Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Troy Makepeace getting in on the action

View attachment 1216268

If it makes it easier to read
Carlton
In: Cerra
Out: 6, 25

North
In: 6, 8
Out: 1

Freo
In: 1,25
Out: Cerra, 8

That's a pretty good effort IMO

Stephen O'Reilly.

In all seriousness clubs that lose players tend to come out on top in the trade. Weller to Gold Coast became Brayshaw for us. Brad Hill to the Saints became Caleb Serong and Michael Frederick.
Those were actually two very good trades, i'll give you that. But you also have to look at who was on the other side of those trades. GC and St Kilda (yikes). Potentially two of the three worse clubs at the trade table than Freo (North the other).

Freo got him for pick 5. He has only gotten better since then, and he will play for another 10+ years. I don't know why thinking he is worth two first rounders is such a crazy thing? Brisbane got two picks for Beams if I recall, and he was much much older. Geelong got that for Kelly points wise I believe, or close enough. And Cerra will probably be a better player then Kelly.

I don't think Freo will get that, but I think a top 10 and a late first rounder isn't exactly daylight robbery.
He's uncontracted..

Freo got him for pick 5. He has only gotten better since then, and he will play for another 10+ years. I don't know why thinking he is worth two first rounders is such a crazy thing? Brisbane got two picks for Beams if I recall, and he was much much older. Geelong got that for Kelly points wise I believe, or close enough. And Cerra will probably be a better player then Kelly.

I don't think Freo will get that, but I think a top 10 and a late first rounder isn't exactly daylight robbery.

Treloar went for two first rounders after 4 years at GWS.

Troy Makepeace getting in on the action

View attachment 1216268

If it makes it easier to read
Carlton
In: Cerra
Out: 6, 25

North
In: 6, 8
Out: 1

Freo
In: 1,25
Out: Cerra, 8

That's a pretty good effort IMO

Take 25 and 2022 1st, trade with Brisbane for their 2x 1sts this year? maybe try and switch ours and their first next year so we keep something in the future.

Why are North giving up Pick #1?
JHF may not be keen to head to a Vic/NSW club given the constant COVID issues. may prefer to stay in SA or get to WA. Who knows?

Seriously though I forgot to add Martin/weitering/walsh

Is the other 30 playing for hot dogs and hand shakes
Is there a chance that you’ve been fed bull through the media and your perceived figures are no where near what they are in reality? Clauses, front loading, banked salary cap ect ect. Let’s be honest you would have next to no idea what would be the case with the cap at any club.

I think with a 2R coming back that looks really reasonable.

- Cerra + Freo 2nd Round for SPS + pick #6 (likely #9/#10 after F/S and Academy)

Carlton get a very good, potentially elite outside midfielder and another look in the second round of the draft

Freo get a talented player who has stagnated over the last couple of years but showed glimpses early of being very good and an early to mid first rounder.

Freo give Cerra and a second for pick 6? Because SPS is currently worth 3/5 of **** all

He's uncontracted..

So was Kelly. Heck Jeremy Cameron was and Geelong gave up 3.

At the end of the day, Cerra will be a great compliment to Carlton. If he helps get them into finals and even beyond, it will be worth the two picks. I am not saying it will happen by the way, I imagine it will be somewhere in the middle. But to say it is crazy talk I think is flat out wrong, as many players have gone for 2 round 1 picks who were older or didn't necessarily have Cerras potential.

Treloar went for two first rounders after 4 years at GWS.
With a second going back from memory?

I'd expect Carlton's first rounder and a swap of picks equivalent to a second probably gets it done.
Do Freo have any FS / NGA kids in the next couple of years? That might influence the trade too, as later 2022 picks to cover bids would suddenly become valuable.

Teams who need points (Collingwood/Bulldogs) may be interested in pick swaps too to help the deal along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop bringing up Sam Petrevski-Seton as a viable "piece" to the trade. He's worth 5/8s of **** all. The only reason he's played as many games as he has is the blues haven't realised how soft he is. He doesn't add any value to a trade whatsoever.

He absolutely does not deserve 2 first rounders as a minimum.

Jeeze you'd be pretty one eyed to even think he's anywhere close to that.
Nah, Pick 6 and somewhere between 15-30 would be acceptable picks for me, tbf I don't know how many picks there are per round so I could be off with the calculations.

If Carlton try and split pick 6 into something like 15 and 18 though that's a blatant rip off.

My point is that would be unrealistic. When was the last time Pick #1 was traded in that scenario? Has it ever?
It's definitely unrealistic but worth discussing as an interesting trade idea that is in the ball park. I'd personally take 6 and 8 over pick 1 in almost every draft ever

I think with a 2R coming back that looks really reasonable.

- Cerra + Freo 2nd Round for SPS + pick #6 (likely #9/#10 after F/S and Academy)

Carlton get a very good, potentially elite outside midfielder and another look in the second round of the draft

Freo get a talented player who has stagnated over the last couple of years but showed glimpses early of being very good and an early to mid first rounder.
SPS is delist material, he's worse than Acres and Blakely. There's no way that him and Pick 6 are a fair deal.

I will plant my flag and die on this hill. SPS is worth nothing, yet alone a 2nd rounder. Stagnated is a generous term when he wasnt picked for their last game and they had 15 players injured.

Cerra is most definitely worth more than pick 6 (8 after F/S)
Totally agree, we have enough list cloggers now, would rather take picks than the guys being offered.

GWS gave Collingwood Treloar and pick 28 in return for the Pies’ first picks in 2 drafts, in addition to pick 62. (treloar was 22 at the time of the deal. Cerra is a better kick than treloar and is improving his ball volume)
Shiel and a future second round pick got to the Bombers in exchange for pick nine and a future first-round pick. (Shiel was 25 at the time of the trade. Cerra is a better kick than Shiel)

Zac Williams deal was big enough to get GWS pick 10 as a free agent deal. Williams is half the footballer Cerra is

Adam Saad age 26 at trade The Blues have sent picks No.8 and 87 to the Bombers, who will return picks No.48 and 78 to the Blues.

Cerra is already a better footballer than Saad...comfortably.

Personally I can't see anything less than Shiel or Treloar

Last edited:
I think Carlton should choose either, pick 6 plus 25 plus SPS or pick 6 plus their first round pick next year. if we take SPS you have extra money for the OOC players.

Legit question I would have thought - not sure many other clubs would have that many players on such big contracts no matter if they have been front ended or back ended

Not really - I reckon you could put down a similar list at most clubs.

My frustration here is not with you, but rather with the media. They make things up, they get called out for it, and yet people still lap up everything they put forward as though it is gospel.

Isn't it strange that all year the media has pushed that Carlton has a 'tight cap' yet now all of a sudden they're the only Victorian team that can afford Cerra? I mean come on!

The reality is they have no idea. Or perhaps more accurately they choose to pretend to have no idea because the sensationalist headline sells better.

From a Carlton perspective, all reports indicate player payments were a mess prior to SOS returning to the club and a lot of his work was on getting that structure right.

Just two years ago Carlton had space to add all of Coniglio, Papley, Martin, yet only secured the latter. Since then we've added Williams on big coin, and re-signed McKay and Weitering.

Earlier this year our CEO said publicly our cap has space to go around again at the end of the year. Maybe he's telling the truth, maybe he's not, but a quick sense check tells me he probably is.

Let others lap up the thought that Carlton has a tight cap and "OMG HOW CAN THEY AFFORD ALL THESE PLAYERS!?! insert brownpaperbag.gif". It's such a tired and frankly lazy narrative.

For the purpose of the discussion on this board, if they're in for him, they can afford him.

Your club has history of massive cheating the cap, dishonest with disclosure and whatever it takes mentality.

Chris Judd and other players getting paid to do some school visits for VISY. No commercial value to VISY.

I really don't trust your dodgy board.

You don't know what you don't know.

I know this isn't the place to discuss the above. There are other boards for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

Back