AD is correct

Remove this Banner Ad

uncojo

Rookie
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Andy D pretty much summed up how a lot of people feel about the Tom Scully/Melbourne/GWS scenario. Did any fuss get made when top draft picks Jeff White, Anthony Rocca, Shannon Grant and also Nathan Buckley fled their teams more or less as soon as they could after they got drafted??

Just deal with it and move on people, it's not the first time it has happened and won't be the last if it does eventuate.

I am sure Sydney, Brisbane and Freo were disappointed to lose the above players but it happens so too bad!

Why do people keep using Jeff White as an example?

It's a pretty shit one.

We gave up picks 3 and 20 iirc, White had been at his club three years and had been given limited opportunities, White is Victorian... also he was told he would be the first choice ruck.

White had played 32 games in 3 years. That's not an unreasonable amount of game time for a #1 pick. Jack Watts is in his third year and has played 27 so far.

White was also not Freo's #1 ruckman at that time - Matthew Burton was. White also had to learn more about rucking, he wasn't a ready-made AFL footballer. Freo got two picks in the trade (which they obviously wasted, being Freo), but the supporters should still feel aggrieved that White went back to Melbourne after the amount of time Freo had put into his game.

But you are correct in that it's not the best comparison. I only chose it because it involves Melbourne.

Dees supporters can't cry foul, however, if all they're saying is that "he's a #1 pick, he should stay with us longer". Because that ain't gonna happen all the time.

Another thing, that if i were a Melbourne supporter would annoy me, is that it is the AFL's fault Scully may leave. No other club could possibly match what GWS is throwing at him. It's not like he would be leaving for opportunity, or for a better culture, he is leaving pure and simple because the AFL have thrown money at GWS, and they are throwing it at Scully.

Take out the AFL's monstrosity, and Scully probably stays a demon for life. Just as Gieschen defends every wrong umpiring decision in his little video every week, AD defends everything wrong the AFL do every week. The Dees just have to hope they get more than what they paid for Scully.

The level of media boo-hoo for the Demons is ridiculous.

The Lions have already lost 2 players to an expansion side, and Mitch Clark looks to be the third. Walker will be the Crows' second player lost to an expansion side.

Why the disproportionate level of media angst about the prospect of Scully going? I find it very hard to feel sorry for them, especially considering the dodgy way in which they got him. The Lions have never deliberately lost games to improve their draft position, ditto the Crows. As a result, you'll have to forgive me for not shedding a tear for teams who manipulated results to accrue draft bonuses. Sure, the AFL provided the incentives to do so, but clubs make the final decision to play along. Scully leaving IMO would simply be Melbourne paying the "integrity tax".

Why do people keep using Jeff White as an example?

It's a pretty shit one.

We gave up picks 3 and 20 iirc, White had been at his club three years and had been given limited opportunities, White is Victorian... also he was told he would be the first choice ruck.

This. And in regards to Buckley, Brisbane always knew he could potentially return to Melbourne after one year. How were we to know GWS would go around poaching brand new players at no cost to them, and little compensation to the victimised teams?

The Lions have already lost 2 players to an expansion side, and Mitch Clark looks to be the third. Walker will be the Crows' second player lost to an expansion side.

Why the disproportionate level of media angst about the prospect of Scully going? I find it very hard to feel sorry for them, especially considering the dodgy way in which they got him. The Lions have never deliberately lost games to improve their draft position, ditto the Crows. As a result, you'll have to forgive me for not shedding a tear for teams who manipulated results to accrue draft bonuses. Sure, the AFL provided the incentives to do so, but clubs make the final decision to play along. Scully leaving IMO would simply be Melbourne paying the "integrity tax".
Nail. Hammer. Head.

Why the disproportionate level of media angst about the prospect of Scully going? I find it very hard to feel sorry for them, especially considering the dodgy way in which they got him. Say what you want about Crazy Vossy's trade week etc but one thing the Lions have never done is deliberately lose games to improve their draft position, ditto the Crows.

Lions losing their players was self-inflicted though. When you shop players around it can destroy the loyalty.

As to the Shannon Grant thing, we coughed up our vice captain, it is not like we they got a end of first round draft type of compensation.

As I have said before, I wont shed any tears because Melbourne abused the system, and I have no issue with GC and GWS being given the opportunity to get a decent side, however, their ability to just go down your list and throw a stupid wad of cash at every player and the salary cap inflation that it causes is unfair and will do harm long past their formation period.

It should have been done a lot better but clubs were dumb enough to agree to it.

The AFL also extending the GWS period for 2 years was also under-handed by the AFL. That wasn't what the clubs had agreed to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

White had played 32 games in 3 years. That's not an unreasonable amount of game time for a #1 pick. Jack Watts is in his third year and has played 27 so far.

White was also not Freo's #1 ruckman at that time - Matthew Burton was. White also had to learn more about rucking, he wasn't a ready-made AFL footballer. Freo got two picks in the trade (which they obviously wasted, being Freo), but the supporters should still feel aggrieved that White went back to Melbourne after the amount of time Freo had put into his game.

But you are correct in that it's not the best comparison. I only chose it because it involves Melbourne.

Dees supporters can't cry foul, however, if all they're saying is that "he's a #1 pick, he should stay with us longer". Because that ain't gonna happen all the time.

White left for a combination of greater opportunity, a return to his home state and admittedly a nice pay raise. And Freo got adequately compensated.

Whatever Scully does, it's his choice.. that in itself doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the compensation we will be getting if he leaves. Unless we can replace him adequately then I won't be happy with the situation.

Lions losing their players was self-inflicted though. When you shop players around it can destroy the loyalty.

Heh, amusing how that bit of groupthink has taken hold. Many other clubs have lost players to GC and others will lose them to GWS. Yet for some reason people like to pretend that any player Brisbane loses will be because Rischitelli was floated as tradebait? How long will that shallow thinking hold? If we lose a player in 5 years, will it be because of 2009 trade week too? :rolleyes:

The only one who can play the loyalty card is Rischitelli himself. The others can't play it, and they haven't.

Brennan left because Gold Coast offered him well over market value. If Mitch Clark goes to GWS, it will be for the same reason.

My biggest problem with these two new clubs and their ability to recruit out of contract players is the compensation package the clubs are receiving. It's all right to say players like Buckley, Rocca, White and Grant did the same thing but trades had to be worked out for them. I don't think Geelong received anything near what Ablett was worth. Gold Coast should have had to give up one of the top 3 picks as any starting point. I know if Pendlebury were to go to GWS at the end of next season I'd want Collingwood to be fairly compensated for that. If Scully were to go then a middle of the first round pick (if that's what it turns out to be) isn't good enough.

As long as Scully signs for the Giants I'm happy

You win some things in life (Melbourne gets extra pick via Tanking), you lose some things in life (Melbourne possibley loosing Scully). Suck it up...it evens out at the end

As long as Scully signs for the Giants I'm happy

You win some things in life (Melbourne gets extra pick via Tanking), you lose some things in life (Melbourne possibley loosing Scully). Suck it up...it evens out at the end

Life lesson to be learnt here... which also isn't blatantly obvious!!!!

:rolleyes:

Heh, amusing how that bit of groupthink has taken hold. Many other clubs have lost players to GC and others will lose them to GWS. Yet for some reason people like to pretend that any player Brisbane loses will be because Rischitelli was floated as tradebait? How long will that shallow thinking hold? If we lose a player in 5 years, will it be because of 2009 trade week too? :rolleyes:

The only one who can play the loyalty card is Rischitelli himself. The others can't play it, and they haven't.

Brennan left because Gold Coast offered him well over market value. If Mitch Clark goes to GWS, it will be for the same reason.

Brennan couldn't have been taken by Gold Coast unless Brisbane agreed to it as they had taken Risky. You guys thought it was such a smug abuse of the rules during trade week. You lay with dogs, you get fleas.

Because Scully is Barassi, Flower and Jesus rolled into one.

Everyone knows the rules. A non victorian team takes a player from a victorian team and they deserve to go the Hague for war crimes. But if it happens the other way around then that's just life and we should deal with it.

You people (Victorians) have no idea how frustrating it is supporting a team from another state and then every so often a player acts like a homesick schoolgirl and wants to go home. We've all lost a lot of players to Victoria that way. Now all of a sudden non victorian teams are the cashed up ones and everyone wants to whinge.

Get over it. GWS and GCS will have an enormous amount of young talent, some of which will get homesick and want to go home at some point, and one of your teams will get lucky based on geography. It happens, no use complaining.

This. And in regards to Buckley, Brisbane always knew he could potentially return to Melbourne after one year.

Buckley left to play in a team that would play finals football and win a premiership. He would have had three if he had stayed. Hope he displays the same lack of judgement when he's coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

AD is correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Back