Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think Read is being picked up with ruckman in mind. Still think he's a key fwd or back who plays as 2nd ruck.
Yes, which is why I compared him more to an Andrew type, and why he could potentially go higher in the draft (like Andrew did).

Having said that, I liked Andrew’s highlights a bit more than Read’s so far. Read’s a neat kick and his athleticism at ground level is nice, but aerially needs a bit more work. He doesn’t scream top 10 to me. In saying that, he still has the year to put his package together.

It’s certainly a good problem to have, I suppose.

Read is the prototype young ruckman.

Hes a ruckman.

Hes very tall, fast, very mobile, has a big motor, catches the ball well,

You reckon Spida Everitt is teaching him Wingcraft?

SUNS Academy begin Under 18 Performance Program​

The GC SUNS Academy is continuing its commitment to best preparing its up-and-coming Gold Coast talent for the demands of AFL football with an Under 18 Performance Program beginning on Tuesday night.

The 11-week program, first implemented in 2022, includes a hand-picked selection of 14 Academy players aged between 17 and 19 years and is designed to give young players a taste of what the professional environment is like, including a week immersed in the club’s AFL program.

SUNS Academy Under 18 Male Performance Program Members
Matthew Evans
Will Graham
Finlay Gray
Lachlan Gulbin
Joe Kennedy
Zai Millane
Caleb Nancarrow
Ethan Read
Jake Rogers
Jed Walter
Nick Williams
Oscar Wood
Josh Zanker-Close

Some familiar names included in our confirmed U16s academy team this year. The first would be #3 Josh Watters who is of course the son of former West Coast, Sydney & Fremantle player and ex St Kilda coach Scott Watters. The Watters family have been based in our zone since early 2021 so Josh will meet the residential criteria to be eligible for academy drafting and the big positive for us is that Scott never played over 100 games for any of those teams so Josh isn't father-son tied to any other club. Another familiar name is #27 Kalani White who is the son of 200+ game former Demon Jeff White so Kalani is one that we will have to compete for if we want to keep him in the red and gold. #29 Taj Lockett is Tony Lockett's nephew for anyone wondering.

We already know about #4 Zeke Uwland (Bodhi's brother), #8 Beau Addinsall and #9 Jai Murray from their participation in our 18s program this year and we'd expect to see them having solid U16s campaigns this year. Looking at the names, one that really stood out to me was 15yo #32 Ethan Johnstone who is already 202cm! Another is the only bottom ager in the team #16 Archie Hill who is probably one to keep an eye on as well. The team their first game of the year this Sunday against the Lions academy at their Springfield ground. The remaining games against Tasmania and the Swans academy will be played at Heritage and at the Southport Sharks.

uctof5U.png

Last edited:
Some familiar names included in our confirmed U16s academy team this year. The first would be #3 Josh Watters who is of course the son of former West Coast, Sydney & Fremantle player and ex St Kilda coach Scott Watters. The Watters family have been based in our zone since early 2021 so Josh will meet the residential criteria to be eligible for academy drafting and the big positive for us is that Scott never played over 100 games for any of those teams so Josh isn't father-son tied to any other club. Another familiar name is #27 Kalani White who is the son of 200+ game former Demon Jeff White so Kalani is one that we will have to compete for if we want to keep him in the red and gold. #29 Taj Lockett is Tony Lockett's nephew for anyone wondering.

We already know about #4 Zeke Uwland (Bodhi's brother), #8 Beau Addinsall and #9 Jai Murray from their participation in our 18s program this year and we'd expect to see them having solid U16s campaigns this year. Looking at the names, one that really stood out to me was 15yo #32 Ethan Johnstone who is already 202cm! Another is the only bottom ager in the team #16 Archie Hill who is probably one to keep an eye on as well. The team their first game of the year this Sunday against the Lions academy at their Springfield ground. The remaining games against Tasmania and the Swans academy will be played at Heritage and at the Southport Sharks.

uctof5U.png
Watters is an '06 birthday. That's next years draft. Not sure if he will meet the residential requirements (if it's 5 years) if he's in next years draft.

Watters is an '06 birthday. That's next years draft. Not sure if he will meet the residential requirements (if it's 5 years) if he's in next years draft.
I guess we'll see. It appears Josh didn't play any junior footy in 2020 but did play for Coolangatta in 2021. So perhaps the Watters family moved into our zone in that initial 2020 covid lockdown period when it got really restrictive in Victoria. In which case he would fulfil the assumed five-year criteria. Time will tell but I'm assuming he's eligible until we're told otherwise.

SUNS Academy begin Under 18 Performance Program​

The GC SUNS Academy is continuing its commitment to best preparing its up-and-coming Gold Coast talent for the demands of AFL football with an Under 18 Performance Program beginning on Tuesday night.

The 11-week program, first implemented in 2022, includes a hand-picked selection of 14 Academy players aged between 17 and 19 years and is designed to give young players a taste of what the professional environment is like, including a week immersed in the club’s AFL program.

SUNS Academy Under 18 Male Performance Program Members
Matthew Evans
Will Graham
Finlay Gray
Lachlan Gulbin
Joe Kennedy
Zai Millane
Caleb Nancarrow
Ethan Read
Jake Rogers
Jed Walter
Nick Williams
Oscar Wood
Josh Zanker-Close
Surprised to see no Cooper Hynes or Nelson - Beikoff- Smart… both put together solid bottom age campaigns and should be looking to have a strong year next year. Maybe the suns are trying to develop other kids that may have not played as many games as Hynes or Beikoff Smart.

Surprised to see no Cooper Hynes or Nelson - Beikoff- Smart… both put together solid bottom age campaigns and should be looking to have a strong year next year. Maybe the suns are trying to develop other kids that may have not played as many games as Hynes or Beikoff Smart.

Agree. Very strange “high performance” U18 group.

Few of these players struggled to crack a game in the U18 squad this year. Grey hasn’t played a game of footy for 18 months…

Maybe giving opportunities to players who suffered long term injuries, as Zanker missed most of the rep season too.

As long as you don't make finals, of course. Otherwise its 2/3

But good chance they drop, as clubs are a tad hesitant to bid on players if they dont there is no chance at getting them, unless it helps them.

As long as you don't make finals, of course. Otherwise its 2/3

But good chance they drop, as clubs are a tad hesitant to bid on players if they dont there is no chance at getting them, unless it helps them.
Just to be clear, the finals restriction is only on the amount of bids we can match, not the amount of first round players we can draft. We still retain the right to trade up the draft order and use that pick to draft one of our academy stars. So if a bid comes through for Walter at pick #2, then we use our two earliest picks to match that bid before trading our future first round pick and a third rounder to secure pick #7 which we use to draft Read. Then we match the pick #13 bid for Rogers using our remaining second/third round picks.

Bang! We get all three academy stars after competing in our first ever finals series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the Hall of Fame ceremony tonight and hearing the stories about the '01 draft class of talent from the Geelong Falcons and the draftees that ended up at the Cats (Gary Ablett Jr, Jimmy Bartel, Steve Johnson) along with other influential Falcons juniors like Ling and Scarlett who all came together to achieve something great at the Cats really got me thinking about the potential we have this year with our very own trio of Gold Coast bred talent that all appear to be first round draftees. Geelong have always done a good job of drafting/trading in their own when the opportunity arises and I certainly think it's a model we should be looking to replicate if we can continue to develop high end talent through our academy. The players who are from the Geelong area seem genuinely passionate about representing the Cats and I dream of a day where our juniors also dream about pulling on our jumper but that's not going to happen overnight. Perhaps this is the start though. We can only hope.

Big game for our academy boys tomorrow when the Allies take on Vic Metro at the Brisbane Lions' training facility. A win would essentially guarantee the Allies their first ever National Championships title and I'd say Walter, Read and Rogers will have a lot to do with the result should it occur. Our boys making history on the national stage is pretty cool.

Big game for our academy boys tomorrow when the Allies take on Vic Metro at the Brisbane Lions' training facility. A win would essentially guarantee the Allies their first ever National Championships title and I'd say Walter, Read and Rogers will have a lot to do with the result should it occur. Our boys making history on the national stage is pretty cool.
We a snowballs?

2pm is the start time for the Allies v Vic Metro game today. Walter, Rogers, Read and Graham are all playing and Lombard has been named an emergency so he could potentially play too if there's a late out. If the Allies win this game then it's very likely they will win the National Championship for the first time in history. Hopefully all our boys play well and make some history today!

Walter with 3 in the first and some highlight plays. Couple of good contested marks. Great work rate.
Rogers a goal and in everything.
Read was the dominant ruck that qtr. Pushing forward and also back to help in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back