AD is correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley left to play in a team that would play finals football and win a premiership. He would have had three if he had stayed. Hope he displays the same lack of judgement when he's coaching.

Again, Buckley had made an agreement to play with North and had taken the money, meaning it was a valid contract. Brisbane didn't lose any sleep doing a deal with him where he take the Brisbane contract and break ours and they will let him go to whichever team he wanted.

If anyone should be miffed about Buckley it should be us. Shit happens, you make deals and people hold them to you then you can't cry about it.

As long as Scully signs for the Giants I'm happy

You win some things in life (Melbourne gets extra pick via Tanking), you lose some things in life (Melbourne possibley loosing Scully). Suck it up...it evens out at the end

Collingwood lost the last 10 ish games of 2005 to secure the priority pick which netted them Thomas and Pendlebury. They just won a permiership. Karma, shmarma

Brennan couldn't have been taken by Gold Coast unless Brisbane agreed to it as they had taken Risky.

Correct, but Brennan refused to sign a contract with us, thus forcing our hand. It was trade him to Gold Coast or get nothing.

You guys thought it was such a smug abuse of the rules during trade week.

I don't think any of us were smug about it. Just relieved that we managed to extract something positive from a shitty situation where we had a gun to our head.

You lay with dogs, you get fleas.

Your angst regarding this issue is acknowledged, but isn't really relevant to the thread topic. If you are trying to provide a counterpoint to my lack of sorrow regarding the prospect of Melbourne losing Scully, you are taking a seriously big detour.

Collingwood lost the last 10 ish games of 2005 to secure the priority pick which netted them Thomas and Pendlebury. They just won a permiership. Karma, shmarma

A very fair point, but kinda makes it hard to feel sorry for you if Scully walks, no?

The clubs liked the idea of an expansion draft even less than the current set-up so I say deal with it. Given the dollar figure attached to the 2012 TV rights deal I already think the AFL has been vindicated with this expansion. But these teams need to be competitive on-field in 2017 when the deal expires.

There was always going to be a loser in this process and right now it looks like it will be Melbourne. But on the flip side, Richmond need to be given massive credit for signing their young guns and keeping them out of GWS' reach. I don't know if it was purely down to the choices of the individuals (Martin, Jackwoldt etc) or if there was something Richmond has done that Melbourne hasn't. But either way well played Tiges.

Anthony Rocca was worse. He pretty much made it known that he didn't want to be in Sydney and was out of there quicker than you can say "overrated ugly man".
Worse still, he sulked the whole time he was in Sydney. He barely even tried and never played to anything like his potential He couldn't wait to play with his brother, and Sav got traded to North the year he was traded.
At least Shannon Grant was professional about the whole thing.

A very fair point, but kinda makes it hard to feel sorry for you if Scully walks, no?

Meh, if Scully walks for the money then so be it. The real issue is compensation. The OP raises cases like Jeff White but Freo received pick 3 and 20 in return, as well as pick 2 in 1999. If Melbourne had compensation like that I hazard a guess that our supporters wouldn't be too devestated.

That all being said, from what i've been told, i'm fairly certain he will stay. If he does leave, he is one incredibly deceitful individual who has lied uncontrollably.

Didn't Bucks say to Brisbane before they drafted him that he was going to head back to Victoria after his first year?

This whole thing just needs to be put in perspective, sure we as fans may be upset if a future star decides to leave but at the end of the day for blokes like Scully and the likes, this is there job.

anyone in there current job would take a significant pay rise while performing pretey much the same tasks.

As for loyalty,well it is pretty much dead and buried as the club would be the first to move on an underperforming player or someone considered trade bait regardless of what fans may think, and why?..... because its a business

Andy D pretty much summed up how a lot of people feel about the Tom Scully/Melbourne/GWS scenario. Did any fuss get made when top draft picks Jeff White, Anthony Rocca, Shannon Grant and also Nathan Buckley fled their teams more or less as soon as they could after they got drafted??

Just deal with it and move on people, it's not the first time it has happened and won't be the last if it does eventuate.

I am sure Sydney, Brisbane and Freo were disappointed to lose the above players but it happens so too bad!

Buckley had actually dogged a contract to go to North as well as lashing off on Brissy - with full AFL connivance.

When Shagger Grant left, we gave Sydney Wayne Schwass, widely regarded as the most even trade ever.

Most of the guys you mentioned wanted to go home.

Scully will be leaving for money and money only. Very different situation.

You people (Victorians) have no idea how frustrating it is supporting a team from another state and then every so often a player acts like a homesick schoolgirl and wants to go home. We've all lost a lot of players to Victoria that way. Now all of a sudden non victorian teams are the cashed up ones and everyone wants to whinge.

North lost dual premiership player Peter Bell to Freo in the year he won a B+F.

North lost premiership player Byron Pickett to Port where he went on to win a Norm Smith.

When all the expansion teams were set up, Victorian teams lost many players to the go home factor - Ross Glendinning for example.

Stop your non-Victorian martyr complex.

White left for a combination of greater opportunity, a return to his home state and admittedly a nice pay raise. And Freo got adequately compensated.

Whatever Scully does, it's his choice.. that in itself doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the compensation we will be getting if he leaves. Unless we can replace him adequately then I won't be happy with the situation.

Your club (along with the other 15) signed off on the entry of GWS and the concessions provided to enable them to put a list together. If you're not satisfied with the compensation you get for a player who they take, make sure you direct your anger in the right place - back at your club.

Andy D pretty much summed up how a lot of people feel about the Tom Scully/Melbourne/GWS scenario. Did any fuss get made when top draft picks Jeff White, Anthony Rocca, Shannon Grant and also Nathan Buckley fled their teams more or less as soon as they could after they got drafted??

Just deal with it and move on people, it's not the first time it has happened and won't be the last if it does eventuate.

I am sure Sydney, Brisbane and Freo were disappointed to lose the above players but it happens so too bad!

Actually Fremantle bitched and moaned about losing White AND they received picks 2 and 20 in return. Poor Fremantle. If Melbourne were to be compensated in the same way that any of those trades you mentioned were then I wouldn't have an issue either.
I have no problem with Scully if he wants to go, no problem at all because I would understand the driving factor behind the decision.

Poor example by AD, it demonstrates his lack of understanding of the key issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North lost dual premiership player Peter Bell to Freo in the year he won a B+F.

North lost premiership player Byron Pickett to Port where he went on to win a Norm Smith.

When all the expansion teams were set up, Victorian teams lost many players to the go home factor - Ross Glendinning for example.

Stop your non-Victorian martyr complex.
Yep. Scott Thompson leaving just as he was becoming a gun also hurts. But apparently it never happens to Victorian clubs.

Yep. Scott Thompson leaving just as he was becoming a gun also hurts. But apparently it never happens to Victorian clubs.

Another very good example. Your midfield could certainly use him now.

I'd be willing to wager more big name players - Wanganeen, Ben Allan etc to add to others mentioned - have gone home from Vic than from non-Vic states back here.

When someone wants to go back to WA it is always the 'he wants to be with his family and play where he grew up' line.

When Vics come home they are traitorous mercenaries.

Hypocrisy.

Scully will be leaving for money and money only. Very different situation.
Cool, when you asked him that and he told you face to face rather then what you assumed he was going to leave melbourne for, did he also tell you who else was joining GWS? surely you know?

Anthony Rocca ... couldn't wait to play with his brother, and Sav got traded to North the year he was traded. ... .
The underlined part is simply wrong. The Rocca brothers had 4 years together at Collingwood - 1997 to 2000, with Sav mostly at FF, Ants at CHF or CHB. The main problem was that they were too similar. And Sav was not traded to North. He was delisted and North picked him up in the draft. BTW - I don't recall the details now, but I think Sydney were fairly well compensated for losing Rocca.
Buckley had actually dogged a contract to go to North as well as lashing off on Brissy - with full AFL connivance...
What a load of total tripe. Whatever sort of so called "agreement" that Buckley was conned in with North was completely against all the AFL rules (the only "AFL connivance" was the draft, don't you know) and thus it was completely unenforcable. Brisbane selected Buckley with its first pick. North (or for that matter Buckley) never had a say in the matter. No "secondary' contracts have ever ben allowed in the AFL. If it was, then no douby, North would've enforced it.

As for Scully - ultimately, it's his choice where he goes. The compensation needs to be fair though.

What a load of total tripe. Whatever sort of so called "agreement" that Buckley was conned in with North was completely against all the AFL rules (the only "AFL connivance" was the draft, don't you know) and thus it was completely unenforcable. Brisbane selected Buckley with its first pick. North (or for that matter Buckley) never had a say in the matter. No "secondary' contracts have ever ben allowed in the AFL. If it was, then no douby, North would've enforced it.

Poor old Bucks, been "conned" by North. Even into accepting $10,000. Conned right into it.

Poor old Bucks, always a wee lamb, never able to look after his own interests.

The whole Buckley/Brisbane/North/Collingwood/AFL/draft thing was shonky as hell and many sides broke many rules.

Fact is Buckley had agreed to come to North, Collingwood bent/broke rules to get him there, the AFL connived ... and Buckley cost himself the chance of premiership glory.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/07/28/this-isnt-the-first-time-buckleys-snubbed-the-shinboners/

,,, Fact is Buckley had agreed to come to North, Collingwood bent/broke rules to get him there, the AFL connived ...
The fact is that Buckly was drafted by Brisbane who signed him to a 1 year contract. At its expiration, he was then traded to Collingwood. No AFL rules were broken. North had attempted to break them with its illegal, unenforcable contract - but failed. Carry on.

Remove this Banner Ad

AD is correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Back