Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit like this year with Lombard being the only guaranteed draftee from our academy. I know a lot was made of our academy quartet from last year, but I very much doubt we'll ever see anything close to that ever again and we'll probably be lucky to have just one standout a year from here onwards. Seems like this is the production line of academy standouts at the moment:

2024: Leo Lombard
2025: Zeke Uwland
2026: Archie Hill

No other players seem to be putting their hand up at the moment. We'll find out next week if there are any 2027 standouts coming through when the U15 National Championships take place. Taj Murray was named as an U15 AA last year as a bottom ager so it'll be interesting to see if he can back that up with AA selection this year as well.

Wasn’t 2025 the supposed super year again?

Under 16s AA last year was Murray, Patterson, Uwland, White and Addinsall. All but White have played VFL this year

Under 16s AA last year was Murray, Patterson, Uwland, White and Addinsall. All but White have played VFL this year
Zeke the only one there that looks seriously draftable right about now. Lots to play out though. White isn't close to being an AFL talent.

That's what the Victorian media wanted everyone to believe so they could attack our academy access, but the proof is in the pudding and Zeke Uwland looks like the only standout right now. Outside of Zeke, Kalani White was the only other one in that draft class who made the Allies team this year and he struggled his way through one game before the coaches realised he wasn't up to it and chose not to select him again. The difference between U16 & U18 footy is massive and so many of our draft prospect fall away in those years. We seen it play out over the last 18 months with our 2022 U16 AA CHF Caleb Nancarrow, who would be lucky to even be rookie drafted at this point.

We'll see how they go next year but Zeke is certainly well ahead of the others right now.

That's what the Victorian media wanted everyone to believe so they could attack our academy access, but the proof is in the pudding and Zeke Uwland looks like the only standout right now. Outside of Zeke, Kalani White was the only other one in that draft class who made the Allies team this year and he struggled his way through one game before the coaches realised he wasn't up to it and chose not to select him again. The difference between U16 & U18 footy is massive and so many of our draft prospect fall away in those years. We seen it play out over the last 18 months with our 2022 U16 AA CHF Caleb Nancarrow, who would be lucky to even be rookie drafted at this point.

We'll see how they go next year but Zeke is certainly well ahead of the others right now.
I wouldn't discount Jai Murray just yet. Watch with interest next year. Like Will Graham, he's my favorite from this bunch. Beau Addinsal and Dylan Patterson also still worth working on.

Inside the challenges of Gold Coast’s Aussie rules boom and the plans to navigate them​

Aussie rules is booming in Queensland, so much so that it is tipped to soon overtake heartland state South Australia for participants.

But growth rarely comes without growing pains. So much so that one club president fears someone could be hit by a car, such is the congestion simply trying to get to the footy oval.

“It is literally tetris every weekend,” explains Burleigh Bombers president Jarrod Curtis.

“Parking has become more and more of a challenge. The problem that we’ve got is it’s at a point now where I’m frightened someone might get hit.

“Just due to the congestion that there is and the impatience people have trying to get to the venue or gain access to the venue.”

The Bombers have about 670 registered players across 39 teams, and just the one oval.

The Broadbeach Cats have also been squeezed by a similar player boom. Since junior president Jason Cunningham took over the role in 2018, player numbers at the club have doubled - and then some - from about 370 to 800. Women’s footy has been the greatest driving force, with 22 girls becoming 225 over the past seven years.

Mr Cunningham estimates 1000 people will traverse through the club’s ground on gameday.

“The big difference is instead of finishing at 3 o’clock we now finish at 6 o’clock, it’s very stretchy for the volunteers,” Mr Cunningham said.

The Cats have access to the adjacent Merrimac State High School carpark and ground which alleviates a portion of the stress, however parking can still be a major problem when they host carnival days at the school.

“They’re parked everywhere, they’re parked illegally as you drive into Dunlop Court where it’s very dangerous with cars going past,” Mr Cunningham said.

“AFL on the Gold Coast has gone mad.”

Head of AFL Queensland Trisha Squires said that there had been a remarkable 52 per cent jump in participation across the Gold Coast since just 2019.

She noted that in that time, goal posts had been installed at six new school ovals to try and facilitate the game’s boom.

“Our Gold Coast football clubs have delivered fantastic programs and pathways for participants that have contributed significantly to the growth of the game in the region,” Ms Squires said.

“AFL Queensland has a strong working relationship with the City of Gold Coast for facility planning and seasonal club operations.

“The need for more AFL ovals on the Gold Coast is critical. Currently, there is on average 442 participants per one oval on the Gold Coast, which is well over the average of 366 per oval across Southeast Queensland.

“We are keen to play a role in the solution and as such are working with the City of Gold Coast to develop innovative ways to alleviate this problem, including installing lights at school sites.”
Unbelievable increases in participation occurring on the Gold Coast over the last five years. The sporting preferences for junior athletes on the Gold Coast are going to look very different in 10-20 years if this keeps up. We may very well be on the verge of a golden generation and our academy is playing a huge role in nurturing these prospects.

Unbelievable increases in participation occurring on the Gold Coast over the last five years. The sporting preferences for junior athletes on the Gold Coast are going to look very different in 10-20 years if this keeps up. We may very well be on the verge of a golden generation and our academy is playing a huge role in nurturing these prospects.

That's a clever initiative with the schools. 'Hey we will pay to put floodlights on your oval, if we can use it for free for the next 20 years'. It's getting innovative, which is good.

There is also the famous statistic that anyone that plays a sport for 3 years is significantly more likely to be a lifelong fan of the sport, than those that don't. That's why the afl go really hard on participation in growth areas.

The U15 National Championships wrapped up yesterday and the Queensland team finished third with wins over the ACT & South Australia in the group stages as well as a third place crossover win against New South Wales. They lost to Victoria and Western Australia along the way. It looks like the best player from our academy was Burleigh's Kodi Wallace who was named in the bests in every game and kicked two goals in the third place playoff with NSW. Not sure if he made the AA team, but that's a pretty good performance from Kodi Wallace.

It looks like the best player from our academy was Burleigh's Kodi Wallace who was named in the bests in every game and kicked two goals in the third place playoff with NSW. Not sure if he made the AA team, but that's a pretty good performance from Kodi Wallace.
Burleigh's Kodi Wallace and Taj Murray were both named in the U15 AA team over the weekend. Impressive from Murray to make the AA team in back-to-back years. The Burleigh footy factory continues to pump them out.

So here is the final tally of AAs from our academy this year:

U15 - Kodi Wallace (Burleigh), Taj Murray (Burleigh)
U16 - Archie Hill (Broadbeach)
U18 - Leo Lombard (Burleigh/Broadbeach), Zeke Uwland (Burleigh - bottom ager)

Does anyone know how our academy boys went in the U17s state game yesterday? I know the result which was Queensland 12.10 (82) def. Victoria Metro 8.12 (60) but I don't know who played well. Hoping to hear Zeke the Freak had a big game.

Does anyone know how our academy boys went in the U17s state game yesterday? I know the result which was Queensland 12.10 (82) def. Victoria Metro 8.12 (60) but I don't know who played well. Hoping to hear Zeke the Freak had a big game.
Zeke played well. I wasn't familar with the team in general, but they looked strong. Good ball users, next years allies team will be stacked.

Zeke played well. I wasn't familar with the team in general, but they looked strong. Good ball users, next years allies team will be stacked.
Good to know. An away win against Vic Metro in the U17s is very impressive so I believe what you're suggesting about them looking strong. Perhaps the Allies will claim a second National Championship next year. That'll definitely start some conversations around splitting up the Allies team and allowing Queensland to compete as a standalone state in the Div I National Championships (just like the female version).

The exciting part for us is knowing that the majority of the standout 2025 prospects from Queensland are in our academy.

Good to know. An away win against Vic Metro in the U17s is very impressive so I believe what you're suggesting about them looking strong. Perhaps the Allies will claim a second National Championship next year. That'll definitely start some conversations around splitting up the Allies team and allowing Queensland to compete as a standalone state in the Div I National Championships (just like the female version).

The exciting part for us is knowing that the majority of the standout 2025 prospects from Queensland are in our academy.
I took some footage. I'll put it together tomorrow.
I was more focusing on vic metro (with tommy mcguane playing) but did capture some stuff, so I'll see its any useful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've seen a number of outstanding VFL performances in recent weeks from the 2024 draft crop and this one is right up there with the best of them. It was the second quarter in which Leo went full on must watch box office gold, racking up damaging touches, kicking three goals of his own and launching many other dangerous sequences for his team. Anything less than a top 10 bid would be an insult.

From Rookie Me Central about the u17s game

RMC BEST:
Queensland:
D. Annable, D. Patterson, B. Addinsall, K. Coulson, C. Collins, Z. Uwland

Addinsall another great year. Probably not better than Lombard. But surprised to see why so many just 3 weeks ago said him and Dylan had down years on this forum

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back