Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know if Valentino Beynon is a part of our academy? He is a ruckman from what I hear. The reason I ask is because he is the son of the famous Candyman and I think it would be interesting to see us draft him.
I'd not draft him based purely on his father.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd not draft him based purely on his father.

He's a ruckman from southport so there is probably a fair chance he is in our academy. His old (candy) man was a fair player himself for southport. He was drafted by the kangaroos back in the day. Could you imagine the candy man rocking up to games at metricon? hahaha

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/club_...ID=56376&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=29541710

That link says Valentino Beynon was in the gold coast under 16s team in 2014. I guess that means he's draft eligible in 2016.

http://www.aflq.com.au/queensland-football-awards-wrap-2/

That link says he was voted the best under 19/colts player in south Queensland this year even though he's only 17 at the oldest. It sounds like he can play!

Maybe Beynon is the third academy player we are looking at for next year with Bowes and Scheer?

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?pID=197501541

Holy shit! That page says he kicked 44 goals in 17 games this year for the southport under 19s! That's very impressive for a 17 year old. No wonder he was voted the best and fairest in the under 19s league! I think we could definitely use a goal kicking ruckman. He could even be that third tall goal kicker we've been looking for. Does anyone know his height?

He's a ruckman from southport so there is probably a fair chance he is in our academy. His old (candy) man was a fair player himself for southport. He was drafted by the kangaroos back in the day. Could you imagine the candy man rocking up to games at metricon? hahaha
I know this is a serious discussion, but the old man is a first-class toxic narcissist, with a healthy dash of misogyny thrown in. Family culture absolutely plays into the drafting decision these days, and given our own culture problems I'd acknowledge his talent, move him along and never look back.

You'd think the apple has fallen moderately close to the tree.

Last edited:
I know this is a serious discussion, but the old man is a first-class toxic narcissist, with a healthy dash of misogyny thrown in. Family culture absolutely plays into the drafting decision these days, and given our own culture problems I'd acknowledge his talent, move him along and never look back.

You'd think the apple has fallen moderately close to the tree.

No offence, but it's pretty immature to completely dismiss a local's talent based solely on who is father is. Unless you know something about the young lad personally unrelated to his family, I think we get the point.

No offence, but it's pretty immature to completely dismiss a local's talent based solely on who is father is. Unless you know something about the young lad personally unrelated to his family, I think we get the point.

Yeah Ablett Snr had all sorts of off field issues as well , but cant see anyone begruding that , cant blame the kid who his father is.

Psychologically that sort of home-life is extremely dangerous for a child, and a reliable indicator of future behavioral issues. That's not speculation. Nor is it immature. The first thing we did this year was post wholesome photos of our kid's families... I bet a little research was done.

Unless of course you're the son of the AFL's greatest ever player

Psychologically that sort of home-life is extremely dangerous for a child, and a reliable indicator of future behavioral issues. That's not speculation. Nor is it immature. The first thing we did this year was post wholesome photos of our kid's families... I bet a little research was done.

Unless of course you're the son of the AFL's greatest ever player

Think your reading a lot into the "candymans" lifestyle , what ive heard a lot of it is staged for publicity , and that is what hes getting in spades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So with Jarrad Harbrow's new academy, what happens to the players in the academy? Do they go to us or can they be drafted by any team?

I found it weird the placements, in particularly:

• Melbourne - Ainsworth and Sympkin - top 10 players and the Demons won't have a pick in the top 20 unless they trade out Jesse Hogan
  • Hawthorn and Western Bulldogs taking nobody while some other Vic teams are taking 2 players

From memory we had Ben Crocker training with us last year , who was from vic.

So with Jarrad Harbrow's new academy, what happens to the players in the academy? Do they go to us or can they be drafted by any team?
Harbrow sets up indigenous academy
GOLD Coast has established the Jarrod Harbrow Leadership academy to help elite indigenous athletes from the region.

The Suns veteran has secured $20,000 from the AFL through the Jim Stynes scholarship fund to establish the body, which is aligned with the Suns' academy.

Every indigenous player on the Suns' list will be involved in the academy as coaches and mentors, and Harbrow has struck a deal will see every academy member get the same access to facilities, strength and conditioning and health professionals that he enjoys as an AFL footballer.

The first combine was held last weekend and there will be another in early January before the initial intake is selected prior to next season.

“We are after the cream of the crop of young indigenous talent from the Gold Coast from a range of different sports," Harbrow said.

"We will bring kids into the academy and teach them leadership, teach them to make good decisions on and off the field and how to represent themselves and their family in the community."

Harbrow has seen a number of indigenous players come and go in his time at the Suns, including Harley Bennell, who was traded to Fremantle, and Timmy Sumner, who walked out early last season with homesickness.

He has a strong relationship with local indigenous groups, forged over many hours of fishing on the Tweed River, and will call on them to assist with the academy.

"We know when young indigenous kids get drafted to an AFL club they get a bit star struck. It takes them longer to adapt and the academy aims to prepare them for that," he said.
It's aligned with the Suns' academy. It's great to see the local indigenous group (Yugambeh people) be given the opportunity to use professional facilities as well as other indigenous people who have moved to the Gold Coast. It's also interesting to read their plans to incorporate indigenous kids from all sports, not just Aussie rules. I think the idea is to expose these indigenous kids to Aussie rules in the hope that they may fall in love with the game but they won't prevent them from continuing to play another sport if that's what they choose to do. It's about providing the indigenous youth with the correct resources to succeed in whatever it is they want to do.

You have to commend Harbrow for his efforts to genuinely make a difference for indigenous Queenslanders. I remember him saying that was one of the big reasons he signed with the Suns. The work he's doing in the local indigenous community reminds me of what Preston Campbell did years ago. This goes beyond producing AFL talent. This is about creating a pathway for the indigenous youth to have a better life. I can't wait to see the first local indigenous player drafted to the Suns as a result of this academy.

Port Adelaide runs a very similar Aboriginal academy and had its first player drafted into the AFL this year (Wayne Milera).

I found it weird the placements, in particularly:

• Melbourne - Ainsworth and Sympkin - top 10 players and the Demons won't have a pick in the top 20 unless they trade out Jesse Hogan
  • Hawthorn and Western Bulldogs taking nobody while some other Vic teams are taking 2 players
Will they be top 10 ? . - or just small fowards that Melbourne might be interested in ?
Time will tell ... not much known about this group yet. They say a week ...(YEAR) ...is a long time in football......
Some names mentioned now will only be afterthoughts come next November.​

Last edited:
Sympkin - TBH I don't know, he is rated though

Ainsworth and Berry were the only under agers to make the All-Australian team (on-the-field)

Ainsworth - he looked powerful even against the best kids a year older then him. In a star studded Vic Country team he was put into a forward pocket and starred. I'm sure given his height he will be asked/wanting to play midfield and press his claims as a multi faceted player - hopefully a forward/mid like Chad Wingard/Robbie Gray/Luke Dalhaus type.

Berry - I was thinking who he reminded me of and it came to me - Darren Millane - powerhouse running midfielder

Weidemen, Ah Chee, Curnow, Burton ... all did sweet FA this year and still got picked up in top 15

When you've shown enough as a bottom age player that can be all the the recruiters need to see.

At this stage Ainsworth and Berry could even be be better off having some injury that could keep them out of footy next year (on the proviso that it won't impact on their future career - e.g. broken arm) as their draft stock can only go down by playing poorly next year as they have shown enough to go top 10 next year by doing nothing else.

Same reason Dante Exum didn't play College basketball - his stock wasn't getting any higher by showing anyone his weaknesses.

From that video, Bowes looks to be around the 6'2-6'3 mark. Very similar size to Brendon Goddard. If he continues to grow then I guess he can become a third tall utility but if he stays around the size he is now then you probably let him continue to be an inside midfielder. If the Prestia/O'Meara rumours are true then you'd be hoping he doesn't get much taller.

Bemused by this comment. If he gets taller to say 192cm or so he's still a midfielder if he can play midfield. From what I've seen he looks very much a midfielder. Id be less surprised to see Scheer play as a tall. Height doesn't matter if you have the goods. Just look at Bontempelli and Cripps who are both 192-193cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bemused by this comment. If he gets taller to say 192cm or so he's still a midfielder if he can play midfield. From what I've seen he looks very much a midfielder. Id be less surprised to see Scheer play as a tall. Height doesn't matter if you have the goods. Just look at Bontempelli and Cripps who are both 192-193cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wasn't suggesting 1-2cms is going to change his position. I was more so saying if he were to grow another 5-6cms then he may be too tall for the midfield. He looks like he's already around the 190cm mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back