice height and should have played in the u18 carnival if not for injury. Scheer is one of the best contested ball winners in this draft. Ollie wines like. Marsden is good as a smallish outside midfielder but needs to improve output.

Bowes is close to the best Queensland prospect in the last 5 years. So clean and composed. Nice height and should have played in the u18 carnival if not for injury. Scheer is one of the best contested ball winners in this draft. Ollie wines like. Marsden is good as a smallish outside midfielder but needs to improve output.
Agree re Bowes and Scheer - not sure about Marsden. Soon see how they really measure up - AFL today announced an Allies side will compete in Div1 at Champs this year.....maybe why Suns banked so many future picks at recent trade draft..
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-28/best-of-the-best-kids-to-faceoff-in-rejig-of-under18s

Agree re Bowes and Scheer - not sure about Marsden. Soon see how they really measure up - AFL today announced an Allies side will compete in Div1 at Champs this year.....maybe why Suns banked so many future picks at recent trade draft..
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-28/best-of-the-best-kids-to-faceoff-in-rejig-of-under18s
The Div 2 allies team is great. Bowes will probably play off half back and Scheer in the middle. There are 7 draft talents for NSW, 4 for Tasmania, 3 for NT and 5 for Queensland who i rate highly for next year. The year after aswell for the gold coast looks strong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back